New gear on its way and I'm excited - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New gear on its way and I'm excited

No more cobbling together clothing for warmth soon. I was wearing my Joe rocket Mesh jacket with waterproof liner and a fleece for 40 and below. It kept me warm but felt super bulky.

Ordered a Tourmaster Transition 2 Jacket
a set of First Gear Carbon heated gloves (whee heat and armor to replace my current no armored insulated gloves) and dual portable troller unit (so if I want to add a second set of heated gear I can)
Pair of Fly Milepost kicks for my feet to replace my current non armored boots.

Can't wait for Mr. UPS Man to visit next week so I can get my troller mounted and my hands toasty.

After I recuperate from the cost shock of buying that much gear at once and rebuild up my motorcycle gear savings account I'll probably pick up a set of bags to go on my PLR450 rack. Decided I don't want the e21's and will be going with the Givi TRK33N side cases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Congrats on your gears and post some pictures with you wearing it..

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
Ordered ... a set of First Gear Carbon heated gloves ... and dual portable troller unit (so if I want to add a second set of heated gear I can)
Good move on the Dual Heat Controller. You might not `needí the heated Jacket Liner but you may eventually want it. It sure is nice to have the additional warmth (without bulk) when you get down into the 30ís & 20ís Ė and keeping your core temp up will even keep your feet warmer.

If you do decide to get a Jacket Liner; I donít know about First Gearís but the Gerbingís incorporates the glove power leads into the liner (they hide in neat little sleeve pockets for when youíre not using them) and it makes it much easier to gear up... and AFAIK, the power requirements (voltage & current draw) and connectors are the same.

Enjoy your new gloves. Youíre in for a treat!

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

I saw that about the Gerbing liners and I like that feature ALOT. I do believe they are compatible with the FirstGear gloves I bought. Firstgear basically rebranded Warn-n-Safe gloves and added armor.

I just did some checking and it looks like I forgot to order the Y-Harness. Oh well I'll just order two and do a semi-permanent install between the liner and the jacket on both my jackets. That way I can use the heaters on both if necessary.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 10:09 AM

Those little brown trucks make so many people happy!

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tig View Post
Those little brown trucks make so many people happy!

Unless your my friend... the little brown truck driver was delivering packages he shouldn't to his now ex-wife. What we had trouble figuring out how he made time for it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Gloves came monday afternoon.

Still waiting on the controller unit (should be friday).

Bucket test on monday evening. Ice cold water and 5 gallon bucket then jam your hands in. No leaks woot!

Rode yesterday morning 40 degrees and sunny. Pretty nice without the controller unit. Gloves are a little stiff still so it makes the piano hands technique of restoring blood flow a bit of a challenge. A few more rides and wearing them around the house flexing my hands should alleviate that.

Rode this morning and got 6 miles before I switched out to my insulated leathers. I knew I should have broken them in more before attempting a cold weather early morning ride. The fact I couldn't piano hands my fingers had the tips freezing. 36 degrees and dark makes them not optimal. Add in the new stiffness and it made things not comfortable. I'll wear them a bit more during the day around the house and at work.

Can't wait till the controller comes in. then its a whole new ball game. I can see them being my year round gloves if I can break them in though. The protection level is phenomenal.

All in all I'm giving them a 4 out of 5.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
No more cobbling together clothing for warmth soon. I was wearing my Joe rocket Mesh jacket with waterproof liner and a fleece for 40 and below. It kept me warm but felt super bulky.

Ordered a Tourmaster Transition 2 Jacket
a set of First Gear Carbon heated gloves (whee heat and armor to replace my current no armored insulated gloves) and dual portable troller unit (so if I want to add a second set of heated gear I can)
Pair of Fly Milepost kicks for my feet to replace my current non armored boots.

Can't wait for Mr. UPS Man to visit next week so I can get my troller mounted and my hands toasty.

After I recuperate from the cost shock of buying that much gear at once and rebuild up my motorcycle gear savings account I'll probably pick up a set of bags to go on my PLR450 rack. Decided I don't want the e21's and will be going with the Givi TRK33N side cases.
I have a 3/4 length jacket like yours and find it ideal for colder temps (and anything below 70F) but use a heated liner with it as well as gloves. With just the insulated liner it is still cold below 45F. The other advantage of a liner is you don't have wires inside your jacket, the gloves just plug into the cuffs of the liner.

BTW Warm&Safe make FirstGear heated gear. FirstGear liners are the old style Warm&Safe liners. Did you get their wireless bluetooth controller?

Last edited by twowheels; 11-09-2011 at 08:42 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 03:13 PM

What no pants???? Don't your legs get cold too?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Have Firstgear kathmandu waterproof insulated pants. Nice and toasty so far to 34 degrees. Finding my core is warm ATM with just a fleece pullover, under armour t shirt and mesh jacket with non-breathable liner. But I really wanted a more durable jacket so I got the tour master.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
What no pants???? Don't your legs get cold too?
Stud - when I bought my Tourmaster heated jacket liner, I also got the heated "chaps". I've used the 2 only once, because my legs got way too hot. I find that JUST the jacket liner keeps me toasty by keeping my core warm, and I've ridden in less than 32F quite a bit. So, guess I wasted the aprox. $150 the chaps cost. Oh well....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 06:53 AM
djg

Ups delivery is always welcomed here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sexy_ups_girl.jpg (36.4 KB, 370 views)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Ups delivery is always welcomed here.
I wish our driver looked like that... but my wife might tell me I couldn't answer the door.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

All armored up.

New boots - Fly Milepost Sport Touring
New Jacket - Tourmaster Transistion Series 2 (quilted liner is WARM)
Pants - Kathmandu Waterproof Overpants
Gloves - Firstgear Carbon gloves
Helmet - HJC CL-16 with a NEW breath box to help eliminate fogging.

Wanted silver for my jacket but they were so backordered I switched my color to wine... apparently I match my bike now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg armored_up.jpg (80.7 KB, 102 views)
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 06:24 AM

As long as you have the liner in that is a warm jacket. I have had one for the last three years and have been very happy with it.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

I am still amazed by the jacket. It's lighter than my mesh and the armor less intrusive. The customization of tightness in three areas (forearm, bicep and shoulder) is great. Wearing itdoesnt feel like a motorcycle jacket, it just feels like a good jacket. I cant believe the quality. Can't wait to go for a ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode