Bluetooth Helmet - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bluetooth Helmet

I want to get a bluetooth ready helmet to integrate with my cell phone and Garmin 550. Any suggestions? Also, a 12 volt plug adapter would be nice to have since most of my rides to places other than work surpass the battery life of most bluetooth devices, like my earbud.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I did a lot of research on the bluetooth helmets and what i found were most were lacking. I went with the scala rider Q2 set up and its works great with my zumo 550 and cell phone. They have the new Q4's out now.Also bought a car charger for it and a powerlet outlet that connects to the battery and its comes out just under the seat on the left side that way i can charge while riding. Use to use the outlet on the dash of the bike but i didn't like it as much that way.
http://www.powerlet.com/product/ciga...uty-10-amp/383

IMG_0062 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 10-22-2014 at 12:42 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

Caberg Helmets.

http://www.caberg-helm.com/products/sintesi.php

There are a lot after market cheap blue tooth device in the market now, so finding one that suits your need should not be a problem.

This is my DIY cheap Blue-tooth set up.

Blue-tooth set cost RM 250 (less than USD100)Taiwan made.Good performance and can take both GPS/Phone.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 01:19 PM

Motopsycho --

I just received my Scala G4 Multiset, and I must say, its really nice. The main reason I got it is that I wanted GPS, but a stand alone GPS unit was quite expensive. So I looked into a headset since my smartphone can do GPS navigation. I figured I could have my phone providing GPS and just listen through the headset (it works awesome by the way).

The G4 vs. the G2 is mainly the fact that G4 allows for A2DP/AVRCP profile for wireless streaming stereo from your MP3 player, iPhone™ or other smartphone.

It was more money, but you get two units for around $330 (amazon). Here are the inital benefits:

1) Music - The speakers, although no bass, can get extremely loud. I went riding this weekend and kept it at the lowest volume so I could hear the road while also hearing music and it was great
2) GPS - As I said above, I just have my andriod phone running turn by turn navigation. The GPS navigation, even through my phone, has priority over music. So the music will stop, the GPS will talk, then the music will resume (awesomeee)
3) Phone - Won't use it much, but I tested it and it works great
4) Intercom - Used it with my lady very briefly, so I can't say much. It worked ok, I think I have to play with it a bit more. But I look forward to it so far.
5) Auto Volume control - the faster you go on the bike, the louder the sound gets automatically. I believe it adjusts based on background noise which is awesome. makes it so that if you crusing at 75 on the highway you don't have to adjust the volume +4 jusat to hear it because you intitially set it when you were sitting still at your house.

7) Quality - Although it's expensive, so far it really looks like a solid unit. The g4 looks nice, feels nice, and you can't even notice that your helmet has the unit installed besides the piece that sticks on the outside.

It's really really easy to put together - took about 15mins the first helmet and then 5 mins for the second one. This is not something I would like to transfer helmet to helmet but it is quite easy.

if your going to go spend money on a bluetooth helmet, I would recommend the Scala because that is an investment that you can transfer to your next helmet and the one after that and the one after that.

if you have any specific questions, LMK. Still learning the product, but overall, its quite nice!

OH - and you were talking about battery life. The quoted time on the G4 is 10 hours.. I somehow doubt that you will need more time than that out of the unit! It comes with a DC charger/USB charger (obviously charging through USB takes a lot longer). I went riding this weekend for 5 hours and it still has plenty of juice.

Last edited by naudan; 10-10-2011 at 01:23 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 03:06 PM

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naudan View Post
Motopsycho --

OH - and you were talking about battery life. The quoted time on the G4 is 10 hours.. I somehow doubt that you will need more time than that out of the unit! It comes with a DC charger/USB charger (obviously charging through USB takes a lot longer). I went riding this weekend for 5 hours and it still has plenty of juice.
Yeah, 10 is ok for once I get somewhere and only do 400 miles or so a day, but haul days (to far away places, like home to Colorado, or Texas) are 14-20 hour days. But, I could always get the 12v plug charger and wear it while it charges.

IBA # 49372
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 07:09 AM

Ive been using the Vemar Jiano Bluetooth all summer and it works great with all my devices, phone, ipod, GPS. The life of the battery has been about 15 hours. I have not used in cold weather and Im sure that will cut it down a little but the helmet battery is good. If you have a Shoei shaped head it will fit perfect at the same size. If you can find last years model you can get it for under 300. Love the flip down sun-shield saves me the trouble of carrying an extra shield. The shield is truly fog proof and I have no idea how they did that but it is. The bad things Ive found with the helmet is that it is not the best rain helmet Ive ever used as it does leak a little behind the shield during heavy rain but only during those you need to pull over anyway dumps and the second thing is that you have to deal with the guys at motonation....lots of luck with that as they are the most unresponsive company Ive ever worked with!

Last edited by douglasgraham; 10-11-2011 at 07:14 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 02:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKER View Post
my friends pitched in and bought me one for my birthday. Bike to bike is great, range is decent. Using my droid and bluetooth for music, it works okay, but could be a bit louder on the highway. I could probably take the time to see if settings can be adjusted...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 06:52 PM

I have a scala team to talk to my pillion and to asnwer the phone. Battery life is excellent never run out of juice. For music it has a aux adapter so as long as I'm not too demanding with the sound quality, wich is awfull since the unit is not made for it, or been wired it will work. I use the aux adapter to listed to FM radio while commuting. There is a scala that already have FM but the team was on sale at the store and the cheap factor kicked in.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My speaker that I was using in my helmet decided to take a break...
so I'm looking to buy something more solid and with more functions.

I want blue tooth because I want to buy a smartphone for GPS and music. I like blue tooth because there is no wire, but I want to see what's the battery life for this. can I charge it when I ride from a power socket?
I plan to buy 2, my wife started to ride with me.

Right now I have my eyes on Scala G4 and Sena SMH10.
I like Scala more because it has FM radio that I can listen when I commute.
I have a full face helmet, is there any problem with the microphone fitting inside the helmet?

Any good comparison? any good deal for them?
Thx!

Versys 2015 Green
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
...Right now I have my eyes on Scala G4 and Sena SMH10....
I have a Cardo G4 but it has more bluetooth connectivity limitations than Sena has announced as part of their next firmware upgrade. In addition to the Sena SMH10, Sena has a bluetooth hub, and a smaller, less expensive SMH5 headset which might be suited for a passenger who doesn't need as many features or multi-device bluetooth. (My Cardo G4 can't talk to my phone and my Zumo 220 GPS concurrently.)

Some headsets have a boom mike or a inside the helmet mike option. I have a flip-up helmet and use a boom that comes around the side and up inside the chin bar.

I don't know about charging and using simultaneously.

From Sena Support:
SMH10 support HFP and A2DP bluetooth connections to connect to non-intercom bluetooth devices. Currently, SMH10 only support one device per Bluetooth connection type which means you cannot directly connect your phone and motorcycle specific GPS to SMh10 at the same time. However, if you do have motorcycle GPS system like the ZUMO550/660 or TomTom Rider, then you can connect you phone to GPS and connect GPS to SMH10. I advise you view below demo video for clarification.
http://www.youtube.com/senabluetooth#p/u/4/jIOYAlSDqMg
You will find more demo videos on our website below.
http://www.senabluetooth.com/product...tab_menu=video
We plan to release next firmware update for SMH10 very soon. Next firmware update will allow limited two HFP conenctions at the same time. This means you can connect your phone and GPS to SMH10 at the same time. However, GPS must connect via HFP only. If GPS requires A2DP connection too, then it will not work.

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:22 PM

Garage
With the Scala set up you can use it while its charging. I've done it several times.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 05:52 AM

There is a young man here at work who ordered a new helmet from a company called Torc(?) that has the option to integrate the bluetooth into the helmet. From what he was telling me his helmet with the blue tooth set was about 300 bucks.

I'm waiting for him to give me his thoughts. We do wear the same helmet size and he offered to let me take it for a test run, so I might take him up on it.

"Why do I ride?"

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasgraham View Post
Ive been using the Vemar Jiano Bluetooth all summer and it works great with all my devices, phone, ipod, GPS. The life of the battery has been about 15 hours. I have not used in cold weather and Im sure that will cut it down a little but the helmet battery is good. If you have a Shoei shaped head it will fit perfect at the same size. If you can find last years model you can get it for under 300. Love the flip down sun-shield saves me the trouble of carrying an extra shield. The shield is truly fog proof and I have no idea how they did that but it is. The bad things Ive found with the helmet is that it is not the best rain helmet Ive ever used as it does leak a little behind the shield during heavy rain but only during those you need to pull over anyway dumps and the second thing is that you have to deal with the guys at motonation....lots of luck with that as they are the most unresponsive company Ive ever worked with!
I was looking at this helmet as well. http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...th_helmet.html is this what you have? Does it have 2 speakers? They say if you have 2 of them you can go he lent to helmet. Have you tried this?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 07:42 PM

http://www.farklemyride.com/2012/03/...oth-intercoms/

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...h-intercom.htm

Here are a couple of decent articles. I use the chatterbox and have zero regrets.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 06:28 AM

Well I tried on the Torc Helmet. Size runs a little big compared to my HJC CL-16. Bluetooth was pretty nice and it was all integrated into the helmet.

No pesky boom mikes to get in the way. Cost for the helmet is about 199 with bluetooth. Very well ventilated also. His model was called the Prodigy T-10. The lining in this helmet is so smooth and soft, I thought a kitten was hugging my face.

URL is http://www.torchelmets.com apparently they are a new company formed in 2011 under this company http://www.hhsportsprotection.com/index.html which does a few other companies.

I decided I didn't want that particular helmet because if I was going to go get the bluetooth option then I would pay out the 80 dollars more to get the helmet with the upgraded unit the Blinc 3. So a few hours later after I got home from work I ordered myself a Torc T-22 Modular Helmet with Blinc 3. Managed to get free shipping from Fleabay. Out the wallet price is 289.00.

So now I wait for this, in gloss black, to show up at the house so I can give a detailed update. I know its an off brand and I will probably catch some flak but worst that happens is I craigslist it and go back to my 3 year old HJC. Not sure if it helps Motopyscho but figured since this was about bluetooth on helmets I would post.

I'll take one for the team and test the helmet out and report back as soon as it is in my grubby mitts ya'll.

found a video of the helmet on youtube, they don't demo the Blinc module though. Figured I would share and then post my photos when I receive it.

"Why do I ride?"

Last edited by MikeV; 04-06-2012 at 12:11 PM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 04:47 PM

New helmet came.

Initial feelings. You can tell this is a first or second generation design. The fit and finish is meh, my HJC has a better finished feel. Tested the bluetooth while standing in the driveway. Very clear with visor up or down. FM tuner seems to work well and so does the bluetooth for streaming audio from my phone's media player.

Little tight but I know the medium would have been too big for me. Flip down visor seems to work well.

No instruction manual for the actual helmet just a pretty detailed guide for the Blinc III unit, so I'm not sure how the inner visor removes so you can switch out lenses. By the way the helmet comes with a smoke visor, a dark visor and a yellow visibility visor for low light conditions. Oh well I didn't buy it for that feature it was an added bonus.

Outer visor seems fine and polished. Modular front seems a bit strange to me as I have never worn a modular helmet before. I'll get used to it. I don't expect to open the chin area much anyway. It's a pretty smooth mechanism after a few tries and you get used to working the button and lifting. also has a few venting areas one of which is a large one on the top of the helmet. The gloss finish is pretty good quality.

I'd give this a 6 out of 10 without riding with it yet. I say give this brand a few years and I bet they will improve the finish a bit. I don't know what it is that makes me say that it looks like a first gen or second gen helmet. It's just the impression I get. I am pretty sure they will smooth some areas out to make it mores slick. It's pretty comfy just walking around the house and running through the yard. Yes I test helmets by jogging around my back yard. It helps me check fitment.

Brand is Torc and the model T22b. Once I ride with it I'll update this.

Ok first ride impressions of about an hour and half:

1) Not a replacement for my HJC for temps below 38 degrees yet. For spring and summer I think this will be great.
2) wind noise is tolerable and the fm tuner in the helmet is clear till about 85mph, haven't tested calls yet but the speakers are very adequate for 70-75mph with the volume up 3/4 quarters of the way
3) first suggestion I would make to the company would be where the chin bar and helmet meet when sealed toss a nice compression foam sealer. This would eliminate some noise and create a better seal to stop escaping heat
4) chin strap very soft but the back part needs to be angled towards the front a tad. It basically goes straight down at the moment. Minor and you don't notice it while riding. When you first put it on though you notice it.
5) chin bar area needs a small bit of foam on the inside and just cover it with the same material in the inside of the helmet. This would help the heat retention a bit.
6) offer an online pdf detailing how to maintain the helmet and remove the drop down inner visors. I'm not sure how you switch them out and I'm afraid of breaking the inner visors if I do it wrong.
7) the gloss coating on the helmet is fabulous. I was able to wipe the pollen and road dust off with my fleece pullover sleeve with no effort.
8) Top vent closure needs a tad more grip area to open/close while riding
9) Built in chin curtain needs to be a bit more pronounced. It does a good job but if it was extended back an 1/8 of an inch it would be more effective.

Otherwise not too bad for a first generation helmet from a new company and with the features it has the price is phenomenal. Minor tweaks would put it in competition with the well known brands for a minimal price point raise of about 4-10 dollars. So for 289 it is a pretty good featured bluetooth modular helmet. I will say if they offered the Prodigy helmet model with the Blinc III that their modular comes with I would switch to that model in a heartbeat though, not because its a poor helmet I just like full solid helmets better. We'll see how I like this after a few months. I'll see about getting some pictures up showing the features.

"Why do I ride?"

Last edited by MikeV; 04-13-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode