Gear recommendations for a young girl - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gear recommendations for a young girl

My youngest daughter (11 years old and on the small side) has been asking to go with me on rides now for almost a year.

We have a helmet picked out that provides comfort and safety (full face HJC CL-Y).

Sadly gloves, jacket, boots and pants seem to be very hard to get ahold of or non-existant. We finally found one from Tourmaster that provides venting, armor and comfort made just for youths. Now to find the other required gear.

Any suggestions? I'm really pegging the need for gear as I see her riding when she is older and I want the ATGATT ingrained into her before that can occur. I was thinking about the smallest women's pants as I'm sure they make them in her size so we are researching that angle.

"Why do I ride?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 10:08 AM

Google "kids motocross gear" and you should find lots of suppliers. Kudos to your ATGATT approach.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 01:38 PM

My daughter had two sets of proper riding gear from BabyBiker in the UK. Nothing like it in the US but they ship. She had the GR8 jacket and pants. It was a family business and it took couple days to get email replies so I just called them.

EDIT: Link for Baby Biker

http://www.babybiker.com/

(Check the USA Enquiries link at the top for ordering information)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

Last edited by Bones; 02-04-2012 at 04:27 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
In some states it is a requirement for the passengers feet to touch the foot rests. You will probably have more luck with motocross gear since they market smaller bikes for youth.

Good luck.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

That's what I have been thinking also. At least for boots and pants. We did find a jacket will full armor yesterday and the nice thing is it fits my oldest and my youngest. I guess they are getting big as its a lady's XS...

"Why do I ride?"

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:22 AM

Just be sure that the motocross gear actually has armor that would be good for street riding or you may want to replace it if possible.

Some women's brands sell pant sizes in short, so that may help out if you can get things to fit waist-wise. I think Fieldsheer sells shorts, though I've never personally tried any of their pants.

Although I rarely buy gear from them, Motorcycle-Superstore is one of the few places with lots of reviews on women's MC gear, so you may get lucky with comments about fitting girls/petite women.

Put the rubber on the road and leave it all behind.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

Update:

Helmet has been found from HJC, full face with visor. Daughter picked out the gloss black her thought was "I can put stickers on it yeah!".

Gloves we actually found a smaller cut women's glove that seemed to fit VERY well. Icon Merc Long Gloves. Nice armor on the knuckle, padded palm and over the wrist protection. Managed to pick them up from bikebandit.com on clearance. Picked up two sets.

Helmet should be here today and gloves should be here in a few days. She's been watching the UPS man like a hawk and when he doesn't stop at our house she goes "darn UPS man still doesn't have my packages, doesn't he know I have things to do".

She cracks me up.

"Why do I ride?"

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Here's a reply for those with younger kids:
- started my kids from around 2 to 3 years old. Got them helmets that fit, MX boots, leather gloves and leather pants, then took a piece of seat-belt fabric around 36" long, looped the ends and had them sewed by a shoe repair fellow, and they became "stirrups". Looped them over the front of the seat, put the kid IN FRONT of me so that my arms encircled them and their feet went into the "stirrups" so they could keep their weight onto their boots and NOT on their lower abdomens. They would either hold the handlebars inboard of my hands, or sit back and put their hands onto my forearms. Rode with both my boys for years that way, on dirt and street bikes, and then they graduated to a Suzuki JR50, then Honda XL 75 and 125s.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Just an update on this.

so far I've managed to get my youngest a jacket, helmet and gloves that fit superbly using small sizes for women.

To get past the no leg armor I bought some CE approved removable shin and knee protection she can strap on underneath her jeans. Last item will be a nice set of boots.

Anyway here she is modeling her new gear.

Joe Rocket textile women's small jacket with venting and armor. Also includes a nice thermal liner.

HJC CL-Y helmet

Icon Mercenary Long gloves women's size small. They run a bit on the small side from the reviews and sure enough they fit her perfectly!

She is waiting for a nice warm day for us to hit the big empty parking lot near us so we can practice starting and stopping with her on the Versys. I thought I had a eagle eye on the ten day out forecast but she has me beat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-03-03 09.37.28.jpg (103.7 KB, 52 views)

"Why do I ride?"

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
I thought I had a eagle eye on the ten day out forecast but she has me beat.

She's lookin like a real biker, Mike. Good to see that she's learning to gear up; that'll stick with her.

George
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Oh yes she is and she actually gave me a bit of heck yesterday. I was a bit late in the morning and it was so nice out I decided to just not wear my overpants.

When I got home she was waiting for me, overpants in hand no less.

"Excuse me Mr. Man but why weren't you wearing these? Skin costs less to replace than pants! sheesh dad!"

We had a good chuckle after I picked my jaw up off the floor. I told her she was correct and that I made a bonehead decision based on time and personal choice and that if something happened I had no one to blame but myself.

"Why do I ride?"

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 10:20 AM

Also, CyclePort will custom make jackets and pants, with armor, to fit.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
"Excuse me Mr. Man but why weren't you wearing these? Skin costs less to replace than pants! sheesh dad!"

We had a good chuckle after I picked my jaw up off the floor. I told her she was correct and that I made a bonehead decision based on time and personal choice and that if something happened I had no one to blame but myself.
Kids say the darndest things but how true it is at times, good on you for getting her the right gear, Have taken my sons on the back and made them wear my spare gear, boots and all and they 18 and 21 but they don't ride but if they go on back are going to have the right gear. Was a bit naughty with my 21 year old as he has been in a lot of serious trouble so i really gave him a ride and had the bike just about scraping pegs at speed but he said nothing to me after but said to his mum when i was not around "dad is nuts", got told off by the wife but it was worth it.

Your daughter looks real cool, nice photo.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Well we managed to secure an ok set of boots. Not up to our safety standards but the leather was thick and had some reinforcement in the toe and heel. Also had some wool lining on the inside.

Tested them by winging them across the pavement in the driveway as hard as a I could. Not even a scuff. Was tempted to run over them with the car.

So my friend comes over at 11:30 and he had promised her a long time ago to take her for a ride. So on the back of his Boulevard (he has a backrest also which I bet just made her feel a little safer) she goes and we wind up in downtown Frederick at Brewer's Alley. She was in love with the experience. We head to a parking lot and she gets on the Versys and we run some turns, stops and emergency stops so we can both get comfortable with the idea.

We go for about an hour and half ride through the back roads and through some real long sweeping switchbacks and at one point I hear "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" . The girl showed no fear and was loving life. I had to force myself to relax because all I could think of if I mess up my baby will be in danger. I think I was more worried than she was.

Here we are after our first ride together. Her final comment to me "So when do we go camping Dad and can you please make sure its a longer ride?" Her only complaint was that we didn't go longer and she would like a back rest if at all possible.

I'm in contact with motoport and have the guidelines for getting pants made so she will be even safer in the future. I asked her if there was any point during the ride she felt scared. Her answer "Nope I just hang on and smile"

I loved the fact she wanted to share this with me and I swear I had some dust in my eyes after we got home and she was telling me about how much she enjoyed it. I work a lot of long hard hours and my time with my daughters is very precious to me. My middle daughter has no interest in the motorcycle and my oldest is approaching it very slowly. It's funny because my youngest who was with me yesterday already has two possible motorcycles picked out for herself when she is old enough to drive and she devours the Motorcycle magazine as soon as they hit the mailbox. She was supremely torqued when I sold my little Ninja 250 because it was "her's". She said she wants a BMW GS650 or a Ninja 250.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bugandme.jpg (110.6 KB, 55 views)

"Why do I ride?"

Last edited by MikeV; 03-12-2012 at 07:28 AM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 07:45 AM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to ZaethDekar
Thats an awesome tale... I don't have kids of my own (don't plan on it for a long while... considering I am only 23) but I can't wait to see what happens when I do.

Steve
34000 miles and counting!
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 07:52 AM

Clicking the [Like] button.

Drove my little one around the block. I keep watching the house-drive-by video.

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)

Last edited by hdatontodo; 03-12-2012 at 11:59 AM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

I like the boom mike on the helmet.

"Why do I ride?"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode