Ear plugs - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ear plugs

I have read in several posts on here, about people using ear plugs. I had never used them before, nor even heard of using them. 99% of my riding previous to my Versys had been riding and racing dirt bikes. This past weekend I bought a box of foam ear plugs, WOW, is all I can say. Absolutely loved riding with them.

I just wanted to "Thank You" to the forum and everyone who suggested them. The dollar per smile ratio is off the charts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 08:48 AM

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 03:20 PM

FYI: The wax ones work even better,esp at higher speeds.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 03:26 PM

I did my 200 mile ride to the Grand Canyon and back with foam earplugs, and I agree, they made a big difference. I hadn't realized how bothersome the wind noise was, even with my Shoei which is known for pretty good protection. I could still hear larger vehicles, and the sound of the engine to a certain degree, which is always a welcome sound!
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:02 PM

I wear a half helmet and discovered ear plugs after I got an ear infection years ago. Now I never ride more than 25 miles without them. It used to take me several minutes to regain decent hearing after riding all day with the wind in my ears. Not so when I use ear plugs. Haven't had another ear infection either. Makes sense. I have always used the foam plugs; I think they are more comfortable.

Bama Dan

Current Stable:
'08 Versys
'09 Piaggio BV250
'04 Harley Ultra Classic w/ Bushtec trailer
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:22 PM

I bought some at Gander Mountain. You mix two parts together and push it in your ear as a putty. After 5-10 minutes, you pull out a "cured" ear plug. Then you have a set that fits your ear perfectly. More comfortable than the foam IMO.

I ride on longer rides with them. If just hopping across town, I don't bother.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:46 PM

I went the pricier route and had custom ear plugs made by a hearing aid shop. Night and day when compared to the throw aways I used to use.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Never use them. They would interfere with my music or phone calls.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 08:57 PM

I can't believe I rode for so many years without them! Not surprised that I now have tinitus (ringing ears). Most of the time I wear the foam plugs but when I was at Sturgis this year...and yes, I took my V instead of my Harley....I bought a set of custom made silicone plugs from "Big Ear". Not cheap, but they work great after you get used to them. Big difference between these and the foam ones, but I still use the foamies for running around town.

Mark Jags
[[/FONT]

09 Blue V
03 H-D Sportster - 50K miles and counting...
08 Bonneville - wife's bike

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Ear plug is a must for motorcycle riders, but the choice is yours.

http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/topic.asp?topic_id=90

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Ear plug is a must for motorcycle riders, but the choice is yours.

http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/topic.asp?topic_id=90

Good article. I agree with the author, I can actually hear better when I'm wearing the ear plugs. Also, I had no idea wind noise was that loud and damaging. Thanks for posting.

With the earplugs in, I now notice how much the wind is pushing me around on the motorcycle. My new windscreen will be here today, hopefully that will help calm the wind down some.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampana View Post
I went the pricier route and had custom ear plugs made by a hearing aid shop. Night and day when compared to the throw aways I used to use.
Interesting. What did that cost you?

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

|
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:09 PM

I always wear ear plugs if I plan on going over ~50 mph. Wind noise is distracting and damaging over the long haul. Plus it helps muffle the fairing buzz on the 500 Check with your local laws though. I believe it's illegal in some states to ride with ear plugs. Here in California, it's illegal to drive with both ears plugged, unless it's to provide protection against hearing damage. I got pulled over the other day, and the cop looked at me funny when I took my helmet off and pulled out ear plugs, but didn't say anything about them...
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 01:17 PM

I use my custom ear plugs with my Scale rider g4 blue tooth helmet head set and can hear the music just fine.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Never use them. They would interfere with my music or phone calls.
What? WHAT? WHAT DO YOU SAY? I CANT HEAR YOU. CAN YOU SPEAK LOADER?

That is what you pay for listening to your music and answering phone calls when you ride without earplugs.

FYI The phone calls and the music sounds better when you can muffle some of the wind noise.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 07:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
What? WHAT? WHAT DO YOU SAY? I CANT HEAR YOU. CAN YOU SPEAK LOADER?

That is what you pay for listening to your music and answering phone calls when you ride without earplugs.

FYI The phone calls and the music sounds better when you can muffle some of the wind noise.
Don't have any wind noise.....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 08:54 PM

Am using foam plugs. Muffled the noise considerably and a very good insulator if it sealed properly (which requires alot of tries to get it right). Nonetheless i choose foam because it's cheap and easily replaceable.

Plus i dont listen to music or take calls on rides. To each his own.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 12:26 AM

Not all foam plugs are equal. I've tried many, ranging from crappy (cheap hard ones that look like they'd hurt from Ace Hardware and crappy free ones from various airlines' first/business class), to middle of the road ones from the local pharmacy rated to protect 10-15dB, to nicer ones I picked up at the gun range that protect 20-30dB. When buying earplugs, I recommend reading the back to see if they've been rated.

The ones I have now I got at Cabela's and are rated for 30dB and I use them for the gun range (in addition to over the ear protection). I also use them for long road trips in my weekend car (aftermarket muffler is louder than inside an airplane... ~90dB on the highway, 100+dB at full throttle). I plan to use them for long trips on the V as well.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 06:31 AM

On the same bike with Weljo. Love my music. Very happy with Nakamichi's NEP-S800 (http://nakamichi.iluvfantasy.com/mod..._personal&id=4)

Doesn't come off when the helmet comes off. No sound of wind.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I tried the ear plugs before and I wasn't happy..

the solution that I have now and I'm very happy with it:
Givi windshield that I raised it another 20 cm from the standard position with the OEM windshield on the bottom in upside down position.
I have no wind noise and up to about 75km/h I can listen to my music with my visor up.
I have re-purposed some headphones that I removed the plastic and put the speakers inside the helmet.

I have nothing in my ears and it's BEAUTIFUL!! and of course, I love my music

ps. I don't do much highway.

Versys 2015 Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode