GPS questions - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
GPS questions

Car GPS units are easily to find in local stores and sell in the $100-$150 range. Even less on sale. Motorcycle specific GPS receivers from the same manufactures have to be special ordered. They seem to have the same specs but cost $650 to $800. I cannot find any motorcycle specific GPSs to look at in the stores. Aside from a water proof case what is the difference between a car and motorcycle GPS? Recommendations on what to buy and mounting on the Versys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I bought a Garmin Zumo 550 from amazon.com Like it alot no complaints. I've been in rainstorms rough roads that beat the crap out of the bike and recently a wreck where the windscreen brackets snapped. the cable kept the unit on the bike and it still works perfectly. With what i put the unit through i would buy it again if needed. It also come with a mount and cable to use in your car.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mounts are available for a the popular automotive GPS units

http://www.ram-mount.com/

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 10:02 PM

I have a RAM mounted Zumo 550. It's got a cradle that gets hardwired to the battery (my old TomTom had a plug in cord that always shook out), it's waterproof, dustproof, impact resistant, and vibration resistant. The TomTom I had actually got destroyed from vibration on the handlebars.

IBA # 49372
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 10:10 PM

With navigation on smartphones now most people use there phones for that all in one expierence. It is probably easier just to use your smartphone for most people with a ram mount
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 10:26 PM

What software do you need for android? What if you have not subscribed to data service on your smart phone, can you still use the integrated GPS or do the maps have to be downloaded? I think even a $700 GPS would be cheaper than a smart phone if you have to pay for data.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 10:35 PM

Garage
waterproof gps cover handlebar mount http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-GPS032-Handlebar-Mount-3-5/dp/B003FMUP0K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324269189&sr=8-1

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 09:53 AM

I just run a car gps. Had to rig up my own mount but no problems.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
waterproof gps cover handlebar mount http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-GPS032-H...4269189&sr=8-1
The same kind of waterproof zippers on my riding pants have proven themselves to be not waterproof. YMMV.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 11:06 AM

Last year I got a NUVI 500. Waterproof, run on battery power for over 4 hours, small enough to carry in a jacket pocket when you get off the bike, road and topo maps available, good for hiking and off roading. Amazon still carries it under $300. A RAM mount for it is about $30.

This is the same unit as the motocycle dedicated ZUMO 220. The 220 is $400 and has bluetooth, mount, lane assist, wiring harness for direct connection, and other software modifications. After a year using the NUVI 500 I believe the extra money for the ZUMO 220 was justified. I tried to talk my wife into keeping the NUVI in her car so I can get a ZUMO but she declined. She said she does not need a GPS in the car. As long as she has a phone she can call me and ask me for directions when she gets lost she is fine.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've been using a Garmin Nuvi 255W mounted on a Moto Werk (Speedy's) universal GPS dash mount (tucked nicely out of the way above the instrument panel and behind the windshield) for over a year and it's worked flawlessly. Haven't exposed it to rain but it's not rated as water resistant or water proof so I don't intend to.

My thought process tells me that, although the Nuvi line isn't designed for motorcycles, I could buy several for the cost of a motorcycle-specific Zumo should the Nuvi go belly-up from vibration or some other nasty motorcycle related "problem."

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 12:24 PM

Get a 550 from Amazon and never look back. Cheap waterproof and works with heavy gloves on.

Heres one for under 300 and if you look hard you can do better then this.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-n%C3%BC...4318806&sr=8-7
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 01:16 PM
DR_

The motorcycle specific GPS are not the same specs as the car GPS. They typically include longer life batteries, better Bluetooth, motorcycle mounts, water and vibration proof, and can use tracks and routes. If you are going to be using a Bluetooth headset, and if you are going to be riding in all weather, there really isn’t another option. I compromise and use my handheld Garmin 62s which works really well but doesn't have bluetooth.

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 04:33 PM

http://www.zumoforums.com

A good place to learn all about Garmin M/C GPS's.

I have a Zumo 660. It is a little pricey, but is has several big pluses.

It streams stereo Bluetooth. Think of the device as a GPS, phone, and stereo. A2DP makes a big difference. Paired with a decent A2DP Stereo Bluetooth helmet speakerset like Chatterbox, Sena or Scala, makes for a great touring experiencel. It pairs up to your phone and will give call display and phone book onscreen. It holds a micro SD card so you can have the entire North American continent and around 1000+ songs all on one device. If you buy two Bluetooth helmet sets, you can use them as a rider to rider or pillion intercom, while still getting full GPS directions as it prioritizes channels. GPS, intercom, phone, music. The screen size is good and easily readable in direct sunlight. The screen works well with gloves on as well, while many car GPS unit won't.

I used the included ram mount using the screws from my clutch bar clamp. Install was easy and I only needed to remove one side of the fairing. Its wired onto the battery with a line fuse. The car kit was included as well so the unit gets good use.

The minus for the Zumo 660, (besides price), is that when first released the firmware was quite buggy. There have been numerous firmware updates to address this, but I would be reluctant to be a launch customer with any new Garmin product in the future. (My wife gave this to me as a birthday gift weeks after it came to market.)

In the end you pay more, and you get more. For multi day touring, I wouldn't trade my zumo for a car based gps.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 06:53 PM

I've been using my navigon 2100 on my bike, works good, screens not bad didn't cost alot but if it dies i've been looking at this on http://www.chinavasion.com/portable-gps/cvugtr16/ only besause its "waterproof"
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
So far I have been using a Nuvi 765T with a RAM mount for a year (24,000 miles). It has stereo bluetooth, FM transmitter, MP3 player, Custom routes, etc. For the Versys I bought the vibration damping SW Motech mounting bracket with a RAM cradle. On my touring bike I use a RAM aquabox. Once in a while the voice or music will get kinda jumpy and I have to remove power and restart it to bring it back.
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 02:40 AM

I use a Delorme Earthmate PN-60 GPS with my bikes... I have it Ram mounted. It does a great job with multiple use duty: 1)on my motorcycles 2)on my bicycles 3)hiking 4)kayaking 5)geocaching 6)skiing, etc.... it is waterproof, shock proof, can run on 12V, lithium, alkaline, or rechargeable AA batteries... it does roads, topo, nautical, satellite, etc...

Check them out: http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELi...?section=10460

KJ

2013 Suzuki V-Strom
2013 Honda CRF 250L
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650-ADV
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2008 Yamaha TW200
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan
1979 Suzuki GS425 (long gone)

Last edited by Kankujoe; 12-20-2011 at 02:43 AM.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 10:09 AM

Garage
Here's a great place for any kind of mount you can think of. http://www.gpscity.com/search/q=motorcycle+gps+mounts

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I've used Garmin StreetPilot 2610s (motorcycle specific!) on both Vs for years, and they've worked fine EXCEPT that, because of their weight, IF you ride rough roads the mount can let go and the 2610 hits the road. Had it happen at 65 mph and (except for the broken mounting 'tit') the GPS STILL worked fine after I U-turned to go back and pick it up.

Now I've bought TWO Nuvi 550s as a result of listers here recommending them, and the motorcycle mount and wiring kits ($33 apiece at Amazon), but haven't got around to mounting them YET. Paid $189 for a refurbed 550, but got a NEW 550 at Fry's Electronics for $152 on clearance!!!

(BTW, anyone interested in a GREAT deal on a 2610, complete with locking mount, wiring, etc, etc? I figure $50 plus mailing - about $20. PM me if interested.)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 01:21 AM

For the moment, in Android Market, Mappy Navigation is free for France.

I tried it on yesterday and for a free software I'm very surprised. Good software, maps stored on my SD-card, good navigation skills... if you want to be driven to a point in a simple manner, that's great.

The only one dark point is there's no European coverage for the moment (for free, excepted softs which use OpenStreetMaps cards. Those cards are not very detailed in my area ).
I don't know which software to choose for my cellular phone... I was told that the last Navigon was not so great as it used to be, I wonder about Sygic...

I choose to have a GPS on my GSM because I can plug my headphones thanks to a 3.5mm jack. I don't want to be disturbed by looking my phone screen.

"Un intellectuel assis va toujours moins loin qu'un con qui marche" (Michel Audiard)

: 15/09/09 : 9948km - 02/04/12 : 71283 + 53km
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode