airhawk saddle cushion - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
airhawk saddle cushion

I just completed a 4088km ride this august. Normally my right hand will start to tingle and go numb after a hour of so. I came across this product and thought it may help my sciatica. I have a very poor back, # one reason I researched and bought the upright riding Versys. I did not have one issue with numbess in my hand on my tour. The airhawk worked great. I will use every time I plan on riding more then hour. They are not cheap, but well worth it if you are planning a long ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 12:41 PM

+1

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 07:05 PM

The first time I use the Airhawk I was not happy at all... the seat feels weird. I think I use the Airhawk too much inflated so that my butt didn't felt well positioned in the seat but seemed to move forward or backward, depending on whether braking or accelerating... Has anyone experienced this strange feeling? It does not feel very safe!

it is what it is...

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
The first time I use the Airhawk I was not happy at all... the seat feels weird. I think I use the Airhawk too much inflated so that my butt didn't felt well positioned in the seat but seemed to move forward or backward, depending on whether braking or accelerating... Has anyone experienced this strange feeling? It does not feel very safe!
That's how it's suppose to work. It has to move around to eliminate pressure points. You'll have to adjust the amount of air so it works for you. It is safe I've been using it for the last two years. Never ride without it. Trust me you'll get used to it. After a while you will not want to ride without it.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

You have to much air in the bags. You should be able to almost hit bottom. The air should swish between pockets. You do float a bit I guess, but I had no problem. If I plan to ride real aggressive I wont use the air hawk. I guess it may not be for everyone, but for the long 2500 mile tour it worked great for me!!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 10:15 PM

Which model/size fits the Versys best?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 10:18 PM

Oh, and since it is made of chambers of air, how does it work in the mountains where the air pressure changes rapidly with elevation.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhodes973 View Post
Oh, and since it is made of chambers of air, how does it work in the mountains where the air pressure changes rapidly with elevation.
Never thought of that. I did not noticed a difference when climbing from 4.9k feet to 11k feet and back down to 6k in one day. There should have been a difference. However, I do not think it was enough for me to feel it.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 11:52 AM

Which model and size do you guys have for the Versys?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Which model/size fits the Versys best?
This is the set I bought, and it fits well: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123
I probably should have bought the heavier duty neoprene set, but this one has held up with no problems over 7k+ miles of 2-up riding.

Quote:
I recently rode between 5000 ft. elevation and 9000 ft in a single day with no discernible difference in the seat cushion.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

Last edited by miguelito; 09-06-2011 at 12:20 PM.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 12:51 PM

Thanks. It looks like the Medium Cruiser is the correct size. Has anyone tried the Airhawk R on the Versys? It is a bit wider.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks. It looks like the Medium Cruiser is the correct size. Has anyone tried the Airhawk R on the Versys? It is a bit wider.
I'm on my 3rd Airhawk used on 5 bikes. The Med fits the Versys very well. If you plan on keeping it for a while get the original not the Airhawk-2, it is not as sturdy. Best hint; do not overinflate, you'll see why if you get one.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
To much air.
Over inflating makes the bag slide around.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 07:41 PM

I picked up the Airhawk 2 at the local dealer. It was out of the box so he had it discounted pretty steep and I couldn't pass it up. I got the medium cruiser which fits perfectly. I only use it for 2+ hour rides. In my opinion, it is definitely worth the money, even at full price. Release most of the air until you are practically touching the seat. Subtle movements will squeeze air in and out of the chambers, and you will have a nice smile on your hind cheeks.

2009 Kawasaki Versys - Candy Plasma Blue
2013 Yamaha WR250R
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 06:17 PM

My wife got me the medium cruiser Airhawk for my birthday (blatant hints were involved). As already noted, that's the right size for the Versys.

I immediately put it to use on a 1900-mile ride that involved three solid days of unavoidable interstate travel. Once I fixed the fairing buzz, the one thing I disliked about the Versys was the seat on long, straight rides. The Airhawk fixed that. Made a big difference on my trip.

Even when properly (barely) inflated, you still get that "floating" feeling, which I dislike when riding on curvier roads or just short trips where my butt isn't going to start to burn and ache. So unlike Boricua I only use it for longer rides. That's the advantage of the Airhawk over other seat mods. You can remove it in seconds. Almost like having two seats.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 05:24 PM

I tried out my Airhawk today for the first time. I rode about 3 hours and my butt loved it! For trips less than 30 minutes, I'll leave it at home. For longer rides, its coming with me.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Brought the airhawk for my ninja 1000 and loved it for longer rides but do not have it on for any ride under 2 hrs total. Going to put it on the Versys in a couple of weeks for a multi day middle of winter ride and it pays have cushion about 1/3 inflated in jy opinion.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 07:16 AM

I use the Airhawk all the time... even if its a 15 min ride. I dont bother with the whole, taking it off, putting it back on.

The only time I will ever think about taking it off is if I dont trust the area I am in and I will away from the bike for more than 25 mins.

Airhawk makes everything better. Gets rid of the slant, comfy, easy, transferrable.

Airhawk 1 - Medium.

BTW, I have almost no air in mine.. if you read the directions, you are to put very very very little in it.

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naudan View Post
I have almost no air in mine.. if you read the directions, you are to put very very very little in it.
Same here... Mine is normally not on the bike... but for the long hauls (anything out of town) I've got it on the bike. On top of that, I've throw on my Alaska Leather Buttpad from my ST1100... I did a 760 mile loop a few weeks back and my setup was perfect. I'm headed out on a 5500 mile loop at the end of June. That'll be the real test.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 05-22-2012 at 07:59 PM.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 07:18 AM

I used a medium Airhawk on a Wee-Strom and on a GSX650F. It was better than the stock seat, but not by much. I probably had 3-4 tours on mine before it started dry rotting, so it definitely wasn't worth the money to me. For the Versys, Seat Concepts is the way to go. I also wear bicycle shorts under my riding pants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode