Face shields in the rain - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Face shields in the rain

Does anybody use any product on their shield for the rain that works good? On the highway the wind clears my shield, but below 45 or so there is not enough wind, and the rain builds up.

I used to use rain-x on my car windshield and loved it. The windshield would stay clear without the wipers. I just dont know how rain-x responds with plastic, and dont feel like potentially destroying a shield finding out.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I would ask your helmet maker if rain-x is cool. I just periodically wipe the shield with my glove if turning my head sideways does not clear the shield.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 03:13 PM

I have a half-assed response: it is second-hand experience.
I have not tried it myself, but a bunch of riders from New England (where it can "sometimes" rain ) use spray-on car wax. It makes the water bead up like Rain-X does on a glass car windshield.

Not enough yet? OK, more second-hand info:
Rain-X on a face shield will make the shield somewhat opaque over time. I also don't want to ruin my face shield trying to prove this wrong.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I use Rain-X on my Scorpion Modular not just the shield but the inner shield as well as the whole helmet and my Givi Windscreen. Works well and no damage to any of them.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 04:03 PM

I've always used Meguiars Kwik Wax on my helmet and shield- have had no problems in a year.

'09 Greener
Ride on. Ride hard. Respect the bike.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 04:08 PM

Lemon Pledge ,on the Shield, Helmet and Bike Works great.Ride safe.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 04:27 PM

Got to love dual sport style helmets as their shields are so sharply angled the rain doesn't build up on them... but I do use a spray on car wax on my old bell arrow and it's shield

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 10:39 PM

I've used rain-x but found the water beading it creates does not really make much difference when it comes to keeping it clear. Has anyone tried a wiper blade on their glove? Does this work? I'm a BIG fan of anti fog spray on the inside of the visor.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 10:58 PM

The wiper blade on the glove . . .works just like a windshield wiper on a car . . .you have to constantly be moving it. Novel idea, but not practical. Works great on bug guts too.

IBA # 49372
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 12:29 AM

Rain-X works great. I put it on the shield, windscreen, headlight and mirrors. The squeegees on the gloves are pretty much worthless. Even if Rain-X damages the shield over time it's well worth the increased safety the visibility gives you.

Let he who speaks the truth be given a fine horse -- for he will need it to flee.
--Afghan proverb
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 04:28 AM

Garage
I use a car wax, people say it will cause a shield to yellow. I have never had that happen, I do replace my shields with new one every spring. I hate having to look around a bunch of scratches.

Mark

Retired Eagle driver, Long Live the Eagle
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 12:29 AM

I use some kind of Silicone sealant meant to enhanced wax painted surfaces for cars. It makes the surface slippery and repels water. Had them sprayed and wiped over the windshield and helmet shield....head lamps too.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 09:48 AM

just my two cents.....we all know that products like good ole Windex should never be used on windscreens or helmet face shields (Ammonia BAD for plastics!) as the chemicals in it could have a adverse reaction with the various plastics used....causing it to lose it's protective qualities so to speak. the shield will react to the chems and its properties will be modified to a point where it may shatter instead of absorbing high velocity impacts.

Sure....the many different products mentioned may be doing the job of keeping your shields clear but at what cost.........
I would recommend checking with your helmet manufacturer before applying anything to your shields ( other than a mild soap and water)...the answers only an e-mail away after-all.
Rain-x is NOT made for plastics...glass only BUT...that being said, check this out http://www.fogtech.com/ ( they make "Raincoat" engineered for Poly-carbonates.
But I think it would still be worth a e-mail to your helmet manufacturers tech support.
Just sayin'.....

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 06-20-2011 at 11:00 AM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bultaco View Post
Lemon Pledge ,on the Shield, Helmet and Bike Works great.Ride safe.
+1

Montani Semper Liberi
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 06:15 AM

I used to find that Rain-X didn't do much except make the screen fog up unless there was a fair bit of wind speed.

These days I use Vuplex, which is probably pretty much like Plexus and any other specialty cleaner. It works a lot better in shedding rain than I've found in the past.

You can help make Clem a household name

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode