Heated gear recommendations - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Heated gear recommendations

I've heard good things about first gear. Heard tour master gloves are terrible. Anybody have advice? I'll be going for a jacket, gloves (liners or regular gloves), and pants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 03:47 AM

I have First Gear Mesh Jacket, Mesh Summer Pants, Insulated Overpants. I have found FG to fit me the best and are reasonable in price.

The quality is excellent in appearance and fit. If you are looking for the absolute best in protection, I think there are better choices. I decided to go for comfort and value over absolute best in protection but I wear the gear all the time.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 07:35 AM

Gerbing. Lifetime warranty on the heating elements.

Great stuff.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
Gerbing. Lifetime warranty on the heating elements.

Great stuff.
I picked up Gerbing gloves at the IMS in Washington over the weekend. Went on a test ride (about 25 degrees out), had to turn down the heat to about halfway to not get too hot. And I thought there was nothing I could do to get my hands warm while riding.

Price is steep at $170 for T5's, and another 70 for the controller (minus 15% if you are military), but worth every penny (and I don't say that very often).
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 08:24 AM

+1 on Gerbings. I have a jacket liner that I bought in 2003, still works great.

For gloves I bought Warm 'n Safe as they fit my hands better and the quality of the leather appeared better. These also work great, had them since 2009.

You want separate controllers for each heating element, or a dual controller for gloves and a jackets. Even on sub-freezing days, I can't set the gloves much above 50%.

Heated gear added at least two months to my riding season in New England and makes early morning rides better year round. You won't regret having heat.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 09:13 AM

First gear, Warm & Safe, and Powerlet are all essentially the same. I have a Powerlet jacket liner and am very happy with it... BTW, fit on liners should be as trim as possible...
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 09:22 AM

i have the older style gerbings and its pretty sweet, however my dad just got the new "microwire" jacket liner and its much better, heats up super fast and is very very warm
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 09:29 AM

Gerbing jacket liner is great but as mentioned, the controller is necessary as I rarely go over 50%. heats up fast (microwire) and you can roll it up small for storage if you need to.

2013 Versys1000
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 11:36 AM

Gerbing Gear- I have the dual controller, jacket liner and the T5 gloves. Works fantastic and heats up quickly- all were zero remorse purchases. You really notice the difference from highway to city, too. Highway speeds just suck the heat out. But the equipment has no problems keeping up. When you finally arrive in the city, you will bake if you don't turn it down. I ride in temps in the 30's- never had to turn it all the way up.

Anyway, I have owned the equipment for about 2 months now and love it. Wish I would have purchased it sooner. I am considering purchasing the pant liners, too. Anyway, I strongly recommend the Gerbing line of heated gear.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I use the Tourmaster jacket-liner, and LOVE it! It heats up to the collar, and down the arms to my wrists. Also bought their "chaps", but only used them once, as they got my legs TOO hot.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I've had no issues with the Tourmaster Synergy heated jacket liner and Vest. They are like 1/2 the price of gerbings + controllers.

The Synergy leather gloves worked fine until I rode in a few rains with them. They are waterproof but the leather and insulation get wet and loose their insulative properties. I decided to augment them with heated grips instead of replacing them for almost triple the cost.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 07:26 PM

first season with my gerbing gloves and so far so good. the leather is SO nice. would definitely recommend
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 05:29 PM

Gerbings
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 06:01 PM

I initially ordered both Tourmaster and Gerbings (full sleeve liner and T5 gloves) both online with the intent of comparing and returning one. I returned the Tourmaster as the Gerbings was superior in every way although more pricy. The Gerbings heats up faster and has more even heat it applies over more of the body. Very happy with Gerbings but do get a dual channel heat controller so you can later add gloves this way, also with Gerbings get the $10 pouch for the controller so you can hang it externally and adjust it while you ride.

With the gloves they fit a size larger than normal. I'm swimming in their size large, I normally find a large a little tight. Only issue with the gloves is they seem to be constructed more for snowmobiling than motorcycling as they seem a little lightweight protection wise.

Above 45F I just wear the liner under my jacket shell but below this temp I find the heated liner works best under the insulated liner the jacket came with. All the liners I've seen have very little internal insulation.

From what I have read FirstGear's heated gear is re-branded heated gear made by Warm&Safe (their old style level 3 gear). Harley heated gear is just rebranded Gerbings too. Revzill, who sell all brands of heated gear, selected Powerlet as their best brand of heated gear. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/p...d-jacket-liner. You can mix and match brands of gloves and temp controllers as the connectors are the same.

Last edited by Sprocket; 01-18-2012 at 06:23 PM.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 12:03 PM

Ive only used Gerbings but i love them. Id wait on the pants however I use a jacket liner, gloves and heated grips and I never get cold. My toes did get cold one time when it was in the teens but I stopped and put on shoe covers and was fine from then on out. If you keep your core temp up, cover up your head and keep those hands warm your feet and legs will be fine IMO. If I where you Id at least try it and see. I ride all year long and never get cold.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 12:19 PM

I have a set of the First Gear Carbon gloves (rebranded Warn N Safe is all they are)

I love them. Word of warning you can burn your knuckle if you crank them too high.

"Why do I ride?"

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 10:30 AM

If you don't already have them, heated grips are nice. You never have to worry about forgetting them and it's remarkable what a single heat source can to do keep you warm.

My weekend bike project is installing a set on the V!

CJ
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
If you don't already have them, heated grips are nice. You never have to worry about forgetting them and it's remarkable what a single heat source can to do keep you warm.

My weekend bike project is installing a set on the V!

CJ
I have Kuryakyn's . . .that glue will outlast mankind.

IBA # 49372
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 02:55 AM

I've had both heated grips and heated gloves. Heated gloves are MUCH, MUCH warmer in the cooler temps. They also use MUCH less power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasgraham View Post
I'd wait on the pants however I use a jacket liner, gloves and heated grips and I never get cold. My toes did get cold one time when it was in the teens but I stopped and put on shoe covers and was fine from then on out. If you keep your core temp up, cover up your head and keep those hands warm your feet and legs will be fine IMO. If I where you Id at least try it and see. I ride all year long and never get cold.
+1 good insulated pants are enough with a heated liner and gloves

Last edited by Sprocket; 01-23-2012 at 02:58 AM.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 12:50 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
I have the Aerostitch Kanetsu vest with zip on sleeves. It is a bit bulkier than the Gerbing liners, but it is really, really warm. They also make a full liner and a bib heated neck warmer. Plus, their customer service if #1.

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode