Need to Purchase New Gear - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Need to Purchase New Gear

OK, I need some help, I need to purchase new gear for my new Versys and me, I am new in the touring area. Funds limited so I need to get the best at the best price. (1) Tank bag to fit the Versys (I have hard cases) (2) Boots (3) Summer gear, rain and sun. What works best (4) Winter Gear. A tall order I know, but maybe someone can guide me in the right direction. You guys that ride alot, can save me a few years and maybe keep me dry.lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebyte View Post
Funds limited so I need to get the best at the best price.
Not trying to be a wise arse by saying this. Good gear is not cheap. Cheap gear will let you down. What you are looking for is probably not the best gear but adequate gear for a reasonable price. You will get many opinions on the jackets, gloves, boots, etc. It will get overwhelming. What works for me, may not for you.

As far as apparel, go shopping at as many dealers and bike stores as you can find within a reasonable distance. I would try on a bunch of stuff and see what fits, what works, and what don't. Shoot for a mid price "whatever".

Over the years, I have continued to spend higher dollars for better gear and have not been disappointed. I try on lots of brands and sizes and do not settle for sub-par fitment. You will know when you find something that fits you well and works for you.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, good advice, I understand the "You get what you pay for deals" Rather be comforable and dry than cold and wet trying to get somewhere. I am too old for that, been there done that.. Thanks again

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 08:47 PM

I just bought some new gear myself. I get it shipped this week from Riders Discount. They support the forum, so I wanted to support them back! I was on a pretty tight budget and this is what I went with...

Jacket: Tour Master Sonora in High-Vis Yellow
http://www.ridersdiscount.com/street...men/103171.php

Pants: Tour Master Venture Air
http://www.ridersdiscount.com/street...-men/76197.php

Boots: Alpinestars Roam
http://www.ridersdiscount.com/street...men/115399.php

I'll be using the gear for the first time on my ride to pick up my-soon-to-be Versys from Idaho to bring it back home. I plan on giving a review of the gear then. I should be hitting some pretty varied temps as I cross some desert and mountain passes as well.

The Tour Master stuff is supposedly water proof. Honestly, I hope I don't have to find out! But I imagine it won't be as good as straight rain gear, so I'll be picking up some over-armor rain gear at some point in the future to keep in the trunk.

For what it's worth, the folks at Riders Discount are great to work with. They have competitive pricing, are very knowledgeable, friendly and they've taken care of me well thus far.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 09:08 PM

I like the tourmaster transition 2 jacket. Reasonably priced at about 180 bucks. For summer I have a fieldgear mesh jacket.

For pants I bought motoboss mesh pants. No armor...just some padding and probably not great protection but definitely cooler than jeans. In the winter I just wear pants (snow pants when it's cold enough) and I strap knee/shin armor under my pants.

I have 2 pairs of gloves. A 40 dollar pair that is insulated and water proof. And mesh gloves for the summer.

For boots I have icon accelerant which I absolutely love but I'm sure there are better protecting boots. About 120 bucks.

All my gear was bought locally at cycle shops and they matched internet prices for me. It's always nice to be able to try stuff on before you buy.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 10:02 PM

Got my transition 11 from www.motorcyclesuperstore.com, no tax no shipping. Great customer service. I get 90% of my stuff their, Nolan Helmets, gloves etc. Don't go cheap as others have said, go good value. I got some BMW armored summer pants about 3 years ago, they were around $200, way more than I usually spend, but they have over 20,000 miles on them and they are as good as new.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Cheap gear will let you down.
+1

Wish I had known this myself a month ago....
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 08:54 AM

Most of the online stores have a clearance section. Sometimes you can find really high quality stuff at great prices. I always look there first.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 10:07 AM

good morning,

"FLY" racing has some nice hi-vis jackets....i have the "trekker" and the coolmesh pro..really like them.....runs small...get a bigger size..get a discount from my "local" dealer.....good luck with your ride...

pura vida,
FREE TEXAS,
bluebonnet2
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 11:48 AM

Garage
Like other have said, get quality gear the first time around. I use and like First Gear, I have the mesh gear (jacket, pants, and gloves) for summer, regular textile jacket and pants for spring and fall, and textile one piece suite for the winter. I have heated gloves for the winter, worth every penny if you do any type of commute, mine is 43 miles.

Mark

Retired Eagle driver, Long Live the Eagle
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 05:49 PM

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/ is where I get most of my gear and their customer service is great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 08:46 PM

TourMaster Synergy, heated liner. It comes with a thermostat, 3 year warranty, also comes with the battery cord to supply the jacket. Check Amazon, for pricing, usually $179-$199. Then call around to your local shops and ask them to match prices. If you buy it local and were to have a problem, they will handle the warranty with Helmut House the Tourmaster parent company.
I bought the liner last winter, it is the best winter piece of gear I have ever bought.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebyte View Post
OK, I need some help, I need to purchase new gear for my new Versys and me, I am new in the touring area. Funds limited so I need to get the best at the best price. (1) Tank bag to fit the Versys (I have hard cases) (2) Boots (3) Summer gear, rain and sun. What works best (4) Winter Gear. A tall order I know, but maybe someone can guide me in the right direction. You guys that ride alot, can save me a few years and maybe keep me dry.lol
Since you have hard cases a small tank bag should do

The givi 409 fits on the versys perfectly, stays put and is cheap...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/GIVI-T409-SMALL-M...item4cf724506b

and if you don't mind the logo this is even cheaper.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Givi-BitchinGear-...item4151789822

Either way they are the same bag and hold quite a bit more than they look like they would.

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 12:30 AM

Cheaper gear is often less abrasion resistant and protective due to the use of lighter materials and polyester as well as less form fitting armor. I originally bought cheap gear and ended up upgrading for safety and functionality.

A good four season jacket is the base of my motorcycling wardrobe and takes me from the coldest weather to an upper comfort level of about ~85F. I also have a lighter mesh jacket I just wear in heat and a four season pair of motorcycle pants. No need for rain gear with good textile gear.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 10:58 AM

I got my stuff from motogearoutlet.com. They are a local shop for me so I can try things before I buy. They are also a family owned and operated business I like to support.

For gear I have a tourmaster intake II jacket. It is mesh with a windproof/waterproof and insulated liners that make it a good three season jacket. With some additional layering ( I use bicycle winter gear under my motorcycle gear) I use it in winter as long as the morning temps are above 38F. Hard to beat @ $160. I also have a pair of tracker mesh pants for summer and a pair of tourmaster overpants for the rest of the year. Both under $120. Again properly layered I can ride in winter with it. Riding in the winter in CO is rarely advisable since the temps drop down drmatically after sundown. I do not have any heated gear so I cannot speak about it.

With gear you get what you pay for. However, you also pay for the marketing and exclusivity of a brand. I like tourmaster and flieldsheer. It is not racing quiality stuff. However, I'm not racing with my bike.

For boots I stayed away of dedicated riding boots. They are great on the track but I need boots I can walk with. I got myself a pair of red wings engineer boots. They offer decent protection are super comfortable and can wear them in the office without calling attention. They are not cheap though. The ones are use are model 2990. The cork soles are awesome. They weight next to nothing and have excellent traction on hard surfaces.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
IMO a extra length all season or 4 season jacket is a lot more versatile and fuctional than most of the gear that is on the market. +1 on the AST and Olympia gear.

Interesting comparison of materials used in gear http://www.gbfr.org/saveyourhide.pdf

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
IMO an extra length all season or 4 season jacket is a lot more versatile and functional than most of the gear that is on the market. +1 on the AST and Olympia gear.

According to this study 25% of motorcycle gear was found to fail in a crash. On a related note an interesting comparison of the of the materials used in motorcycle gear although it should be noted it is from a manufacturer who uses Kevlar http://www.gbfr.org/saveyourhide.pdf. IDK about the safety of some of the lighter weight polyester gear from Tourmaster and others. 1000 denier Nylon based Cordura is rated similarly to 1.3mm leather.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-12-2011 at 03:21 PM.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 03:17 PM

I was in a similar situation to you--looking for some good 3-season riding gear without busting the bank. I live in Mass. and ride as long as there isn't snow or ice on the ground. What I ended up deciding on was:

Jacket: FirstGear Kathmandu Jacket (gets pretty hot above 80-85 degrees, but was surprisingly warm all the way down to 20 degrees F).

Pants: Olympia Airglide 3 (mesh pant, but with the waterproof, windproof liner in and a pair of underarmor long underwear underneath I'm plenty warm down to 20 degrees).

Boots: TCX X-Action Waterproof boots (tested in several downpours and not a drop got in my socks!).

Tank Bag: I personally use the GIVI T440 N (http://www.giviusa.com/soft-luggages/Tank-bags/T440N) and it has worked perfectly for my needs.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 03:19 PM

My feeling on this is don't go cheep. I did on my first gear and it barely made it through a season. It was Joe Rocket gear, I would never put that stuff on my back again. It just falls apart. I use Olympia gear. I have a Air2 mesh and just got a Air viper jacket. Both are made from Cordura the Viper has 2000 denier Cordura. The lowest number I have been told on Cordura is 500 count. I also have Olympia mesh pants. I ride all year round in this gear. The Air 2 with the linings in it you stay dry and warm down to 45 deg F. I've ridden in over 3 hours of driving rain and staid perfectly dry. Air jacket is 5 years old now with 40k of riding and is fading from the sun so I figured I is starting to come to time to replace it. As for Boots I use alpinestare Ridge comfy to walk in and also keep your feet dry.

2012 Super Tenere On order

2011 Versys Sold
2006 DL1000 Sold
2006 XR650L Sold
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothercannon View Post
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/ is where I get most of my gear and their customer service is great.
+1 on these guys.

They are having a 48 hour sale right now on the Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket which looks to be a decent multi-season jacket. Mesh underneath for when it gets really hot, a waterproof liner for when things get wet, and an insulated liner for the cold.

I've also had good experience with the following sites:

http://motosport.com
http://revzilla.com
http://kneedraggers.com

A man can never have too many motorcycles, only not enough garage space.
available here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode