Olympia vs Rev'it comparison - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Olympia vs Rev'it comparison

After 3 seasons of use I am seeing significant differences in the durability of my Rev'it and Olympia gear. I have Rev’It Sand/Dakar pants and an Olympia AST jacket. Both manufacturer/model lines occupy the same mid tier 4 season touring gear category.

Out of the box Rev’It gear just feels nicer. It has a very soft feel to the insulated lining and fits like it was made for your body (as long as you are slim to med+ but not heavy). They also have a high level of attention to detail like color coded zippers for the liners, hand pulls, snaps, etc vs the velcro everywhere Olympia uses. The breathable waterproofing also seems more breathable than the brand Olympia uses.

The Olympia gear on the other hand is constructed more like a Volvo transport truck vs a luxury car. It is not so much meant to feel luxurious as it is constructed to stand up to heavy duty use and be functional. The thick Cordura shell is much stiffer feeling (and I suspect more abrasion resistant) and even the liner is heavy denier nylon vs the soft feeling taffeta lining in the Rev'it. The fit of the Olympia gear is not so much a tailored fit as it is an adjustable fit. It will also fit you better if you have the typical middle age American body type although it will also adjust to fit slimmer people well too.

In an out of the box or an in store comparison the Rev’It gear will probably impress more but over the long term the Olympia gear will stand up better. The insulated lining in the Rev'it pants has torn in several spots due to wear and the inside seams on the legs of the pants have started to split due to chafe on the seat. The Olympia jacket is in the same shape after 3 seasons of constant use as it was when it was new. If I had to slide for any distance on rough pavement I think I would prefer the 2000D/500D heavy stiff feeling Dupont Cordura over the soft feeling 500D material Rev’It uses. The stitching on the Rev’It gear does not seem as heavy as the Olympia gear either.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-12-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Good to know.i've had my eye on an Olympia Suit since i saw the gear fellow forum member Bultaco was wearing to the D/FW BBQ Run.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I did slide for some distance (about 12-15 feet) in my AST jacket and pants.

The 4 year old AST jacket had significant damage: The left elbow now has a 1/2" by 2" area under the armor that has a bit more shine than the rest of the cordura.

The equally aged pants are even worse off: the highest edge of the overlapped seam on the back (a few inches below the waist band) has abrasion, so it now looks like a white(-ish) line on the otherwise black background.

Oh, and there was significant damage to my motorcycle, none of which was prevented by the AST jacket and pants!

For everyone who suffered through this lame attempt at humor, you can tell that I am very happy with the longevity and damage resistance of the AST jacket and pants (and its occupant).
I have never owned Rev'It, so I can't compare or comment on it.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 12:33 AM

Interesting. I'm surprised one man can wear both. I fit Rev-It pretty well, but I was lost inside the only Olympia gear I've tried. Maybe if there were more sizes and selection in the store I was in, I wouldda found something that fit--though I think what I tried should have worked based on fit chart.

My Rev-it Sand is very versatile, and breathes fine, but never seemed like the most waterproof. No problem: That's what rain gear is for. Might not be the most durable either: a snap popped out of the rain liner recently. less than 1 1/2 years old. Oh well. It works fine without that snap.

It's my goto jacket in the hottest weather. And until I got a heated liner this season, it was my goto jacket in the coldest temperatures as well. It's awesome gear on a budget. Similar for Olympia I think, but the cut is much different.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
the soft feeling 500D material Rev’It uses.
According to specs, the Sand shell is some mix of PWR|shell 500D, PWR|shell 750D, PWR|wax 1200D, and Lorica.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
Interesting. I'm surprised one man can wear both.
I'm 6ft and 170lb and wear a large in most gear but a med Olympia AST fits me perfectly. It is fairly adjustable for fit with a belt and sleeve tensioning straps as well as extra zipper on the sides to adjust for lower girth.

As for my size L revit pants, they fit perfectly too but I do not have room for street pants under them. I sometimes wear them with a base layer though. Not a bad thing as the tight fit keeps the armor in place but it is not so tight as to be restrictive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
According to specs, the Sand shell is some mix of PWR|shell 500D, PWR|shell 750D, PWR|wax 1200D, and Lorica.
The 500D Powershell material Rev'It uses is MUCH, MUCH softer to the touch than the heavier feeling 500D Dupont Cordura Olympia uses. Subjectively the Cordura feels tougher and stronger but then again I have never crashed in it or sent it to a lab for analysis either.

I had a seamstress fix the torn seam my Rev'It pants for $20 and they should hopefully be good for a few more seasons use. I've removed the armor from my Olympia AST jacket and am currently using it again this year as a regular winter jacket. The Olympia jacket is now three years old and gets worn pretty much year round but is not showing any signs of wear.

I would recommend both Rev'It and Olympia gear although as I posted earlier I've found my Olympia stuff to be slightly more robust than anything else I've tried so far. I am still happy with my Rev'It gear though and would recommend it as well although I would give a slight lead to Olympia for value and durability. I've found both the Rev'It and Olympia products are light years ahead of similar products I've previously owned from Joe Rocket and Tourmaster. I've found both the Rev'it and Olympia gear are more durable, use heavier zippers, have superior hot weather venting systems, have a more accurate fit where the armor does not slide around, use warmer winter liners, use breathable waterproofing instead of vinyl coatings and use much more abrasion resistant textiles in the outer shell. At least to me the slightly higher cost for better quality gear was worth it and may turn out to be a cost savings as well due to increased longevity.

Last edited by twowheels; 12-22-2011 at 12:23 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 12:54 PM

I have bought Rev'it! gear for years and will continue to do so. I think their R&D is better and I have been down in their gear. I simply sent it in, and they gave me %20 the replacement.

Great customer service.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode