Joe Rocket Leaks - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Joe Rocket Leaks

3 seasons. Worn every day. Now leaks in the elbow bends. The jacket is the Ballistic version, and it seems as though the water is weeping slowly through the material rather than coming in through a seam.

Anyone have a fix for this? Is there a way to reseal these jackets?

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 11:24 AM

After 2 years of around 15k miles a year, my Hein Gerick did the same thing, elbows and a bit on the chest.

Called HG to complain, they suggested I hand wash with a little detergent and then rinse with 'Nikwax TX.Direct Washin'. Its basically back to being waterproof.

But, when it really heavy and I'm riding more than an hour or so, I wear a thin, 100% waterproof breathable jacket (& pants) made by RedLedge. http://redledge.com/products/view/id/65.

I got this one, but it was on sale for around US$35.00. Hood is thin enough to be worn under a helmet so water doesn't go down your neck. It is 100% waterproof even after hours of torrential rain.

They are worn by one of the crews on Deadliest Catch, catching crab in the Bering Sea.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 11:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to versysred Send a message via Yahoo to versysred
Tents do the same thing after so many times of being wet the waterproofing just wears off so you have to put waterproof back on same with jackets.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 12:47 PM

I find, the most comfortable gear isn't waterproof, so i ride with the best protection, and add rain gear if it rains. Works for me, they never leak! Ive done 700km interstate in constant downpour and my cheap raingear kept me dry. My helmet was soaked, and I had to chenge gloves every hour, but I was dry and warm.

2007 Versys, 2003 Magna, 2000 VTR1000
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnaversys View Post
I find, the most comfortable gear isn't waterproof, so i ride with the best protection, and add rain gear if it rains. Works for me, they never leak! Ive done 700km interstate in constant downpour and my cheap raingear kept me dry. My helmet was soaked, and I had to chenge gloves every hour, but I was dry and warm.
For gloves I wear those yellow rubber gauntlets (for working with sewage) over riding gloves. NICE and DRY!

Ed
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

What I've done to fix my problem is turn the darn thing inside out, and apply plumbers GOOP to the seams and area of the leaky sleave. It sticks like crazy and remains flexible... not waiting for a torrential downpour to test it out!

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode