Rain Suit - Recommendations? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rain Suit - Recommendations?

My old, two piece rainsuit is no longer working for me.

With the upright seating and my high mounted Givi shield -my V has quite a bit of "upflow" action going on. This is great in the hot weather, but when it is raining - it channels the rain flow up under my jacket (between the pants and jacket) and also up the front outside of my jacket up to my collar / helmet interface where it soaks the collar area, and then into my shirt.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent one piece rain suit, that works well, that packs ok, and is not overly expensive?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Not sure if you get them over there but my wife has a one piece oxford suit that folds up and you can use it like a bum bag and clip it around the waist or as she does on her cruiser secure it to the sissy bars, it has worked well in very heavy rain. I have a bmw one peice suit which keeps me bone dry, has good high viz for those wet days and is great for wind chill.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 09:33 PM

I have this Tourmaster suit, and it worked very well for me after riding for several hours in the rain over two days. I was totally dry. I also used it to block the wind on a cooler than expected day (over a jacket, liner, pullover and shirt) and it was the added layer I needed to be warm and comfortable for over 600 miles.

I'm quite happy with it.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:16 PM

Believe it or not, Harley has absolutely the best rain suit I have ever owned in 52 years of riding and trying to stay dry. Sorry, I can't remember the model. It is strong but folds up into an ellipse shape about 10x3x6 inches and weights practically nothing. Easy to get on too. Only down side is cost, almost $100.00 but in my opinion was well worth it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 01:17 AM

I used a set of Frogg Toggs for several years until they wore slap out. $20 a set from their website. Several colors to chose from. I just ordered a solid bright yellow set. They compress well in a small sack or just fold and roll. They are great for light rain.

I'm currently using a two piece suite from Nelson-Rigg, similar to their Stormrider. I travel with this suite as it's better for a rain storm.

~Wes

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 09:26 PM

Frogg Toggs is all the rage on ADVrider, but I have not tried them.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 01:12 AM

I use a fieldsheer Storm 3 rain suit. Stayed dry under torrential monsoon rain but one day the pant's sewing seams gave way due to the stress when improperly sat on. Leaked in and got my pants wet, kind of like you pee'ed in the pants type. Went home and took a duct tape with superglue, sealed well and so far has passed the test. Downside, I find the top piece a bit bulky and heavy. I got it decently priced, USD$23, in Malaysia.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 07:32 AM

Don't get this one....

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/testim...2008/6/11/1281

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 08:23 AM

Walmart sporting goods dept. Cannot beat Stearns for quality and price.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 12:24 PM

I use frogg togg rain gear. The model I use is the road toads. They are a bit heavier in the seat of the pants than regular
Frogg toggs and have a bit longer pants and arms for the riding position. Reflective piping and nice pockets.
I have been in a good amount of rain and have stayed dry and comfortable. Purchased them on sale for 65.00
Not a bad deal. I recommend.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 12:27 PM

"not overly expensive" = getting wet unless your just doing a short haul! The old saying goes, "its no such thing as bad weather only bad gear". With years and years of riding under my belt that one statement is so true. To answer your question I used frogg toggs rain gear for a few years before I went to the aerostich. They are fine but you will get wet on longer rides in heavy rain and they will wear out. Aerostich is the perfect answer to one thing does it all but it is a lot of $$$$$.

Last edited by douglasgraham; 09-15-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode