tall textile jacket in other than "don't see toy black" - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

tall textile jacket in other than "don't see toy black"

just getting into this and have been looking long and hard for a textile jacket like the joe rocket ballistic or tour master transition II and a mesh one for next summer in a tall.... but i don't want "don't see me black". don't give a rip about looking cool i just want to be seen and not hit.

why is that the only tall jackets seem to be black only. would love the tour master transition II in hi-vis yellow or straight yellow... in tall, please!

is there any other sources that might fill my needs? oh yeah in XXL too.

is my only other choice to get a black then get a bright vest to wear over it???

are the jacket companies trying to get rid of the big guys to save on fabric on future sales? what gives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 08:48 AM

Hi Gary

First of all, I would recommend checking out this site...

Motoport.com

I am a huge fan of Motoports products and they make their jackets in cordura, stretch kevlar and mesh kevlar. They are, importantly for you, made to fit whatever size you need. There is sometimes a wait for custom work but you absolutely cant go wrong with this stuff. I will take it over leather anyday.

I wont go on to much about Motoport here. But there is a post I started with some more info and links to reviews. Check it out.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...read.php?t=516

I also have a link I found for the Tourmaster Jacket you were looking for. I appears to be available in many colors and several tall sizes, hi-viz included.

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/prod...ctid=240&cat=3

The only thing I see that could be a problem, and this is just my opinion, is that its main shell is 600 denier carbolex and 600 denier polyester. Here is a link to the fieldsheer site that list some of the properties of those materials and shows some testing they did on it. You will see that the 600d Carbolex came in at only 1500 cycles.

http://www.fieldsheer.com/2008site/ff/Material.html

From a protective standpoint, this is not incredibly good coverage. After wearing motoport for years and currently in the market for a new jacket since growing out of mine, I am amazed at what manufactures are making their "protective" gear out of. All of that CE approved armor isnt going to do any good if you jacket instantly goes 'POOF!' when it hits the ground with you in it and evaporates.

If you are looking for a 3/4 length jacket for the winter and a mesh for the summer that you can get in your size and in hi-viz, then go here...

http://motoport.com/Product.asp?Clv=102302

This one jacket will do everything you need. Mesh for the summer, put the liner in and your good for the winter.

And remember, Hi-Viz is only half the battle. Make sure your wearing something that will save your but when it fails and some blind moron doesnt see you anyway. Oh, keep in mind, a bag of cement in the road doesnt care what color jacket you have on.

Hope this helps.

"If Caesar was alive today I would be chained to an oar".

This life is a test
It is only a test
Had it been an actual life
You would have received
Further Instructions on
Where to go and what to do

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 08:54 PM

I have a first gear kilimanjaro jacket from motorcycle superstore. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ro-Jacket.aspx . Real nice jacket very well made. Was a little hot during 90 degree days but I learned to only zip half way and then button it up. This lets in plenty of wind. I have been in down pours and stayed dry. I wore it today with the lining in it at forty degrees to work and it was real nice. I got mine in tall and it is plenty long in the arms and the length. Mine is a 2008 model red and I think they look nicer than the 09's but it is a really well made and durable jacket. They do have the bright neon yellow in the 09 model. Also olympia makes and all around jacket but not sure if they do the tall thing.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

thank you very much...

these two post are very helpful and i am sure i will placing an order now over the weekend.

again thanks
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 07:06 PM

Black seems to be the hot color. Like you I want to be seen.

I have two textile jackets. One is a silver and black trimmed mesh Power Trip that I bought on clear out for $100.00 at a local dealer. The other is a rain coat yellow and black trimmed Joe Rocket Balistic jacket that I bought at a bike show for $89.00.

The colorful gear always seems to be on clear out at the bike shows. Hold off until the shows hit town. In the GTA they start in a couple months.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 09:48 PM

I'm all for color. But both my riding jackets are black. Go figure. Pretty much every jacket in the local shops is either black, or the bike makers primary color and covered with squidly logos and patches.

Even though they're black, both have a decent number of reflective striping and patches on them. My first is a Kilimanjaro, I've got the reflective strip pulled out on the back at all times, the second is a Joe Rocket leather jacket, it's got 3M piping all around it. It looks black but at night it's reflective. PS My Kilimanjaro is no longer water proof. I used it offroad a lot, thus it wound up in the washer a few times. I got caught way out in the mountains of PA w/o a clue where I was in a thunder storm, about froze my ass off! I'm going to try and wash it with some waterproofing chemical ASAP.

I'd like to pick up some 3M sticker reflectors and put them on the saddle bags.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 10:41 PM

I think I'm going to Kathmandu... Actually I know nothing about this jacket but that the weekly New Enough ad pitched it.

I'm calm like a bomb!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 07:50 AM

You to can be a stormtrooper

Here is another idea.

http://revitusa.com/

Been looking at this brand recently (the Airforce mesh jacket) online and at a local bike shop as a possible cheaper substitute to getting a Motoport right now. But it will still be tons better then what I am currently using...which is some thread loosely holding some foam armor together that does a pretty good impersonation of a mesh jacket.

Anyway, webbikeworld did a review on the Sirocco and Cayenne. Check out this small video they have of the jackets.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/rev-it/cayenne-pro/

Around 45 seconds into the video the guy wearing the Sirocco turns around and I swear...it looks like the armor that the Scout Troopers wore in Return of the Jedi. You know, they guys who piloted the Speeder Bikes.

I have to get one of these for that reason alone.

On a different note, I did try on the Cayenne at MotoLiberty here in Dallas and I can say its a pretty impressive jacket. I am worried about the protection it offers but then I feel that way about anything that isnt kevlar. Im just weird like that.

Really nice jackets tho.

This life is a test
It is only a test
You would have received
Further Instructions on

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

hey darth lefty,

check that jacket hear. have it tall and cheaper. so is first gear a well thought of brand? have read mix reviews to the quality of their product, but i like the look and price. think it might be a good choice for me at this point. while the motoport would be great, that is a big price when i factor getting the bike, jacket, pants, gloves, tag, taxes, insurance... you understand i bet.

oh i did get a really good deal i think on a helmet.

http://store.dsrpowersports.com/index.html

i got a hjc made kawasaki ninja zx full face for 99$ in xxl. when i ordered i thought it would be the classic "too good to be true" but well it came and i really like the thing and love i got what everywhere else sells for around 250$ for less than half price.

loving this group. thanks for all the help guys
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

sorry left off that over jacket link...

http://motogearoutlet.com/jacket.htm

anyone order from these guys?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saki Cat View Post
Around 45 seconds into the video the guy wearing the Sirocco turns around and I swear...it looks like the armor that the Scout Troopers wore in Return of the Jedi. You know, they guys who piloted the Speeder Bikes.

I have to get one of these for that reason alone.
You wouldn't want their helmets, though!

I'm calm like a bomb!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 09:58 AM

You mean the Scout Troopers helmets? No lie...I never understood how they went several hundred miles an hour with blinders on.

This life is a test
It is only a test
You would have received
Further Instructions on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode