Still flexing my boots in - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Still flexing my boots in

Darn boots I bought are slowly breaking in. Pulling my lower back out and then being sick didn't help with my timeline to switch my boots out.

One thing I notice is that the tip of the boot feels slick when I'm stopped. Add in the limited flexibility and I see a minor problem. I think if I break them in a bit more and scuff the tips of the sole I will get a better feeling. But so far I am liking the new boots. Bought a set of Fly Milepost boots. Not to bad and the armor is pretty adequate compared to what I was using prior. Also need to work on putting my foot a bit further back to compensate for the stiffer soles.

Once I break them in a bit more I'll let everyone know how they are working out. For a budget boot they are pretty toasty and so far no water leakage when wearing them. Yes I went puddle jumping like a crazy kid one day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 09:54 AM

Looks like a nice boot, especially for the money.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Ok finally did some good long riding (for me anyway) in these boots. 4 trips from 20 minutes to 3 hours.

The Bad:
  • They take awhile to break in and make slightly flexible
  • Stiff sole is a bit harder to down shift, but I suspect as I beat the snot out of them they will flex a bit more
  • Upper rubs a bit rough at the top area of the boot where the Velcro secures around your calf
  • Not very tight around the upper of the boot
  • The boots don't breath well as they are meant to be waterproof. For wintertime wear I think they are fine. For summer I would definitely want a second set of shoes that breath better when I got to my destination. I think I can stash a pair of Converse All Stars in a bag.
The Good:
  • 3 Hours in 30 degree weather the worst effect on my foot was a cold big toe. I think I will try a different set of socks. I haven't worn tube socks in years and I just grabbed the first pair that fit at the local Wal-mart.
  • No leaks in the rain. Feet were nice and dry. I went puddle stomping in the grocery store parking lot in my full gear minus a helmet when I parked the bike. No leaks in the pants or boots I'm happy to report
  • Pretty comfortable for walking around the office. I wouldn't make a habit of it but I can't put my soft bags on the bike at the moment so I was VERY limited on how much I could carry in my jacket.

All in all a pretty decent boot for the price, fit was true to size. Measured in at a 9 US ordered a 9 US and they fit nicely. I would make sure if you ever get a pair wear nice long padded socks at the top or they will chafe a bit till the leather softens. I had to change my shifting a bit as I was definitely not used to wearing actual armored boots for riding. I had a pair of jungle boots that I was wearing till I could find a nice, cheap, well reviewed boot in the 100-200 price range. These fit the bill.

P.S. I would have loved to provide a protection report on these but I kind of like being wheels affixed to the pavement instead of my butt. Sorry guys/gals.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 06:51 PM

Get some smartwool ski socks, thicker rather than thinner. Socks sold for moto are nice, but seemed to me more expensive than the same socks labeled as ski socks. I got some at REI.

Someday is not a day of the week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode