Electric Vest Wiring? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Electric Vest Wiring?

With the weather in OH being unusually mild (and rideable), I'm thinking of an electric vest from Aerostich or maybe Gerbing. How do these things connect to the wiring harness? And which connector is right or best: SAE, SAE with a lighted switch, or Quiconnect 2? (I assume the BMW is not applicable to us.)
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 08:15 PM

Using the principle of K.I.S.S.

Battery to SAE "Stub" and SAE to "lighter"
Only the SAE stub stays in place, and that portion can be installed in minutes.

SAE to Coax

This provides three adapter formats for:
trickle charger connection,
12volt USB connection,
coax Vest connection
automotive GPS connection
lighter to lighter "jump start"
etc.

Many other options can be seen here

http://www.pashnit.com/product/powerlet/outlet.html

Mine when not in use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAE Stub.jpg (31.5 KB, 125 views)

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 01-30-2012 at 04:45 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 06:07 AM

Heated gear is a great idea. Get a jacket liner instead of a vest...keeping your arms warm helps enormously.

You may want to get a Heatroller or similar device so you can dial in the amount of heat the liner provides, otherwise you'll have a choice of off or full roast.

I have the coax type cable which is easy to connect while wearing gloves, although there's nothing wrong with the SAE variety.

As far as BMW type goes, that's for the plug and yes it applies to motorcycles. It's a much more reliable alternative to the cigarette lighter plug. You can get waterproof ones from a marine supply store. One handy place to mount the plug is on the handlebar. There's this one (http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...th-Fuse)...try a google search for BMW outlet and you'll find many alternatives.

You can wire straight to the battery, just don't leave your gear plugged in when you're not running the motor. If you're worried about that, run it through a relayed fuse block.

EDIT: Make sure your circuit is fused. The battery harness that Gerbing supplies is fused.

It's easy to install all of that stuff...if I can do it, so can most anyone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

Last edited by Bones; 01-30-2012 at 06:13 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Heated gear is a great idea. Get a jacket liner instead of a vest...keeping your arms warm helps enormously.

You may want to get a Heatroller or similar device so you can dial in the amount of heat the liner provides, otherwise you'll have a choice of off or full roast.

I have the coax type cable which is easy to connect while wearing gloves, although there's nothing wrong with the SAE variety.

As far as BMW type goes, that's for the plug and yes it applies to motorcycles. It's a much more reliable alternative to the cigarette lighter plug. You can get waterproof ones from a marine supply store. One handy place to mount the plug is on the handlebar. There's this one (http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...th-Fuse)...try a google search for BMW outlet and you'll find many alternatives.

You can wire straight to the battery, just don't leave your gear plugged in when you're not running the motor. If you're worried about that, run it through a relayed fuse block.

EDIT: Make sure your circuit is fused. The battery harness that Gerbing supplies is fused.

It's easy to install all of that stuff...if I can do it, so can most anyone.
+1 on jacket over vest. A jacket's heated colar and sleeves help enormously and difference in cost is negligible

+1 an adjustable heat controller IS REQUIRED. An on off switch just will not work, you'll be alternately roasting and freezing.

Consider a dual channel heat controller as you will want to probably add heated gloves down the road

Make sure you own insulated motorcycle pants as jeans just don't cut it in the temp range that heated gear works so well. With insulated pants though you do not need heated pant liners even down to below 32F.

See the www.revzilla.com site as they have a few videos and lots of info on heated gear.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-30-2012 at 10:57 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I have had many years of reliable service from the Powerlet socket (powerlet.com) used with Gerbing liner and gloves. My setup is SAE (precedes the coaxial system)

Whatever brand you buy don't get a cheap outlet socket; you will regret it, most likely many miles from home on a bag-shrinking cold day.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
I have had many years of reliable service from the Powerlet socket (powerlet.com) used with Gerbing liner and gloves. My setup is SAE (precedes the coaxial system)

Whatever brand you buy don't get a cheap outlet socket; you will regret it, most likely many miles from home on a bag-shrinking cold day.
I agree. The Powerlet outlet on my ST1300 is 9 years old and working great. So is the permanently mounted Heatroller. I have a Powerlet socket on my Versys with a portable Heatroller. They're going on their 4th year with no issues.

Mounting a Powerlet outlet gives you access to convenient power for other 12v accessories. I carry a small compressor which I've used to pump up flats for friends and others I encounter stranded...still haven't needed it for myself, touch wood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I also carry a small compressor. At a rally a few years back I routinely checked my tire pressure in the morning before a long ride. Mine were fine but a few friend's were low, one so low that I was amazed he couldn't feel it riding: about 17 PSI. He was shocked and said he would ride to a service centre for a fill. I promptly pulled out my compressor, plugged into my Powerlet and pumped his tire up. I spent the next 20 minutes doing the same for another dozen riders. It's astounding that some riders go for weeks on end never checking tire pressure. Of course they are the ones who bitch about the crummy XZY brand and the lousy tire wear they experienced!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 08:02 PM

This is my first winter with electric gear and it's a wonderful thing...do it! Seems like all of the 3 or 4 major manufacturers have good stuff. I went with First Gear and with just their gloves and long underwear I am riding down to 15 F comfortably. In anticipation of adding a jacket liner later on I installed the First Gear dual Heat Troller....works really well.

DSCN1634.jpg
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 04:36 AM

I've got a vest, and a jacket liner.....Best things i've ever bought...I use the vest on the FZ1 (it's charging system lacks a litlle for the liner IMO) the liner on the Versys is great...

Iron Pony has everything that u need....I also use SAE, and the Gerbings type plugs, the vest is SAE, the liner is Gerbings..

'15 DL1000
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 05:25 PM

I use an Aerostich Vest with the supplied on/off switch. I opted for the BMW plug and have the outlet on the underside of the left cowl. The vest packs small and I always take it on trips. Made with pride in the USA, I've had mine for 8 or 9 years with no problems. The collar is heated.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 07:40 PM

Garage
A battery harness came with my Gerbing's gear (in fact one harness came with the jacket and one with the gloves if I remember correctly). I just attached the harness to the battery. I then put a couple of strips of velcro on my fuel tank and the other side on the dual controller and it stays in place (although nearly two years of consistent use and I need to change out the velcro). I needed nothing else. If I wanted a more polished installation, I would likely use Gerbing's hardmount dual controller.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
This is my first winter with electric gear and it's a wonderful thing...do it! Seems like all of the 3 or 4 major manufacturers have good stuff. I went with First Gear and with just their gloves and long underwear I am riding down to 15 F comfortably. In anticipation of adding a jacket liner later on I installed the First Gear dual Heat Troller....works really well.

Attachment 13722
Walter, that's a nice installation - very tidy looking and, apparently, easy to reach. Well done.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode