Carpal Tunnel, Gloves that Help - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Carpal Tunnel, Gloves that Help

I am having a real issue with my hand going numb while riding, anyone ever tried any of the gloves that are supposed to help this. QWI Gloves, Shock Tech, ect..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 11:18 AM

Sorry to say, but getting an operation on my right hand was the only cure for my carpal tunnel which I suffered for far too long with. It took time, but what a difference, tho' I do have to stick to upright position style bikes like the Versys now. Isn't that a lucky thing.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

I have been in IT for 30 years, I know you are right, I should just bite the bullet and get it done. What was the recover time before you could ride again? Thanks

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 11:32 AM

Sorry, but I can't help you there as my recovery time was complicated by an operation to reconnect the ligament onto my thumb that I tore off dropping (or lifting, I'm not sure) my R1200GS. I only got the carpal op done as they were attacking my hand anyway.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 02:34 PM

Took me six months to get strength back in my right hand. Fortunately, I am right handed and was able to ride some a few months after the operation. If I had to pull a clutch cable, I doubt that would have happened until after the six months.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 03:37 PM

Slightly OT since it's not a glove recommendation:
I sit in front a computer for around 12 hours a day. Something that has helped immensely is a Dyna-Flex ball. You get the gyroscope going faster by rotating the wrist and it generates a slight resistance exercise. It really helps keep the wrists strong and flexible. I picked one up for around $20 at a local sporting goods store.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 10:13 PM

throttle assist

This may be an ignorant suggestion, seeing as how I have no experience with carpal tunnel syndrome, but would a "throttle assist" alleviate the squeezing of the throttle that may cause discomfort. I use one and and find that it dramatically reduced the numbness due to handlebar vibrations.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

For sure the throttle assist, I will be adding that this next week. I did add some pads to my gloves to test the QWI glove theory, it did help, I rode about 20 miles and my hands did not go totally numb. Thanks for the advice, I will be trying everything until I have to go under the knife.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 05:10 AM

I had a problem with carpal tunnel. I was wearing a wrist brace 24/7 for a while and now down to just at night.

Found out during all this that grip puppies really helped my hands. I found the factory grip too small in diameter for my hands. Grip puppies have been my best mod to date as far as helping my body.

http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/mo...P/GPSMALL.html

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 11:15 AM

I also had this problem until my husband read about a guy that started taking glucosamine, chondroitin & MSN. So I tried it and it helped me. This is over the counter and people take it for joint pain. One form is Osteo Bi-Flex, but there are several others out there. I ususally get which ever one is on sale. Just be sure to get the one with the MSN. Might want to ask your doctor first but it sure helped me. Good luck.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 09:24 AM

I have had Carpal Tunnel surgery on both hands. After the surgery my doctor told me to go to a hospital store and get a therapy ball. It is what looks like a racketball sized balloon filled with clay. Was told to squeeze ball and massage inscision as much as possible. Did as told and was back riding my dirt bike in 2 weeks(NO JOKE). If you have carpl tunnel go for the surgury or it is just going to get worse. I sure am glad I had it done. Hands don't give me problems any more on the dirt or street.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 04:14 PM

I got heated grips for the increased diameter of the grips. But I hear that the grip tape used for tennis rackets works as well.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 12:08 AM

+1 on the Grip Puppies. Easily doubled my time before tingles in the hands.

In my case it is tendonitis (tennis elbow) and not carpel tunnel that causes most of my problem but there is a carpel tunnel issue with the right hand...just not enough to where insurance will pay to get it fixed, yet.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadvette View Post
I have had Carpal Tunnel surgery on both hands. After the surgery my doctor told me to go to a hospital store and get a therapy ball. It is what looks like a racketball sized balloon filled with clay. Was told to squeeze ball and massage inscision as much as possible. Did as told and was back riding my dirt bike in 2 weeks(NO JOKE). If you have carpl tunnel go for the surgury or it is just going to get worse. I sure am glad I had it done. Hands don't give me problems any more on the dirt or street.
+1...that's also my experience. Had the surgery done on both hands (about 2 years apart). First surgery was performed by a hand surgeon and second was done by a plastic surgeon. FWIW...the plastic surgeon's incision was about half the size and post op swelling was much less. It took about 6 to 9 months in both cases before the numbness completely went away. After that...no problems.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode