Gerbing or Widder? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gerbing or Widder?

OK, it's time to upgrade the heated jacket liner. I've gone the cheaper route (Tourmaster Synergy) and now I'm read to go with higher quality (and price). Any recommendations? Specifically, what would you advise against?

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Hey "spidey" - what didn't you like about the Synergy? If it still works, what size and how many $? Please PM me.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I've been using the Synergy Heated Jacket liner, Vest and gloves for several years. The jacket and Vest liner are great.

The leather gloves can leave the thumbs a little cold when the temps are down in the 20s though but are better than no heat.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Hey "spidey" - what didn't you like about the Synergy? If it still works, what size and how many $? Please PM me.
The vest is a size large 44 and the pants are large 34-36. I found the pants to be not needed. Only wore them once and my legs just don't seem to get cold when I wear good over pants. The vest I've used for a couple of years. The temp regulator would only work occassionaly and I got a new one. It also is not reliable so I travel with both of them. Then over the weekend the cord support tore out of the jacket, pulling some wires with it (see photo). It still works but I don't know for how long. I just think I need a more durable vest.

I would be interested in selling but not until I get something to replace it with. Stand by...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tourmaster1.JPG (103.3 KB, 92 views)

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 05:35 PM

I have the Gerbings and it works great. I don't know much about the other brands but from my research, I liked the features of the Gerbing especially the microwire? technology so it heats up fast and you can actually roll it up tight if needed for storage and they have a good warranty.
Not cheap but I expect it to last a long time.

2013 Versys1000
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 05:44 PM

Powerlet

I've got a Powerlet jacket liner, made by Warm and Safe and same as First Gear. Very warm, heats up fast, rolls up smaller than a bread loaf... Mine was on ebay NWT for $129 shipped.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 06:10 PM

I have had my Gerbing jacket since 1997 and it still works perfectly and has a life time warranty.

I wore out the leather on their gloves, they still work, but have holes on the fingers.

Ended up getting some Warm and Dry on a special deal, they seem to work fine-but they are not waterproof-nor were my original Gerbings.

Think Gerbings now have a really waterproof glove-that would be my choice.

Machog

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
...Then over the weekend the cord support tore out of the jacket, pulling some wires with it (see photo). It still works but I don't know for how long. I just think I need a more durable vest.

I would be interested in selling but not until I get something to replace it with. Stand by...
Let me know - as long as it DOES heat up, I'd be interested in the jacket liner (it's NOT a vest, is it?) but not pants liner.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 05:35 PM

I've been using Gerbing's jacket and gloves for many, many years and many, many miles.

I like them a lot.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 06:56 PM

My Gerbings jacket liner is great, had it since 2004.

I picked up Warm n Safe heated gloves a couple years ago because I preferred how they fit my hands. One went cold one day but I discovered it was the harness, not the gloves, and Warm n Safe sent a new harness no questions asked.

Warm beats cold.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Let me know - as long as it DOES heat up, I'd be interested in the jacket liner (it's NOT a vest, is it?) but not pants liner.
Sorry, it's only the vest - and without the collar. I like the thing a lot but it just hasn't held up. Thanks everyone for the input. Looks like I'll be swallowing real hard and forking out the bucks for the Gerbing. I hope to have it for a very long time.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 11:22 AM

Widder has gone out of business.

I find the heated gloves and jacket liner are all I need to ride down to 0C/32F (with 3/4 jacket and insulated motorcycle pants).

I've tried both the Tourmaster Synergy and Gerbings Microwire liners and gloves (including powering both up). I ordered both online last Feb. so I could compare and ended up returning the Tourmaster stuff.

Tourmaster
Pros
- includes temp controller which makes it about ~$60 cheaper in total
Cons
- temp controller with tiny push buttons does not look like it can easily be adjusted underway with gloves on
- less insulated than Gerbings
- fewer heat panels than Gerbings and less consistent heat of less of the body
- Tourmaster gloves had hot spots where I could feel wires

Gerbings
Pros
- thinsulate insulation over heated inner layer
- temp controller is easy to adjust under way with heavy gloves on
- more consistent and even heat over a larger area of the body
- more responsive to changes in temp, heats up faster
- life time warranty on electrics
Cons
- more expensive because it requires separate purchase of a temp controller

Other factors
I find I need to frequently adjust the temp while riding to stay comfortable as my speed or other factors change. The ability to do this without having to stop I would say is hugely important. I clip my dual channel controller to the outside of my jacket to make this easy to do underway. You need two temp controllers or a dual channel controller for a jacket liner and gloves. This is because with one controller your hands will need to be too cold to keep from overheating your liner, or over heat your body to keep your hands warm. Jacket liners need to fit snug over just a thin shirt to transfer heat effectively. A heated collar is really nice, I find I no longer use my balaclava in freezing weather.

Last edited by Sprocket; 10-01-2011 at 12:14 PM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 11:37 AM

Can you guys with Gerbing T5 gloves say a few words about protection they offer?

Winter is coming and I'm again agonizing between the winter moto glove with usual protection (like Held) and Gerbing's heated glove. I know I'll eventually get cold in non-heated ones but protection and overall usability is important to me.

Cheers.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 12:18 PM

There is not a lot of protection on these compared to say a race glove although I think they would hold up in most crashes. They run large, I ordered a large which normally fits and they seem a half size too large for me. I believe FirstGear/Warm&Safe are the only company to make armored heated gloves. BTW you can mix and match brands like FirstGear & Gerbings as neither have an integrated temp controller and both use the same connectors. For instance you can use a Gerbings controller to control the heat of your first gear gloves. The Gerbings liner has separate wiring integrated into it for gloves. This allow the gloves to connect to the cuffs of the liner but be on a separate circuit from the liner so the heat can be controlled independently.

Last edited by Sprocket; 10-01-2011 at 12:26 PM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Fasteddie et al: there is a Gerbing jacket liner on Ebay that looks like it will go for a very good price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gerbi...item2c5f85e6de

The seller doesn't understand the sizing system they use. Chest size is 42 and sleeve is 32" measured from the spine around to the wrist.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 05:23 AM

These are the gloves I'm considering at the moment.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/s...lectric+gloves

Seemed to get positive reviews.

I have a pal who has a Gerbing liner and gloves he loves them and has had them for years.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
These are the gloves I'm considering at the moment.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/s...lectric+gloves
With the exception of the armor on the strap, those appear identical to my WarmnSafe gloves.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 11:41 AM

So I use gerbings gear and do not have any experience with other heated gear brands but I can tell you that with the jacket liner and T-5 heated gloves I can ride at any temp for long periods of time without getting cold. I do have Bark-busters storm guards installed and Iím sure they provide a little protection but enough to make a difference on a long haul however heated grips and heated gloves are a big difference. Gerbings warranty and costumer service are really good. Iíve had work done and had a little problem once and the outcomes where fast and I was happy. Ive got thousands of miles on the Gerbings in all kinds of conditions and Ive got my moneys worth and then some. My 2 cents.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

OK so I bought the Gerbing micro wire jacket liner a couple of weeks ago and have had a chance to take 2 trips with it. It doesn't seem to get as warm as my old tourmaster vest but I think it will be warm enough. The heat is even throughout and I like the adjustable controller. The collar is very nice too - I think it's a winner! I went ahead and bought the dual controller but I don't know yet if I'll fork out the bucks for the gloves. I've already got some very warm gloves and with the handguards on the bike that may be adequate. Colder weather ahead will tell...

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 09:19 PM

Garage
I thought that the Gerbing T5 gloves were much better than the jacket liner.

I have had some trouble with burning out the dual controllers with my setup. After their first easy repair Gerbing is much more suspicious that the trouble is due to me. I spent a bit more time on the phone to get my set repaired and sent back to me. I will now get a prototype of their new controller it appears.

I think that they have great customer service, but I will hold back on my final judgement once I have had a set that lasted a lot longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode