Wearing Gear - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wearing Gear

Saw this in another forum:

"I had a police officer ask me at a gas station one day about how could I wear my gear on such a hot day and my response to him was that my gear was still a lot cooler than road rash.

Then I asked him why he wore his bullet proof vest and all of that cumbersome stuff on his duty belt on such a hot day...isn't it uncomfortable ? At that moment he smiled and said now he understood. "

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 09:46 AM

Should have told him it's a lot cooler when your riding a 90mph....

Good for you, I do ATGATT too and get the same questions.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 10:42 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I get this a lot...especially from the pirates....I usually say because I like my skin...

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 11:16 AM

I was riding with my wife as a passenger the other day. I made a comment about how insane other coulpes are riding in their cruisers in shorts and without helmets. She laugh and say thay must be thiking that we are the insane ones riding in full gear when it's 97F. However, neither of us will ride without full gear.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 01:18 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
I always get the best biker salutes from other riders in full gear, especially when it's hot. To me, it shows that the person respects the bike, themselves, and the fact that this is potentially a very dangerous pursuit. I got to explain the armor in my jacket and pants, the other day, to my office mates as I was gearing up (they always call my pants 'snowboard pants' LOL). Now, they too respect the gear...

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 02:41 PM

I agree with buffamazon about always getting salutations from riders wearing protective gear, Harley riders hardly salute cause most of them wear the minimum amount of gear. I tell my wife that if I ever fall from the bike, it will be easier to heal a bone, then to grow new skin.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 03:58 PM

The commute home yesterday was brutal. 10 miles from my house at 6 in the afternoon is was still 104 degrees. Even in my mesh gear I was starting to overheat. Today I will wet my tshirt before I head out.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 02:59 AM

I did two 420 miles day tours on rural roads last week in the heat. I removed my windshield on the way - that helped a lot! Having extra space in your top box sure is a luxury.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 03:32 AM

In Oz it's compulsory to wear a helmet and strongly recommended you wear proper riding gear. I agree 100% and never leave home without being fully protected.

If you don't think it necessary, try running along the road and take a dive. You wouldn't do it 'cause it's going to break stuff like skin and bone. You probably were only going 12k's an hour. Now imagine running at 60k's and hitting the bitumen. Won't be a pretty outcome. I've worked in an operating theatre and seen a multitude of bike accidents no way am I going to ride a bike without maximum protection

End sermon.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berek View Post
... proper riding gear... If you don't think it necessary, try running along the road and take a dive.
Or even just swipe a knuckle across the pavement...

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 09:51 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berek View Post
In Oz it's compulsory to wear a helmet and strongly recommended you wear proper riding gear. I agree 100% and never leave home without being fully protected.

If you don't think it necessary, try running along the road and take a dive. You wouldn't do it 'cause it's going to break stuff like skin and bone. You probably were only going 12k's an hour. Now imagine running at 60k's and hitting the bitumen. Won't be a pretty outcome. I've worked in an operating theatre and seen a multitude of bike accidents no way am I going to ride a bike without maximum protection

End sermon.
Maybe I should try that. While wearing a leather vest and a dew rag.

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffamazon View Post
I always get the best biker salutes from other riders in full gear, especially when it's hot ...
Riders wearing full gear in a hot day salute each other, meaning:

Hi, there's another one as hot as I am
Hi, I'm not the only ony in a power ranger suit today
Hi, It's sucks to wear full gear today
Hi, I knew I was not insane by wearing full gear today, there's another one
Hi, I'm not alone
Hi, I wonder if he/she knows where's the next stop with air conditioning

My personal favorite
Hi, there goes another smart rider
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 08:21 PM

When I had my little "off" in 2010 I broke an ankle and TRASHED my right shoulder requiring much reconstruction and almost 9 months of twice weekly PT. I also got a strip of road rash on my arm about 1" wide and 5" long.

The road rash was, BY FAR, the most painful part of all that even though by the time all the surgeries had ended the road rash was entirely healed and no scarring at all.

All my gear hadn't arrived yet so I was "taking a quick and easy ride". Gravel, corner...you know the rest.

Now I don't leave the house without full gear even for a quick trip.

The evap cooling vests work pretty well. I also use one of those neck coolers you soak in water and they cool really well at cruising speed. Just re-soak them when you stop.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I do agree that gear will offer some protection if you go down, but experience and riding within your sight distance will go a long way keeping you from going down.

I have read way too many postings on various forums about going down because of gravel, going over a rise to find a vehicle stopped in the road, etc. Those type of scenarios can be totally avoided by slowing down.

I have also observed that the more gear someone wears the more risk they are willing to take which increases their odds of going down.

A false sense of security and riding beyond the road conditions can get you into trouble.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimel View Post
The evap cooling vests work pretty well. I also use one of those neck coolers you soak in water and they cool really well at cruising speed. Just re-soak them when you stop.
I'll add to that....wear a doo rag soaked in cold water under your helmet. The air coming through your helmet vents will flow over it and cool your head. It's the reverse effect of putting a hat on in the winter to stay warm. If your head is cool, your body is cool.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 08:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
I'll add to that....wear a doo rag soaked in cold water under your helmet. The air coming through your helmet vents will flow over it and cool your head. It's the reverse effect of putting a hat on in the winter to stay warm. If your head is cool, your body is cool.
Those cooling vests and wet doo rags work like swamp coolers that are used in the South West. They don't work too great in the very humid deep south. But if you soak the vest and rag in COLD water they do help lower the body temp for a time.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 09:45 AM

I have a pair of TCX Airtech Gore-Tex Boots (not great protection but for really hot weather, they’re a lot better than sneakers). They breathe very well. One time I cleaned them under running water and (after leaving them to dry overnight) went for a ride the next day when it was close to 100°. Even though they had felt dry as I was putting them on, as soon as I started moving I had an `Oh my!’ sensation. It was like they were air conditioned!

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Riding gears are made for personal protection purpose and its your choice to use or not.

I will not ride a bike without full gears-ATGATT.

Weather I get a salute for ATGATT or otherwise, it doesn't bother me as long as I am fully protected for my own personal reasons.

Safe ride.

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 07:31 PM
djg

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

I have also observed that the more gear someone wears the more risk they are willing to take which increases their odds of going down.
That has never been the case for me.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 09:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
That has never been the case for me.
So, you have ridden with and without gear?

Or are you a careful rider regardless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode