aerostitch or first gear - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

aerostitch or first gear

Here's my senerio.
I bought a brand new yellow First Gear Kilaminjaro jacket and pants to go with it. Later the same day I caught wind of a used Aerostitch Roadcrafter (black and grey) suit for a good deal and I bought even though it is a 42 long and I am a 38 regular.
The suit is comfortable but I do swim in it a little. My question is... Should I sell the suit or take the the First Gear stuff back as it is unused.
any opinions on either would be most helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 07:44 PM

A good fit is really important, so might be a false economy to go with the 'stich' however good a product & price might be.

I have HG First Gear and it fits well.

After 30k miles, my HG needed re-waterproofing, but its got good armor, lots of zips for hot weather. Its warm in winter (I put a electric jacket liner when its really cold) and very comfortable.

For me comfort and fit are really important, but that's just me, 'stich' makes great stuff.

Machog
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 08:59 PM

Have to agree with machog on the fit. I have a FG kilaminjaro jacket in an extra large tall. And it fits great well made and does what it is supposed to! It will keep you dry even in heavy rain. Was a bit hot for summer but learned to zip it up about half way and then button it the rest and this let plenty of air flow. It has only got down in the low forty's here so far but with just the liner in it has kept me warm. I feel this jacket will last a long time as it is well made. I don't know about anybody else but I have three jackets. One leather which was given to me. Can't beat that kind of a deal. One cortech denim jacket which I like it ok but it is already streched out and a little loose fitting. would not be at all good for cold wether. But it is just nice to have that extra jacket just in case you need it or something happens to the other.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 01:05 AM

Be sure to consider the fit with warm clothes. My textile jacket is too loose without the liner and too tight with.

I'm calm like a bomb!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 02:50 PM

I've an Aerostich Roadcrafter 2-piece suit, it's by far the best piece of motorbike kit I've ever owned...until it rains.
Within a couple of weeks mine was about as much use as a tea-bag in even the lightest of drizzle. I found my leg was wet near the zip my mid-rift wet and my crotch was even wetter..not nice.
I still use it everyday but carry waterproofs at all times, I really thought it would be the ultimate, sadly it's not.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys!
I still have not decided which I will choose to keep. I did give the aerostitch a good test riding with it to Ohio and back from NC in which I rode in the rain for an hour and stayed bone dry. Like I said the aerostitch is comfortable, it is just too big and is too hot on warm days. On the other hand I can fit many layers of clothing under it.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 04:15 PM

There're two important aspects to motorcycle gear, the first being fit and the second being the quality of the materials used for the intended purpose (crashing). It don't fit, ditch it.

Just say no to Joe Rocket Phoenix gear:

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 08:19 AM

get a stich,well worth the cash

AMA EAA STN
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Good God Gorilla! Sorry for your misfortune. Advice dually noted.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 08:17 AM

All things equal, almost anything Aerostich makes is superior to most other items available. You pay for it, true, but the quality and clever engineering are worth it over time. My one-piece Roadcrafter is over fifteen years old, has been through nearly every possible weather, and even went down with me once. It still looks great and works as well as the day I bought it. I have Aerostich courier and dispatch bags, of which have seen much use. I have several other Aerostich accessories and have never been disappointed. Honestly.

That said, as others have mentioned, fit is more important than brand. If the FirstGear suit fits you well—allowing room for more clothes underneath—then keep it. Aerostich can alter their suits, but it is very expensive.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 08:25 PM

Wow Gorilla. Makes me think twice (or three times) about using my mesh jacket unless it's 90 F. As I was researching jacket materials, the only thing that comes close to racing leathers is 1000d Cordura. Yet the clothing I've seen is 600d at best (the higher the "d" the thicker and stronger the thread).

Two questions: Has anyone gone down with a 600d jacket and/or pants and how has that been? Also does anyone know what clothing uses 1000d?

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dross View Post
Good God Gorilla! Sorry for your misfortune. Advice dually noted.
I hope I can save someone the 6 months of healing I had to deal with by posting that pic along with a gear reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docteric View Post
Wow Gorilla. Makes me think twice (or three times) about using my mesh jacket unless it's 90 F. As I was researching jacket materials, the only thing that comes close to racing leathers is 1000d Cordura. Yet the clothing I've seen is 600d at best (the higher the "d" the thicker and stronger the thread).

Two questions: Has anyone gone down with a 600d jacket and/or pants and how has that been? Also does anyone know what clothing uses 1000d?
Yeah, it was a toasty day when I was wearing that stuff (July 8, 2007). AFA materials go, here's a site with good info: http://www.motoport.com/ Read the tabs on the left (Save Your Hide, etc.). The Kevlar Mesh they use is gonna be the best mesh available.

Here's an important part of the story: I had a horrible experience with Motoport in attempting to get gear "custom-made". The nonsense on the site about making it to fit anyone is crap. I was measured by the owner (Wayne) and was told no problem in getting the stuff made right and after several attempts, didn't get anything close to serviceable motorcycle gear (it barely fit standing, forget about getting on the bike in it). Three people I rode with this weekend had Motoport gear. One of 'em was a guy that had stuff custom-made before Motoport changed up their production method (his stuff took several months to get made, mine took 17 business days... the first time)and he loves how his fit. The other two were normal-sized and bought off the rack sizes.

My take on Motoport: they get the materials right, but not the fit. A tailor he is not. It's like having the guy that came up with the tiles on the Space Shuttle design the whole thing... bad idea.

If you fit what they produce, it's probably worth the cost of admission.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 09:01 AM

You're always taking that risk in mesh gear... mesh is no abrasion protection at all, just something to hold on the impact armor. That's why the "hybrid" styles with leather in strategic places have become popular.

Most bike wrecks are either being hit by traffic on surface streets, or riding off the road. So far all my own wrecks have been at relatively low speed on winding roads and wound up with me in the dirt. In each case my mesh has held up fine. I really wouldn't want to wreck at 80 on the interstate in it. But those kind of wrecks are less common and I've decided to take on the risk, because in California in July, I'd cook otherwise. If you can stand it, you shouldn't be in mesh.

I'm calm like a bomb!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 09:14 PM

Yup, I've seen the Motoport site and it's very interesting (also good marketing). My next effort is to make a jacket myself out of Cordura that I'll wear under my mesh one. That way if it's too roasty I can just wear the mesh around town. But on the highway or when it's not killer hot and can put the "rash guard" underneath.

If I ever actually make it I'll let you know how it works.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 09:00 PM

I ate pavement at 60 and aside from feeling like the previous owner of the Ruby Slippers my Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket limited skin damage to a 3/16" puncture wound where one of the jacket's stud snaps got me on the 2nd or 3rd or 4th bounce. I know another guy that had his back saved by a Rocket product (albeit a much slower speed). Sorry about your misfortune, Gorilla, but my personal experience has me riding with Rocket quite contentedly.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 07:38 PM

Gorilla. From the looks of the photo it seems like you got the abrasion through the mesh. Did the mesh rip at all? Also did you have anything between your skin and the mesh (shirt, jeans)?

Clearly if we go down with nothing under the mesh, our skin is going to poke through the openings and get abraded. So I'm wondering if a regular T shirt (long sleeve) or even a coolmax tyhpe thing would keep the skin in.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 10:17 PM

That's my calf and is a result of the bike laying on top of me for a few minutes. The photos I have post-crash don't show any damage to the Joe Rocket Phoenix pants in that area, so the liner mesh likely melted to my leg and then burned.

The "skin poking through mesh"-look is a result of the skin graft process (see the staples?). Further, that'd never happen as the mesh is multi-layered on pretty much all motorcycle gear and tends to be weaker than the asphalt it contacts. Additionally, it'd take a ****-ton of force to make skin protrude through mesh to the extent that you'd wind up with any sort of waffle pattern as a result; it's simply not that elastic. You'd pretty much have to be sliding surrounded by a cheese grater or chicken wire to get a waffle pattern.

The Joe Rocket Mesh deteriorated at the elbows and knees and those got pretty well banged up. The armor also got shredded. The reason I stress fit and material is because if the pants fit, my knees wouldn't have been as banged up as they were and if they were of good material I'd've come out less injured.

Just so you know, no material is going to win in a battle against asphalt, concrete, or any other road surface. The idea is that the material takes the damage and you don't.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 06:50 PM

OK, so now I'm really confused (a familiar state for me). The photo is of a burn, not an abrasion. And you say that your knees were banged up due to the bad fit, not the material or the brand. I agree where you say that the material is going to get damaged, the point is that we don't. Yet it seems where you got most injured was where the mesh didn't get damaged at all.

So now. What injuries did you get because of the brand (Joe Rocket) or the material (mesh) that leads you to write just say no to Joe Rocket? In general, how are people getting injured with mesh clothing that they wouldn't get with regular textiles?

I'm not trying to be difficult here (I can do that without even trying). I'm just trying to understand the pluses and minuses of the various materials.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode