Did the deed. Roadcrafter inbound. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Did the deed. Roadcrafter inbound.

Well after riding with a couple guys that have em and thinking about what I wanted the motorcycle for and my budget and all that jazz I decided to bite the bullet and order an Aerostich Roadcrafter.

I won't belabor the minutae but there are plenty of reviews on both sides including: It lasts forever, It leaks, It's safe as hell, It's too dang stiff, It's a great value, It's too expensive, The suit and technology are proven, The suit and technology are too old.

At the end of the day I decided I want to ride my bike a lot more and in CT that means more crummy weather. And the RC seemed like the ticket. One rider in particular who I trust deeply on the matters of riding practices and gear definitely helped to sway my decision.

So it should be hitting my office on Mon and I will spend a couple days wandering round the house in it to check the fit and all that before I take it out on the roads.

And hell, at the end of the day if I hate it I will throw it on the FS forums and someone can get it for a steal.

I'm excited for it to come and can't wait to get it on!

Will share some impressions if anyone cares.

Tootles-
E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 12:28 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Congrats....love my Stitch!!!
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Hmm motorbike gear, the most excited a guy ever gets about any sort of clothing

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
FWIW - suits -I have leather, mesh, non-mesh, heated, waterproof... and that's at EACH location - AZ and BC! Sometimes it's hard deciding, but ALWAYS fun!

Gloves - probably 5 or 6 pair at each.

Boots - 3 pair at each - waterproof, regular, MX.

Helmets - a modular with new back-up (both places) and a SHOEI in BC.

Ain't life a B*TCH...?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 10-01-2011 at 11:06 AM.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Hmm motorbike gear, the most excited a guy ever gets about any sort of clothing
+10... and keep us posted...

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
Congrats....love my Stitch!!!
+2. Yee Haw....Great balls of Fire.....!

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 12:43 PM

Did you look at the Olympia Phantom, it is a lot cheaper but not custom fit, just wondering how they compare?

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/olymp...ports/phantom/
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

well i can't compare two things i am not familiar with but i bet if you did something like this it would be more illuminating for you
http://tinyurl.com/5tgrd85

frankly i have enough 'expensive' hobbies (fly fishing, mtn bikes, firearms [to name a few])and have been burned enough times buying 'cheap' stuff that just doesnt come through in the clutch. so going back to my original post i feel like, and hope, the $ will be justified. ultimately the value of the product is what i'm after.

just looking af $ of product A v $ of product B is of course nonsense. imo, its more like ($ of A)/(Life and Functionalty of A)v same for B. And theres just no way to know sometimes without jumping in there with both feet and finding out the hard way.

and kiwi you are right!
but i will say when I found Land's End slim-fit no-iron dress shirts i was just about as gleeful..
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 07:27 PM

Had my 'Stich for twelve years and about 100k miles. I only hope the Versys holds up as well!
I did send it back a couple times trying to get the fit right, but they were great about that. A ride in the rain softens the suit up nicely. Mine has a crotch leak now, but only in real gully-washers. A great piece of gear, (made in the USA!!) and you'll find very few who own one who wouldn't buy one again. I mean, eventually.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by e moneybags View Post
So it should be hitting my office on Mon
well it got here on mon evening, i worked from home yesterday, and found the pkg on my desk this morning. exciting times.

i have plans for tonight (i am in a beginner curling league nearby for a couple weeks ) but plan to be wearing this thing like all weekend to get a feel for it.

looks great out of the box.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 02:17 PM

It takes a few decent rides to break in....I sent back two suits before I sent in my measurements to have the custom one made. I only paid return shipping....They are really good about helping you get the fit right. I recommend calling in the morning....the evening people seemed a little less experienced....just my observation. They all were very patient with me and all my questions...even waited on the phone while I sat on the bike and the wife measured me for the 100th time....

They are pricey but I'm too poor to buy cheap....

I about to pull the trigger ona Schuberth C3 helmet
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Well the suit looks GREAT, but alas it is definitely too small. Can barely reach down for the ankle zip with the stretch across the back and shoulders. BOooooo..

But called up today while I was wearin the suit at home and spoke with a young lady and we talked about sizing and various different 'feels' of the suit. Long story short the one I have will be going back and she is getting the next size up in the color I want into production so I can have it in a couple weeks.

Looking forward to getting in the suit and out for a ride!
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 07:47 AM

Which colors did you want?
Sorry to hear it did not fit well and had to resend back.

The roadcrafter is meant to be used over your daily clothes. Only if going commando, you then need to measure the exact body dimension.

Once riding with the suit, try not to wash it too many times.
It will break in quicker but the water proofing of the gore-tex will suffer.
Aerostich does have that 3M waterproofing can.

For cleaning, I turn the suit inside out.
Wipe clean with a cloth with dettol. then wipe dry with another cloth and let dry. Smells and feel as good as new inside.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

lol @ 'commando'

Yea I had on my regular street clothes including a light sweatshirt over my t shirt but still it was so tight across the shoulders and up the back that I couldn't move much! But I think you are supposed to order the same size you normally wear (like suit size) and it is already cut to fit over clothes.

Regardless I am confident we'll find a right size. Looking at a black on black which I'm not crazy about but since I'm already goign to look like a spaceman I didnt want to go all blue and red and start to look like a spaceman / superhero. Just couldnt do it. Got a hi viz vest for dark rainy days just in case.

Was thinking of washing (WITHOUT detergent) to aid the break in, plus riding it in the rain since that's half the point anyway.

Cant wait!
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 08:10 AM

If you send them you street cloths sizes plus honestly answer the questions about your body type they get the sizes pretty good. I'm longer in the torso than in the legs proportionally so I had to go custom. I ended up having to shorten the legs and arms on a suit that would have been perfect for someone 6'2" and I'm only 5'11". take your time get the suit to fit right its worth the wait when its all done and fits.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 07:28 AM

The one thing about this company is that they will take care of you. I love mine and wore it all year. I had planned on not wearing it in the summer but it was pretty mild this time around and I worn it every day. Keeps me dry, vents well and is the best winter suit with heated gear underneath. Your going to love it.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 01:51 AM

Love the new Roadcrafter design where there's belt loops for belt use to prevent sagging down of the pants.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

New one is made (that was quick) and when my return shipment hits their door (mid next week?) they will get it coming this way. Im excited.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 06:44 PM

The roads are waiting...........E,

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 03:26 AM

G'Day E,

How's you new roadcrafter?

Just got mine stiched with some leather as melted a bit of the end accidentally resting it on the hot exhaust....

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode