Bell helmets???? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bell helmets????

good morning,

i'm looking at these and having a hard time finding them locally...

anyone have these? round or oval? i need oval... pro or con!!!

no flames for me...

pura vida,
FREE TEXAS,
bluebonnet2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 11:07 AM

Garage
The new Bell helmets are suppose to be very good, well make helmets from what I have read.

Mark

Retired Eagle driver, Long Live the Eagle
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 11:21 AM

I tried on of their dirt bike helmets but the sizing is weird. It sqeezed my head so tight I could barely get it past my ears. That was awhile ago so things may have changed since then. HJC helmets seem to fit me really good.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markk9 View Post
The new Bell helmets are suppose to be very good, well make helmets from what I have read.
One can hope. I had a Sprint a few years back and it was terrible.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebonnet2 View Post
good morning,

i'm looking at these and having a hard time finding them locally...

anyone have these? round or oval? i need oval... pro or con!!!

no flames for me...

pura vida,
FREE TEXAS,
bluebonnet2
I have this one and has proven to be comfortable and good bang for the buck

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 02:46 PM

I've got a Vortex Medium. I have a slightly Oval head, my previous helmet was a Shark (forget the model) large. My Shark was a better helmet but this isn't bad.

The helmet is very comfy. It was slightly too small when I bought it but I knew it would wear in and now it's about perfect. The chin strap is a standard D ring but has a handy magnetic piece for securing the strap end. I've worn it for 3-4 hours straight without discomfort.

The visor works decently. I wish it had one more notch between closed and cracked because you get quite a blast at the first notch. The visor on mine also seems to be misshaped because it can be hard to get closed all the way sometimes and even when it is closed there is still a gap between the seal and lens on one side.

The biggest downside I find is the noise level. You cannot ride above 30mph without ear plugs or the wind noise will rapidly leave you with only 4 senses. Riding without hearing protection will do that with any helmet but this one is so noisy I loose most of the engine note above 30mph. With my old Shark I could still hear the motor very well up to 55. The upside of the noise is ventilation is excellent.

All in all these are not bad helmets. Fit and finish is above average and aside from my issues with wind noise and the visor I would definitely purchase another one. I imagine the Star is everything this is but better.

Good luck with your choice,

Matt

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk
2009 Green Versys
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.jakewilson.com/typeDetail...81&webCatId=37

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 08:52 AM
DR_

I have bought 2 size large Bells in the last year, a 2009 Star (on sale for $200) and a 2010 Vortex (on sale for $130). The Star fits my oval head really well but I read that for 2010 they went with a tad less oval shape, similar to the Vortex. The Vortex is a lot of helmet for the money, especially when they are on sale. The Star is a little nicer but not worth anywhere close to full retail. I tried on the Arrow as well but it is more round shaped and priced to close to the Vortex to be competitive.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 06:39 PM

I've had my Bell Vortex for a few thousand miles now. Yep, it's a lot louder than my Shoei but for $99 it's very nice. I thought it was too small at first but after using it a few times it's a perfect fit. You can actually feel air moving with the vents open, which is a lot more than the Shoei RF1000 I've been wearing. My sticker that holds the magnet in the strap peeled off but a little black duct tape fixed it up. I was going to request a replacement because of this but it's not worth the trouble.
I bought a smoked shield with it. When I tried to fit the smoked shield, it wouldn't shut completely and sent it back for a replacement that works perfect.

I would rate it a 7 out of 10
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 09:43 PM

I've got the Bell Star that I bought from motorcyclecloseouts.com for $200. Really excellent, high performance helmet that typically sells for $550. I also use the Bell for my dirt bike. When I bought the Star the anti-fog coating on the visor was peeling off. They replaced the visor immediately no questions asked.

Let he who speaks the truth be given a fine horse -- for he will need it to flee.
--Afghan proverb
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 11:56 AM

I've got two Bell helmets. One is a dirtbike helmet (very cheap but functional) and the other is the Bell Apex model. My sister bought it for me as a present about 3 years ago and I've liked it a lot. I'd call it a medium to lightweight helmet that is probably best for people with oval-shaped heads.

Pros: Good ventilation when moving from vents at forehead and just below face shield. I ride all summer in Texas so I usually just open my shield at stop lights since it's 103F anyways... Face shield rotates smoothly and is easy to change (I have clear and tinted). No fit issues with the newer tinted shield. The helmet does an okay job of damping sounds (not as good as my Nolan open face which I can't hear people talk in). Back in the day when I rode a sport bike with a Two Brothers exhaust, I typically used ear plugs for longer rides, but don't feel the need with the Versys. Overall, I think the helmet is very comfortable. Appreciate the removal and washable liners immensely! Also, Bell sizing seems pretty consistent as I wear the same size in the dirtbike helmet and Bell Apex as well as a Bell helmet my sister has, but I'm not sure which model hers is.

Cons: Had some weird extra pieces that I just took out because they wouldn't stay in anyways...not sure if this is standard it most Bell helmets. There was a cloth piece that looked like it was meant to block bugs/debris from coming up through the underside of the helmet and some weird rubber nose piece that fit in just inside the bottom of the face shield when closed. The snap for the end of the chin strap broke off after a month or so. I just tuck it in now. I've noticed that over time, the face shield seal isn't as good, so I get some air flow coming in even if the shield and vents are fully closed. No issues with fogging unless it's raining or...completely foggy outside. Don't buy one of their helmets that has a velvety/matte finish. My Bell Apex Ripper has that and it has begun to peel off in high bug/rock impact areas and feel sticky as well as attract dirt despite lots of cleaning.

All in all, I think they're solid helmets for decent prices, especially if you buy them online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode