Communication device - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Communication device

Anybody using a communication device to communicate between motorcycle, with your cell phone or GPS.

I was looking at the Scala rider Q2 that just came out, but would like to get some input on it if any of you are using it or any other device.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

I've been considering the same thing. My main hold up is, most of these things aren't stereo. From what I understand (I'm no expert, mind you), bluetooth with stereo is a fairly new thing & is just starting to make it into these types of applications. Mono is fine with the phone or GPS, but I'd also like to link up with an MP3 player for tunes...

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

I just ordered the Blueant Interphone. Will let you know how they work out when I get them

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by actar911 View Post
I just ordered the Blueant Interphone. Will let you know how they work out when I get them
Looking forward to it...

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actar911 View Post
Anybody using a communication device to communicate between motorcycle, with your cell phone or GPS.

I was looking at the Scala rider Q2 that just came out, but would like to get some input on it if any of you are using it or any other device.

Thanks
I am using the INTEGRATR IV from J&M. I'm not using my cell phone with it but you can. It also has a place for a GPS so you can here turn by turn. For bike to bike communication, I'm using a Cobra CB radio with the J&M. I use it most to listen to my ipod. They also make a handle bar unit which has radio & CB built in. You can also run an ipod through it. I bought the unit from Sierra Electronics, www.sierra-mc.com
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Finally received the interphone last night. Charging it right now and will be testing it this weekend with my cell phone and my riding buddy who ordered one also to see how communication works between motrocycles.

Will report when done!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Well, here is the review after using it on a few rides --- Absolutely fantastic!!!.

Got it out of the box, charged it for a few hours. After that, managed to pair it up with my phone (palm treo 650) with not problem. My riding buddy got is paired on the first shot with his blackberry.
To pair the 2 headsets together is kind of tricky and took us a few attemps, but once done worked perfectly.
The communication from bike to bike worked really well, you just have to be carefull for cross wind getting under your helmet and into the mike.
The communication with the cell phone also works well and switching from rider comm to phone is just the press of the button on the device hooked to the helmet.

Installation on the helmet was a breeze. Overall, very satisfied so far. Just need to hook it up to the GPS to see how that works.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 01:33 PM

any body have any other sugestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 11:07 PM

I put up a blog entry about installing the Autocom Active-PLUS on my blog. I tested it tonight and it works - haven't taken it out yet but it looks like a high-quality rig and the cables are definitely a step-up from the Motocomm unit I've been using.

On the other hand, the Motocomm works great with our FRS/GMRS radios and it's relatively inexpensive. I bought the Autocom to be able to hear audio from a GPS/iPod.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 03:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to Bryan Baker
Scala System

I've got the Scala FM and the Scala Team Rider systems. I use the FM system when I'm by myself and the Team system when I have a passenger.

As far as the Scala system goes, they do not support stereo input over the bluetooth. ( I haven't found a helmet system that does and even if is does, bluetooth stereo out of a phone is a very new thing too) I was trying to get a system that I could just use my Blackberry as a phone and MP3 player all in the same system.

What I ended up doing is using the Scala FM system and my Ipod with my FM Transmitter. I have my playlist going on my Ipod transmitting FM to my Scala headset all the time and when the phone rings, it cuts off the radio/Ipod. I am pretty happy with it. I can hear the radio at any speed. The phone is a bit tougher to hear at high speeds but it is somewhat a function of the phones volume output as well.

The Scala FM is about $150. The Scala team in about $250. I heard that they have or will have a system that combines it all (bluetooth cell phone, R2R intercom, FM radio) into one unit.

I am real happy with the FM system, not so much with the Intercom system. I like the way the unit mounts on the helmet and the way the controls work are big enough that I can work them with my gloves on. I have only tried the intercom one time and I may just be that the rider helmet I have is open faced and the wind noise cause the system to pop and his even at about 40mph. At those speeds, the driver and rider can communicate pretty easily without a system. I really like that either system is no cables. They are both really easy to set up within a few minutes after charging.

I would definately spend the money on the FM system again but not the Team System. If they have the system out that has it all integrated, I may sell these systems on Ebay and get the combined system.

Happy Trails,
Bryan
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 03:41 PM

I just ordered the ScalaFM monday, they just sent notification of shipment last night - - wow their fast - but cheap 129.49, shipping was free Will probably get it around Wed or Thur next week.
Can't wait.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 11:20 PM

where in the world did you get an FM for 120????? im seein 170's..... Soooo there are so many different wires and mods and connections and terms thrown around with these things im kind of confused. Ive been looking at an autocom but unfortunatly they are bluetooth, and i could kill two birds with one stone with scala being as its illeage to drive and talk with your hands here now, so i figure i could use it in my car too. im thinking an FM transmitter, and Ipod, and the scalas may be my deal.... spendy! HOw do you like your scala?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 05:02 PM

I am very happy with FM Scala rider. I got it shipped to the door for 129.34. From oemcycle.com. Very easy to install, sounds is good. Remember it is not stereo, but comes with two speakers.
I can't wait for stereo blue tooth to come out.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 02:45 PM

My wife and I use the Blueant blue tooth deals. Work about 4 seconds behind at 60, which is like 350 yards I guess. The intercom mode picks up any windnoise so is running the battery down unless you are quiet. We get like 3.5 hours to 4.5 hours if we keep the talking to a minimum and no windnoise (run with visor closed). Also if you adjust the volume up higher it takes more battery.

But they work very well for a single speaker and recharge in less than an hour.

07 K1200GT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Tiger 1050 (on the way)
08 Versys (Sold)

08 Ninja 250r (wife's)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 12:35 PM

My wife and I used vintage HJC-90 chatterbox communicators that were just fine until we hit rain. (Now they don't work at all) Effective range was about 1/2 mile or so. I'd like to replace with something that is waterproof. I don't care about radio/mp3/cellphone/bluetooth compatibility, just decent range to communicate with each other in any weather. We don't buy Chinese. Any suggestions?

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode