Bell Revolver helmet - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bell Revolver helmet

Anybody own a Bell Revolver - or any Bell helmet? I have an Arai and/or AFX shaped head and wonder of the Bell is similarly shaped.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
My girlfriends son just got in a Bell Helmet not sure which one it was about $500.00 When he gets home i'll ask him he tried all kinds of helmets so he can answer that question for you.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I have a Bell Star and a Bell Revolver. The only thing in common with them is that they share the same shield.

The Bell Star is an awesome helmet. Got mine on closeout at motorcyclecloseouts.com

It is a great summer helmet. Flows a lot of air. Has great compartments for speakers and plenty of room in the chin area for intercom systems.

The Revolver was a slight disappointment compared to the Star. The sizing is smaller and more round than oval. Other than that the latching mechanism is better than other similarly price modular helmets I looked at. The drop down sun visor has better coverage than other modular helmets I have looked at. The style of the helmet is nice.

It does not have as much ventilation as the Star either.

But I did snag the Revolver for $80 during the sale of the day at motorcyclesuperstore.com so I am pretty happy about that.

If the revolver would have had the same shape and fit as the Star I would have been 100% pleased with it. Also the Star is super light compared to the Revolver so if you get neck fatique go for the Star over the Revolver.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 07:46 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I just bought a Bell Revolver....got it for $80 on sale black Friday from motorcycle superstore.

What would you like to know about it...?

Revzilla has a nice overview video of it.

I think for the money even at its current $109 its a decent helmet. I haven't had a chance to ride with it though....

Last edited by offcamber; 12-15-2011 at 11:29 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 09:45 PM

Garage
The helmet the boy got is the Bell Star. He said it fits like a Arai.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have a Bell Apex and, though it's a good helmet, it's the only one of four that presses on my forehead and at the nape of my neck.

The others (all the same size) do not. The others are a Zeus 501, a Z1R, and an AGV if that's of any help. It seems the Bell is a little too round for my head shape.

Here's a bit of, perhaps, interesting yet useless information. We of Thistle Racing Limited wore the first (original and heavy) Bell Star helmets at Snetterton racing circuit in England in 1970. Whoopee, huh?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 09:31 AM

Revolver shape

From Webbikeworld

Bell Revolver Helmet Fit, Internal Shape and Liner

Bell apparently has not settled on a standard internal shape for the various helmets in their lineup and maybe that's good or maybe not. The last helmet we reviewed, the Bell Arrow (review), had a round internal shape. This contrasts with the Bell Star (review), with a somewhat unusual shape that's closer in fit to an Arai Profile (review) than, say, the Arai Quantum II (review).

The Revolver feels like it has a fairly neutral fit along the top and sides that tends towards slight narrow as the sides taper in towards the bottom.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...ver/review.htm
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 11:23 AM

Here is what I posted on another site.

Quote:
I got 2 during the black friday sale, and they both fit my fiancee and I well. It is a little hard to get my glasses on while wearing the helmet, but they do work. Might have to modify the padding as I saw someone did on webbikeworld.

Initial impressions are good. They seem decently made, but there are some glaring issues with the supplied accessories. First the breath guard on the top of the chin bar hits the rubber seal of the eye port when you open the chinbar. This can be fixed with a little trimming of the guard with a razor blade, but I think Bell should have fixed this first. Also my helmet came with a breath deflector/chin curtain that I haven't seen in any of the reviews so far (maybe it was a late addition, my helmet has a manufacture date of 8/11.). It snaps into the vents in the chin bar and kind of wraps around your chin. There were a lot of reviews that said it needed a chin curtain so maybe this is Bell's answer. Unfortunately with it installed you can't open the chin bar more than about half way, as in interferes with the upper part of the helmet. My temporary solution was to remove both the breath guard and chin curtain.

I only took a short ride to work this morning, and I would say the helmet is about as noisy or maybe slightly more so than my HJC IS-16 (on a Versys with a Givi windscreen, and I always wear ear plugs). There is a lot of air that comes in under the chin bar so I will be trying to get the curtain to work for the winter. Also the inner sunshield has good coverage of the eye port, but is not dark enough. I will be getting two dark smoke inner visors (had to do the same for the IS-16). Also the anti-fog coating seems to work great. I had to keep the visor on my IS-16 cracked until I get out of town and get up to speed, but the visor on the Revolver can be closed, and left closed even at traffic lights (well until my glasses started to fog up).

All in all I think it was a good purchase, especially for $85. It is my first modular, and I think I will like it, but I haven't had enough time with my head in it yet to determine that.

Here is a quick picture I snapped at the office.

Here are a few pictures of the chin curtain. Again sorry for the quality they are from my phone.

I did get a chance to try the chin curtain, and it made a huge difference. It does hit the weatherstripping above the visor, but a little force and it will go passed, and allow the chin bar to open fully. I just don't like that, as I would assume it would eventually cause problems with sealing. I will look into a way to fix it, but don't know how much is possible. Also I don't know how well an intercom mic would fit with the chin curtain in place. My Scala G4 comes tonight so I will test it with and without the curtain.
I have since installed the G4 and it does work just fine with the helmet and the chin curtain. You just have to reposition the mic everytime you raise or lower the chin bar.

I have used it a few weeks now almost daily, and I like it a lot. I wasn't sure if I would like a modular helmet, but it does seem to work well, and I think it will be better in warmer weather when I'm not concerned with the chin curtain. For the price though I am satisfied.

With the chin curtain air mangagement is great. I normally wear a balaclava for my commute. My jacket does have a high collar so my neck is protected but normally my face would get cold too, not so with this helmet. On monday I didn't wear the balaclava and was fine for the 30 min ride even with temps of only 22 degrees. That low temp seemed to be a tipping point for the anti fog on the internal sunvisor at least. With it in the up position I guess it caught a lot of condensation, then when I put it down it was fogged over. With the visor cracked it cleared up, and I was able to close it again with no problems the rest of the trip.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all! I've been riding with a AFX D37. Since I sold my DR650, I really don't need the off-road styling. The AFX fit is almost identicle to HJC off road helmets and my last street helmet was an Arai Quantum.

All felt fine, so I'm hoping the Bell shape will work too. Haven't totally decided on the Revolver, especially if it's pretty noisy. That's been the biggest issue I've had with using off road and DS helmets. VERY noisy at highway speeds even with ear plugs and wind screens.

Sounds like a good look through the Webbikeworld Helmet reviews will be a good place to start.

I try to replace my helmet every couple of years, so $500+ helmets are not something I like to buy.

And not to start anything, but since I've managed to crash test a few helmets, it's clear to my undamaged brain that a DOT helmet is plenty. It's fit and comfort thats most important to me.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 12:00 PM

Garage
if your looking for a good quiet modular. take a look at the Nolan N90 revzilla has a report on it it was picked as the top picks for modulars. Its what i'm replacing my Scorpion EXO-900 with. Got the best price from riders discount at i believe it was $224.00 or $244.00 shipped

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 12-15-2011 at 02:15 PM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 04:51 PM
DR_

You might want to look at the Bell Vortex. I also have a Bell Star and the Vortex quality and fit is really close to the Star, at a fraction of the price. It doesn't flow quite as well but it is a little quieter.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
Here is what I posted on another site.

Your comment on the other site didn't show up in the quote, but to respond to your comment about difficulting getting your glasses on. That is why I buy a modular helmet so I don't have to put on or take off my glasses. I just spread the helmet and put it on my head and then close the chin bar.

Now the Bell Star is slight pain because I have to slip on my glasses then have to adjust the side cushioning around my stems. But, I will say that I made a bad choice on this latest pair of glasses. They have curved stems instead of straight so they don't sit as close to my head has other glasses could.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Revolver & Arrow didn't feel very good, but the Vortex did. RS1 was Ok too, but a bit overkill in cost. FYI, a Scorpion EXO 400 also fit nicely but I liked the quality of the Bell better.

It was odd with the Scorpion helmets. As I tried on the upper tier models, they felt worse and worse.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 09:20 PM

my friends at revzilla told me to stick with the Nolan n90 as a budget modular, they said that the quality of the revolver is very cheap and they get a bunch of complaints. The other bell helmets are pretty nice though.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 09:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
my friends at revzilla told me to stick with the Nolan n90 as a budget modular, they said that the quality of the revolver is very cheap and they get a bunch of complaints. The other bell helmets are pretty nice though.
My Nolan N90 comes in tomorrow. Hoping its better than the Scorpion EXO-900 that i really liked.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:07 PM

yea its on my short list of things I "need" for the motorcycle... it gets killer reviews and its not a spring chicken that hasnt been out for awhile, so you would know if there were problems

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I have a Bell Star and a Bell Revolver. The only thing in common with them is that they share the same shield.

The Bell Star is an awesome helmet. Got mine on closeout at motorcyclecloseouts.com

It is a great summer helmet. Flows a lot of air. Has great compartments for speakers and plenty of room in the chin area for intercom systems.

The Revolver was a slight disappointment compared to the Star. The sizing is smaller and more round than oval. Other than that the latching mechanism is better than other similarly price modular helmets I looked at. The drop down sun visor has better coverage than other modular helmets I have looked at. The style of the helmet is nice.

It does not have as much ventilation as the Star either.

But I did snag the Revolver for $80 during the sale of the day at motorcyclesuperstore.com so I am pretty happy about that.

If the revolver would have had the same shape and fit as the Star I would have been 100% pleased with it. Also the Star is super light compared to the Revolver so if you get neck fatique go for the Star over the Revolver.
twowheeladdict,

Was your Star one of the carbon fiber ones? The new models may all be carbon fiber, but I'm not certain. I'm thinking about one of the CF Stars, but have to work my way up mentally to a helmet that costs that much. I have a Bell apex now and have a LOT of issues with comfort in crosswinds and it is a very heavy helmet. Would be nice to have something light! Plus the webbikeworld review sounds pretty decent.

Put the rubber on the road and leave it all behind.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 12:19 PM

If you know you like a modular then it is probably worth getting the Nolan. I didn't know if my fiancee or I would, so the $85 Revolver vs $230 N90 was an easy choice, and I definitely don't think it is a bad $85 or even $150 helmet.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 05:01 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
If you know you like a modular then it is probably worth getting the Nolan. I didn't know if my fiancee or I would, so the $85 Revolver vs $230 N90 was an easy choice, and I definitely don't think it is a bad $85 or even $150 helmet.
This....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode