Headsets - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Post Headsets

I am solo riding and would like to be able to answer calls on my cell phone,listen to some tunes once and awhile.Looking for something with Bluetooth compatability. What are others using on the open road? Any Suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Scala Rider 2 Hate to ride without it. Clear phone calls no matter what speed i'm traveling. AM/FM and a plug in for MP-3.

arril 014 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 03:42 PM

I have a scala team to talk to my wife while 2 up. Same as the scala rider without the fm radio. Speakers are not hifi or even stereo. I believe you can upgrade but that kills the savings. Have issues answering my android based phone. I believe is an android problem not a scala. Otherwise decent.product for the price. Their customer service is really good. Their cust service reps know what what they are doing and can really help..

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 04:33 PM

I've used a Scala Q2 for the last couple of years. Good product, but my next set will be wired (autocom/starcom/similar) simply because some of my rides outlast the battery in the product (about 12 hours with radio/mp3 player playing). If your rides are under about 12 hours you'd likely be very happy with a Scala (or similar) battery powered system!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 11:38 AM

i just installed a cheap set of "bt multi interphone" communicators on my helmet at my wife's. paid $90 shipped for the pair. search around on ebay and amazon if you want to take a look.

they work great for phone and full duplex communications, but they suck bigtime for music. i can't complain, however, because the price was right and all i really wanted to do was be able to talk to my wife while riding.

"What doesn't kill me postpones the inevitable"
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
09 Versys, Kawi Green
ATGATT!!

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 01:00 PM

Sena smh10, look into it, good stuff

Mike
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 01:07 AM

Just got a set of used Scala G4's. Crazy expensive (even used), but very nice. Now probably the most expensive thing I own that isn't a vehicle.
Still trying to figure them out while riding. Will be helpful in bike to bike communication for upcoming trip from Phoenix to Denver and back.
I didn't realize how great it is to listen to music while riding. For the price though, it seems that the speakers could be of better sound quality for music. For communication the sound is fine.
Have not tried to hook up phone yet.
Since our friends already had them, we figured we should spring for them instead of the Q2 for the times we all ride together (4 bikes).
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 01:17 AM

I listen to my ipod while riding but find wind noise over powers it at highway speeds (60mph) which is when I would most like to listen to something. Any suggestions for speakers?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
I listen to my ipod while riding but find wind noise over powers it at highway speeds (60mph) which is when I would most like to listen to something. Any suggestions for speakers?
Iíd suggest a quieter windscreen and/or helmet before trying to overcome the wind noise with louder headphones...

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 07:30 AM

We use the Sena system. But WebBikeWorld has a lot of reviews. I think Scala has a new set that's reviewed.

Special bike: 1968 Norton P11A
Previous bike: 2009 Versys in lovely blue
Bike for smiles: 2009 R1200R
Bike for miles: 2009 R1200GS
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 07:06 PM

G4

Scala G4: good speakers IF you position them correctly touching your ears, directly adjacent to ear canal. I wear earplugs underneath them, lets me turn up the volume to get more bass without (hopefully!) too much damaging volume overall. I have found the functions of the various buttons to be somewhat erratic, sometimes I just have to turn them off then back on to "reset" them, but they are INDISPENSABLE
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 04:54 PM

For high quality sound I prefer my cage boston acoustics setup. I can make the mirrors in the car next to me vibrate.

When riding, there's no better music that the wind and the sound of the Versys parallel twin
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
When riding, there's no better music that the wind and the sound of the Versys parallel twin
+1.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 06:35 PM

Is it just me or does chatting on the phone while riding sound even the least bit risky?
My point being is that we all know how distracted cagers become when they are on the phone at 70 mph ( with four corners propping there selfish worthless asses up).
Tunes is one thing being that simply listening is not really interactive but.....
.....Just be careful out there, Please.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 07:03 PM

I'm with you on the calling while riding.

I have my scala synch to my phone. However, I only use it after I stop. It's nice to be able to return a quick call without having to take your helmet off.

However, the scenario in my head goes like this. I take a fall and I’m down on the side of the road with a broken something. It will be a lifesaver to be able to pull the phone from my jacket and call 911 right away or if your phone is truly compatible (droid phones are not) to just push the bottom on the headset and call.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 08:40 AM

One of my greatest peeves is people who drive while staring at their phones! Iíve been clipped twice (on my bike) by nitwits who were very probably on the phone at the time... and hardly a day goes by that I donít see some a**hole drifting onto the wrong side of the road while using one...

However, the primary problem as I see it, isnít that theyíre speaking on the phone, itís that theyíre staring at it.

I donít see any difference between holding a phone conversation (via a hands-free speakerphone or headset) and a conversation with a passenger in the vehicle, in fact, if anything, the former should be safer because it eliminates the natural tendency to look at the passenger...

And IMO, anyone who isnít capable of safely holding a conversation while driving, shouldnít be driving in the first place ó because if theyíre so incompetent that a mere conversation will have a detrimental effect on their driving, then theyíre certainly not capable of contending with the countless other unavoidable & more serious distractions that one routinely encounters...

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 12:44 PM

A telephone conversation requires a higher level of attention than an in person conversation since on the phone you do not have the visual and other non verbal qeues. Talking on the phone is like talking to a passenger in a bus that is sitting two rows behind you with one of your ears plugged.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
A telephone conversation requires a higher level of attention than an in person conversation since on the phone you do not have the visual and other non verbal qeues. ...
I think thatís probably technically true, though the difference would be marginal... but what would have a greater detrimental impact on oneís driving:

The increase in attention given during a phone conversation because one canít see the other person ó or actually looking at the other person in the passenger and/or back seat?

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 12:30 PM

As far as I recall. The study did not measure the effect looking at the other person. The study concentrated on the issue of looking at something seeing it and recognizing what you are seeing as a threat. Same reason why motorcyclists and bicycle riders need to assume they are invisible. Drivers see then but do not recognize them as a threat therefore they go unnoticed.

A telephone conversion increases your reaction time significantly. The significance might seem marginal until you account for the speed that a vehicle moves. A car moving @35 MPH will travel 51 feet or about four car lenghts in one second.

Remember it when you are stopped at on intersection in the suburbs and see the minivan with the driver on the phone coming at you four cars away. He/She can run you over if he/she gets distracted for just one second.

There should be road signs that say:

"TEXTING WHILE DRIVING WILL SEND YOU TO JAIL"
"courtesy of your local sheriff department"

"MOTORCYCLISTS HAVE RIGHTS"
"that are protected by the second amendment"

"HANG UP AND DRIVE"
"sponsored by your local biker gang"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode