Best Cold weather Jacket? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Best Cold weather Jacket?

Need your opinions please. Here in New England, it gets little chilly. Presently I have a Joe Rocket Meteor jacket that works well, but am in the hunt for something WARMER. Let's leave "heated" garments out for now as options.

2011 ZSX 1000
Red / ebony
Bag Connection AERO saddlebags
Garmin Nuvi 550 rammed
Kuso heated grips
ZG touring windscreen / CalSci Tall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 10:54 AM

Probably just about any namebrand 3/4 jacket with a removable liner should suffice. I have a Fieldsheer Hydro Tour jacket as my cold weather coat and love it. I layer up with some synthetic shirts and with the liner and baclava I can ride for over an hour during the winter. For my short twenty or so minute ride to work I can get by wearing only a normal work shirt underneath even when it dips into the twenties.

Things to look for are probably sizing it up one size larger so you can bundle up as needed. A high collar that you can snug up well and maybe adjustable venting for those days that start out cold but end up warm like when we have forty in the morning and seventy in the afternoon.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Agree with 'El Tig'. I have FirstGear's Kilimanjaro for chilly days, but, with my Tourmaster heated jacket liner - IT ROCKS!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 11:59 AM

Tourmaster transition 3/4 with tourmaster ZOQ liner, cold tek gloves and a Schampa warmskin baclava does the trick for me... but I do have Oxford heated grips and Acerbis handgaurds also.

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 01:03 PM

Instead of a high price, brand name, 3 season, winter weight jacket that coast me over $300, I bought a set of Hot Chillys ski thermal underwear. I use them along my Tourmaster Air intake II with the liners on and my tourmaster overpants and every day clothes. I supplement my touring gloves with a set of high quality glove liners. I switch from my normal touring boots to a pair of wool shearling lined boots. I'm good for commuting downb to about 36f.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
am in the hunt for something WARMER. Let's leave "heated" garments out for now as options.
I know you said not to......but......why discount the single best item you can purchase to ensure riding pleasure?

I don't care what jacket you have or which one you purchase, it WILL NOT keep you as warm and comfortable as a heated liner!

I've been riding 40+ years, there is NO substitute.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 02:35 PM

The best garment I own for keeping me warm is the Aerostich TLTec Soft Shell Fleece Jacket. Wear it under what ever you own right now and you will be pretty warm other then that and 20 degrees and below your looking at Gerbings heated Jacket Liner Bottom line if you want to be warm and safe you have to go heated.

Last edited by douglasgraham; 11-18-2011 at 03:20 PM.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 03:17 PM

Tourmaster transition, with Gerbing heated jacket, (sleeves & high collar) along with some good heated gloves, Gerbing etc.

In 15 years I've had heated gear only had it full on once when I was soaking going over a mountain pass.

Machog

post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 03:42 PM

I havent been using the liner in my regular jacket and instead have a jacket length soft shell I have been wearing underneath and it is less bulky and WAY more effective. Just some food for thought.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 04:16 PM

Layers of fleece under your jacket will help. A windbreaker will do wonders, to stop the cold air from going though a textile jacket. I have a Moose "quick coat" that I wear over my Aerostich jacket. It's coated ripstop nylon. about $40.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 04:35 PM

I wouldn't have a problem pointing you in the direction of the Olympia AST. I've been wearing mine (in high-vis) for 4 seasons now and it's never leaked and has always been warm. For the real cold days I'll put on a fleece sweater under it. It has kept me warm all the way down to minus 8c. If it works up here in Canada year round it should be good enough anywhere.

As a bonus for those cool morning and warm afternoons in the spring and fall the waterproof vents let in and out enough air to take the edge off hot weather. It's no sub for a mesh jacket in the sun but it is after all a cold weather jacket.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I find 3/4 length (extra length body) is a really nice feature for colder weather and just better all round. It helps prevent drafts up the jacket and keeps water out of your waste when it rains. I have an Olympia AST and it's my favorite and most used piece of gear - and I have 2 other jackets. It's good for about ~85F (with wind flow) to about ~40F and is waterproof without the need for a zip in liner. The only answer for comfortable riding below ~45F though is a heated liner. My experience has been most of the cheaper touring jackets like the Tourmaster have less insulation and abrasion protection. With a Gerbings heated jacket liner replacing the included insulated liner I have been comfortable down to 25F (the coldest I have ridden in).

Last edited by twowheels; 11-19-2011 at 04:06 PM.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 03:58 PM

In cold weather I wear a heated vest and/or a lightweight North Face down jacket under my Roadcrafter suit.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
In cold weather I wear a heated vest and/or a lightweight North Face down jacket under my Roadcrafter suit.
+1 for down. Bulky, but hard to beat for heat retention.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
One thing to keep in mind when riding in VERY cold temps WITH heated gear - what will you do IF the heated gear fails...? ALWAYS have sufficient gear that you won't go hypothermic getting home.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 05:23 AM

So far I'm enjoying my brand new Tourmaster Transition Series 2 Jacket I just got.

34 degrees and I rock a underarmour long sleeve shirt underneath and I'm pretty toasty at highway speeds for my commute. Rode in this morning (yep on a sunday) with just a t-shirt underneath and it was 39 degrees, yup still pretty comfy.

Pockets and venting on this Jacket are superb. I'm glad I hemmed and hawed about which jacket to buy. This was my second choice of jackets, sadly the place I got my jacket didn't have the Kathmandu jacket I wanted in stock but after wearing this jacket I'm in love. The best thing is its actually lighter than my mesh Joe Rocket Jacket and it doesn't look like a motorcycle jacket. I removed the armor and went for a walk downtown and no one could really tell it was a motorcycle jacket until the headlights on the cars started hitting the reflective piping.

I ordered it from bike bandit. Wasn't sure about them but I had everything I ordered in a week even after I had to cancel my original order for the jacket in silver (out of stock and no clue when they were getting more).
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys! My local Dealer says he has the most call for the TourMaster Transition 2. Gonna go down for a fit {he has all the sizes in stock}.
As far as electrically heated stuff, that will be option 2. I prefer it to be temp tolerable without the assistance of the bike. I will calculate later the demands of my present system...i.e., driving lights, heated grips, heated gerbing gloves, gps and see if a heated vest will tax it too much. My work commute is only 24 miles, and thus far have been able to tolerate mid-to-high 30's without fear of turning blue.

2011 ZSX 1000
Red / ebony
Bag Connection AERO saddlebags
Garmin Nuvi 550 rammed
Kuso heated grips
ZG touring windscreen / CalSci Tall
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 06:11 AM

Oh and the Wine colored one matches the 2011's pretty well. I wasn't really interested in matching my bike but this color was the one I could get the fastest.

Just extra information.

Oh one other thing to note the inner pockets are all available even if you strip out the quilted liner. They replicate the inner pockets on the quilted liner and sub liner.

For a "cheap" jacket I was amazed at the quality and thought. I snagged mine for 180 at bikebandit.com
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 10:42 AM

The Transition is not a cold weather jacket. Tourmaster does make a cold weather jacket though called the Epic. Also most Tourmaster gear I've seen does not provide much abrasion protection as they use lighter weight polyester shells.

Riding for 2 hours on the highway at 65mph in 40F is infinitely more cold than taking a 20min trip through town in stop and go riding. The wind is what chills you as well as the time spent at speed. Be sure to compare apples to apples. I find I need to wear a balaclava under my helmet in temps below 40F to keep my neck and chin from freezing.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...veyourhide.pdf

Last edited by Sprocket; 11-20-2011 at 11:08 AM.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 05:22 PM
rlj

I have the ICON Patrol Jacket. Plenty warm with the liner in for really cold weather. Without the liner its perfect for 40 degree plus weather. And its waterproof and works well. Got caught a few weeks ago coming home from the mountains in 40 degree weather and rain. Stayed warm and dry. Would have been nice if I had the ICON Patrol pants............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode