Any one recommend a good set of riding pants. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Any one recommend a good set of riding pants.

I need to invest in a set of riding pants I feel like such a punk sometimes because I don't have decent leg protection. The problem is I'm a little round in the posterior. My mom calls it my italian heritage problem. She also threatens that as I age I'll shrink in height and get rounder. Note to self: more gym time.

All the overpants I've tried on seem to be way tight in the buttocks area, thereby making the front area VERY uncomfortable. I've actually thought about just getting a good thick pair of leather chaps. Not sure how the protection is on those.

While I'm not a huge guy I'm no scrawny lad anymore. So any recommendations?

I tried a set of FirstGear overpants that fit, but sadly the leg area was too long. I'm thinking they are a good investment as they come with a liner for colder weather and my wife is pretty handy with a sewing machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Nevermind I just found out the problem. I'm a brick and mortar shopper. Which means that the local shops aren't stocking the Shorts and Talls.

Was chitchating with a gent at work and he has a pair of the First Gear Kathmandu's that are a basically over pants for a 32x30 and are apparently listed as a short online so duuuuuuh me.

/facepalm
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
……The problem is I'm a little round in the posterior. ……. seem to be way tight in the buttocks area, thereby making the front area VERY uncomfortable. I've actually thought about just getting a good thick pair of leather chaps. ……..So any recommendations?
This method should give you the room your looking for!

Just joking!

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 07-15-2011 at 02:34 PM.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 10:03 AM

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoreride View Post
This method will give you the room your looking for!

Just joking!
Yeah but won't my boys get a lot of UV exposure? I'm thinking some SPF 50 on the front to help with sunburn. although I might slide forward a bit more.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 10:28 AM

Hope he didn't park in the sun... ouch!
ILMFAO

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 10:47 AM

OMG....

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
What ever you end up with I would suggest looking for venting for hot weather comfort, abrasion protection (a lot of cheap textile gear does not have this imo), a breathable waterproof membrane (rubberized and vinyl wind/rain liners collect condensation) and decent fitting armor in the knees and hips.

If your on an unlimited budget and want the best try www.motoport.com otherwise Olympia and Rev'It make decent gear for the money that imo is a step up from the volume brands like JR and Tourmaster. Leather track pants are another option. They'll probably give you the best protection possible and be more comfortable than over pants but you you'll need to carry rain pants for when it rains and you can't wear them over jeans. Despite their convenience over pants have a few downsides - their loose cut means the knee armor will move around more and so may offer less protection and they are not the most comfortable with jeans underneath, especially in hot weather. Knee pucks on pants are useless unless you are considering a track day.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-08-2011 at 11:40 AM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 12:23 PM

I have and recommend Tour Master Flex pants. I wear them year round, and they are available in short, reg, and tall sizes for most waist sizes. A bit pricey (not really though when you compare them to other pants), but like I said I can wear them from 0-100 degrees and they do great. Never crash tested, but I feel they would do a good job. I have had mine for 3 years now, no issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Wow I really like those Tourmaster Flex pants. Question are they over pants or just pants? They look like pants from what I'm reading. Will definitely research them.

Price isn't too bad though looks to be about 170 new. My behind is worth a few extra bucks.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 09:48 PM

Over pants have full length zippers up the side of the legs (and a looser cut) so you can put them on over jeans and boots next to your bike like chaps.

http://www.compacc.com/p/Sliders-Kev...uest-2-0-Pants

+1 on Olympia, i think they make the best textile gear for the money

Last edited by Sprocket; 07-18-2011 at 09:55 PM.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 10:13 PM

+1 on the Motoport

Wabashvalley
IBA#39388
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 04:32 AM

I have ridden 4 years in pants from Rukka http://www.rukka.com They are very solid, comfortable, and waterproof (with goretex). A bit on the high price, but you get what you pay for.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 09:51 AM
djg

I bought the Flex pants for my girlfriend. They are a bit complicated, but very versatile and fairly well made. She likes them baggy, so she wears suspenders to hold them up.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 08:38 PM

+1 on Motoport gear. I love my Motoport jacket.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 12:25 AM

Joe Rocket Ballistic Alter Ego 10.0 Pants

Note: I have heard that Joe Rocket products vary from US and Can. I have not seen the direct comparison myself however.

I owned JR Ballistic 10.0 pants (Can Version) for the past few years. In June I was in a high speed (115km/hr) wreck and my pants held up as I would have hoped.

The only complaint I ever had about the Ballistic 10.0s was they were like wearing a zip-loc bag...Water stayed out and sweat stayed in!!

So I started searching for pants that were just as protective but at the same time had some ventilation... Well, was I in for a surprise!

I looked at the Olympia pants the longest. I purchased their AST jacket (as my previous jacket was destroyed as well) so I was thinking a matching set would be nice.

The issue (in my opinion) with the pants I looked at (at 3 stores) there was too much mesh!
My all textile and no mesh JR pants I destroyed in the wreck went through a lot! I can't imagine how mesh would have held up.

Then I found the Joe Rocket Ballistic Alter Ego 10.0 (Can version) Pants. With the full textile legs and reinforced knees (where the largest damage was to the pants in my wreck) Then there is a zip off removable portion the starts about 2" above the knee in the middle of the thigh up the leg around the back above the butt to the other side and down the other thigh.

I wore these new pants in 2+ hours in 85F weather on Friday and was comfortable.... WITH my Olympia AST Jacket! (the jacket does make a world of difference. That's for another thread)

Good Luck. If you can confirm that the US version is as good or better than the Can version I highly recommend Joe!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20110713-00132.jpg (538.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20110713-00130.jpg (101.0 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20110808-00218.jpg (352.6 KB, 82 views)
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Take your time and keep looking . With US economics down you might get some decent deals.

Ps note: US credit rating down from triple "AAA" to double "AA"

Apologies I wrote this here, but just might work in favour for those who are looking out for cheap deals.

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 08:17 AM

Be sure to checkout Cycleport (Motoport) http://www.motoport.com/_catalog/Motoport_Products

They are pricey, but worth the money. They build to your measurements.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 08:56 AM

Aerostich does customs pants:

http://www.aerostich.com/darien-pants.html
http://www.aerostich.com/ad1-motorcycle-pants.html

Discussion on the subject
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18694

Good luck on your choice.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

I bought a temp pair of overpants to at least give me some protection. 1 layer of denier and 1 layer of jeans plus some padding. For 50$ on clearance I feel a lot safer than I was with just my jeans.Not my first choice but some protection is better than none.

I'm actually looking at the First Gear options as I'd like to upgrade my jacket to a First Gear Kathmandu. I got to test one out recently and I love the fit and the pockets (I'm a pocket freak for jackets).

Also looking to upgrade my gloves as fall is coming and I want a good gauntlet type with armor and warmth.

Going to go try some pants on locally again and this time with the idea that I may have to shed the jeans underneath and just pack them with me. My tank bag from my previous bike works nicely as a mini tailbag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode