Stormtrooper suit - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Stormtrooper suit

While looking around at jackets and other gear I noticed a few items that come in white.

After seeing the Sirocco jacket by Rev'it and noticing its resemblance to a scout troopers suit (especially when viewed from the rear) I started to piece a few items together.

This is what I have come up with for a Stormtrooperish riding suit. I am tempted to eventually buy all these for some stylish and unique riding gear. And all that white would have to be almost as noticable as a High Viz jacket.

Helmet- Givi X.01 (30th Anniversary edition)
Jacket- Rev'it Sirroco
Pants- Rev'it Dakar
Boots- Alpinestar S-MX2
Gloves- Alpinestar SP-1

White may be hard to keep clean, but at least you will be Ridin' Dirty in STYLE!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg helmet.jpg (68.7 KB, 373 views)
File Type: jpg jacket.jpg (135.8 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg pants.jpg (141.0 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg boots.jpg (41.7 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg gloves.jpg (8.1 KB, 88 views)

"If Caesar was alive today I would be chained to an oar".

This life is a test
It is only a test
Had it been an actual life
You would have received
Further Instructions on
Where to go and what to do

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Saki Cat; 09-28-2008 at 04:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 08:42 AM

I stopped at the jacket. If you do end up with the 'Trooper package, you should consider some dual sport riding out of town for a month or so to scrub 'em in! My RevIt Airforce jacket is well made, very comfortable, and shows the bugs guts nicely. I prefer my gear to be dirty and looking USED, so the light color wasn't an issue. The Airforce had all the right combo of stuff i was looking for. I'd do more RevIt, for sure.

Those boots are seriously ghey, though.

/neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 096.jpg (192.7 KB, 141 views)
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

LOL...yeah, they are pretty gay.

I am actually looking at the Airforce jacket as a possible choice. In black tho. So you really like yours. How long have you had it and is it holding up well?

This life is a test
It is only a test
You would have received
Further Instructions on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 09:50 AM

Saki. It's a great jacket for the price. I think I paid $270ish through some outfit down in texas. Just now put the liner in and it's much warmer. I like the close euro fit. You know, it shows off my girlish figure! Actually, it is cut a tad loose in the belly. It'd do well for a larger fella. It's my first road jacket, so I gots nothing to compare it to. Well, my girl rides in a full AeroStich roadcrafter one piece and that thing is the ****. She's been down a few times and it is WELL tested. I haven't been down in the RevIt. The armor is substantial in the shoulders and elbows. It feels like a secure/safe jacket when on. I've had mine for 3 months or so and it's not even that dirty after 1500 miles and several overnight camping trips and general day to day misuse.

It does tend to 'pick' or fuzz up on some of the mesh areas near the cuffs where the velcro rubs it. No big deal.

What's my next purchase? Saving up for Motoport or Stich is THE way to go, IMO. Easily twice the cost but far more than twice the durability and protection in a crash.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Neil.

I to am planning on a motoport and this jacket my be a holdover until I can afford one. I need better gear NOW.

By the way, I used to live in Greensboro, NC. It must be great to live in Asheville. My favorite road ever is that stretch of the Blue Ridge Parkway that runs south of Asheville to Cherokee. God I miss those mountains. Only lived up there a couple of years but it was great.

This life is a test
It is only a test
You would have received
Further Instructions on

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_asheville View Post
Those boots are seriously ghey, though.

/neil
Watch the gay comments - I don't care how you spell it.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 01:42 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to DieMonkeys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Watch the gay comments - I don't care how you spell it.
Surely he did not mean gay as in a homosexual, maybe he meant gay as in flamboyant.

I've heard my homosexual friends say "that's gay" often, and they never say a word to me when I use it in the same way.

Also, this is great, my friend is in the 501st and has been trying to get me to do the Biker Scout thing from Star Wars for a while. Maybe I'll go this route.

--
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.
-- T.H. Huxley
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieMonkeys View Post
Surely he did not mean gay as in a homosexual, maybe he meant gay as in flamboyant.
Then say what you mean but don't take a sub-group and use it as a descriptive. I'm gay and in no way flamboyant. That's where I take offense to using 'gay' as an adjective. I don't see anything wrong with being flamboyant - I believe in being yourself, it's just not who I am.

I think the StormTrooper suit is a great idea and well put together but I see nothing gay about it. To me, gay is about diversity and tolerance - nothing in that suit mentions or describes that. It's just a great collection of motorcycling apparel. If you get a storm trooper helmet that would really top it off.

Try using ...flamboyant, not me, too much, too colorful, etc.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Question

"GAY" used to be a word that was used in very normal, everyday contexts.

Now it can't be used in any of its OLD meanings because a group has decided for a new meaning...?

"Politically correct" has changed the language....

Oh well....

Ed
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 05:26 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to DieMonkeys
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

"Politically correct" has changed the language....

Oh well....

Ed
That's right, this average European-American Young Adult (average white boy) can't stand being "Politically correct".

I'm a Southern boy who is very politcally incorrect, believes that the South had every right to defend it's homeland during the Civil war and that Lincoln was a worse president than even Dubya!

But all you have to do is ask nicely and I will kindly refrain from using the word "gay" to describe something queer.

--
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.
-- T.H. Huxley
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 06:53 PM

Here's a definition from Wikipedia.

Quote:
In the English language, "gay" is an adjective that in modern usage refers to homosexuality. In earlier and in literary usage, the word means "carefree," "happy," or "bright and showy". The word started to acquire sexual connotations in the late 17th century and finally it began to be used in reference to homosexuality in particular from the early 20th century, from the 1920s at the latest. Today, the words gay man and lesbian are the most recommended words to use to describe people attracted to members of the same sex[1].

On the other hand when used with a derisive attitude (e.g. "that was so gay"), the word gay is pejorative. According to BBC among younger generations in UK, the word 'gay' sometimes is used in a non-sexual pejorative meaning, equivalent to 'rubbish' or 'stupid'.[2].
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay

The definition for pejorative is: Words[1] and phrases are pejorative if they imply disapproval[2] or contempt.

All I'm saying is that this forum is on the public internet and people from all over and from all backgrounds come to talk about one thing - riding the Kawasaki Versys motorcycle and only that should matter. But, when you use such terms as 'gay' and 'jap' you are excluding riders from this forum and creating a hostile environment that is no longer welcoming.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 09:58 PM

easy there bud ! i dont think that any thing was meant by the comment .
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
when you use such terms as 'gay' and 'jap' you are excluding riders from this forum...
I said what I meant. It’s always aggravated me a little when someone inserts dictionary citations in a post to get a point across. Would you really do that if we were sitting there having a cold beer together? I digress. The way I see it, you’re excluding yourself for being so damned sensitive about it. I don’t think anyone, including you, thought I was trying to say those are “masculine attracted to masculine” boots. You’re a gay man in a motorcycle forum. And a young man, too(just a hunch). I’d suggest you try to be a bit more tolerant of the fact that you are different than the majority of guys on here. What if I’m gay? Am I off the hook now?

I’ve never used the term “jap” to describe anything in here, or anywhere else for that matter, so I'm not too keen on you saying I have. A jap bike is a motorcycle. That’s a far cry(for example) from calling someone a stupid jap. I’m here to talk about motorcycles, too, and if I want to use a word that’s commonly used throughout my country to describe a “bright and showy” pair of boots I’m gonna. Ocean, if I’ve personally offended you please accept my sincerest apologies. Truely. Either move on to the next post or add me to your ignore list…I won’t be offended. The term gay is just as vague as…say…the word diverse. Gays are no more diverse than the rest of the world so I’m just going to stick with trying to offend everyone equally....how's that. I’m a pretty likeable guy, actually. Until homosexuals in MY country experience something along the lines of their own private holocaust, internment camps, native American atrocities, or 1950’s segregation…me and my GLBT friends will just have to continue to agree to disagree on what's right or wrong…and we'll do it as friends. I have ALOT of bright and showy close friends here in Asheville. They might just take to a Canuck on a hot bike! Now you're wishing you had my Passion Red one, eh.

Ok Saki…sorry to hijack your thread. Those sure are some stupid looking boots, man! (in the pejorative sense of the word, of course)

I said stupid. Now Hacktracker’s going to be all offended

Last edited by neil_asheville; 09-28-2008 at 11:37 PM.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 06:48 AM

I'm not pointing fingers and not saying who is right or wrong. It's not my place - my only point is to keep it neutral. If you think someone might be offended then don't use it. We all have our own worlds that we revolve in and we can use whatever language, terms and gestures in those spheres that are appropriate. On this forum you are in a whole different sphere of people that is much wider and more inclusive. If the writer of the comment is unsure then try using a deragatory term that someone could say about themselves and see how that feels.

p.s. I am an American and a U.S. Air Force Veteran and middle aged. I live in Canada because I am trully free here.

'nuff said.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Ok, I would like to weigh in on my hijacked stormtrooper thread.

LOL, to put a funny spin on this, I could make a bumper sticker that says "Gays hijacked my Stormtrooper" just to see what kind of responses I get.

Now before anybody gets pissed about the above comment, or what was said before, let me clarify a few things.

The original meaning of the word gay had NOTHING to do with homosexuality. Ocean said that himself. And even quoted Wikipedia.

My background in this is a slew of gay, lesbian and trans-gendered friends. I also have experimentation with homosexuality in my past. I am one of the most open minded people you will EVER meet. I do not judge anyone on race, color or sexual orientation.

But again, gay did not originally mean homosexual. But, due to homosexual men often times acting in an overtly (for the time) GAY manner the name eventually got tagged to a social sub-group as a way to describe them. It was also an easier thing for prudes of the time to say GAY instead of homosexual.

You can also look at the homosexual male culture and see a sub-set that has a trend toward this very thing. Flamboyant dress and attitudes, a general overt levity about the world and things around them. Also, as time progressed, many gay men choose to express themselves through outrageous and loud clothing and lifestyle choices, especially as the cultures they were in became more tolerant.

Let me say that I have been to many gay parties. The best New Years Eve party I ever went to was at the gay bar called Unique in Louisiana. As I have said, I have had and have many gay friends. And I can tell you that some gay men, some...not all, have a knack for outlandish dress and attitudes that I can never even hope to come close to. I have seen things in my friends closets that Im like..."Dude, there is now way you can wear that." and he manages to pull it off with style and flair.

Why am I talking about clothes? Because we are talking about boots.

I would like to point to Elton John, Ru Paul, Freddy Mercury and a host of gay and trans-gendered men I have seen shake it on dance floors and stages. From a point of fashion, there is a sub-set of the male gay community, not the ENTIRE community mind you, that just have an incredible flair for fashion.

It is this subset that has helped turn the word gay from its 'secondary' meaning of homosexuality to a more fashion based word to describe an article of clothing that is in some way flashy or flamboyant. (Which, oddly enough, is close to its original meaning.)

So the word gay has many meanings. It can be used to describe, with no harmful intent, a way of life, a fashion choice, a happy outlook, high spirits, brilliant color and a sexual choice. It is ingrained that way in the American lexicon.

Unfortunately it can also be used to hurt.

Ocean, I really hope that you were not hurt by the comments we made about the boots. There was no harmful intent on my part for sure, and it seems that Neil feels the same way. I apologize as well if I made you feel uncomfortable.

But, having said that, I would hope you understand that as a member of the gay community you have a duty. And that is not to be offended at every possible use of the word gay that you do not agree with, especially if there was no obvious hate terminology used. Homosexuals have a very hard time of being accepted in this country without jumping at every oppurtunity to defend against an attack that is not an attack.

I think a great response to our post would have been simply "And whats wrong with gay boots? " and left it at that. I think the responses you would have generated would have been completely different.

By calling the boots gay I was not attacking you or your lifestyle. But there are those who might see your response as just another excuse as to why gays are horribly different and dont deserve to be treated like everybody else.

So, in the great tradition of Elton Johns flamboyant footwear....those boots are gay. Sorry, they just are. But I GUARANTEE you that I have a gay friend somewhere who could wear them and get away with it. With style.

I really hope I have not offended anyone with this post. Sorry if it is long winded. I just firmly believe that we live in a culture that is getting worse day by day when it comes to personally responsibility and drawing a line where there should not be a line. And getting offended over the least little thing. Ocean, I am not talking about you here but our society in general.

I am sick to death of Political Correctness and a whole culture trying so hard not to step on each others toes.

We are, my friends, living in the fall of western civilization.

Moderators, if there is anything in the post I should not have put in please delete it immediatly. If it needs to be in another forum heading then by all means move it.

Peace.

This life is a test
It is only a test
You would have received
Further Instructions on

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 09:50 AM

Well...SakiCat - thanks for opening up. Actually, I think 'Gays Hijacked my Stormtrooper' is actually very funny. It's nothing deragatory about that. To set the record straight - I'm not upset or angry - I just don't feel the use of '...that's so gay' is appropriate because so many times it's not used in a friendly manner. I don't use the saying and I don't like my personal friends (gay or straight) using it either and I let them know it.

I'll take note of the appropriate way to approach this subject and try to use a friendlier tact in the future. I don't want to be militant or combative in any way shape or form. My apologies to everyone for causing an uproar and hijacking the thread.

Thanks for feedback - I've learned something today. Glad we could have this dialogue.

Last edited by Ocean; 09-29-2008 at 10:01 AM.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Ocean,

Thank you so much for understanding the gist behind my post. I was somewhat expecting a nasty reply but I am so glad you took it in the spirit in which it was meant.

Understanding and tolerance is a rare enough commodity these days. Thank you for gifting me with yours.

This life is a test
It is only a test
You would have received
Further Instructions on

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 10:18 AM

There's no way in hell Saki's getting those boots, now!
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

And by the way, I am not gay now.

'Not that theres anything wrong with that.'

This life is a test
It is only a test
You would have received
Further Instructions on

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

If I could get them signed by Elton I would wear them to next gay pride parade. But I really dont know where that is.

This life is a test
It is only a test
You would have received
Further Instructions on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode