Cortech Sport Tail Bag - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cortech Sport Tail Bag

Just received this after 3+ weeks, due to rotating strikes by Canada Post workers, from Riders Discount. This is well made and fits the rear passenger seat perfectly and the built in attachment system makes it easy to mount to the bike. It also has separate connectors that allow it to be connected directly to the Cortech saddle bags if you have them.

About the only downside I've found to this is getting on the bike requires extra flexibility. It requires you to be able to kick up your right leg to the height of your nose, while balanced on your left leg, to mount the bike. This is so your right leg will clear the bag mounted on the higher passenger seat on an already tall bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I also have that bag and like it alot. Keep an eye on the hooks i had one come off the bungee cord on the trip to california. Works great if you have a rack on the bike also. Also the rain cover holds on the bags well have had mine on at up to 95mph and no problems

IMG_0752 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 06-15-2011 at 08:38 PM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 08:41 PM

Have one on my 2011 and it is working out great! Just went on a 970 mile trip this past weekend and had no problems with it at all. As mentioned the rain cover fits well also.

Fits much more stuff than I initially thought and I haven't even expanded the sides of it yet. Pretty sure I will be looking to get the matching saddlebags soon.

Last edited by VigilanteTrail; 06-15-2011 at 09:10 PM.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 08:44 PM

I've got this bag also. Works great for day trips . I have mine strapped on the passenger seat which keeps the bike looking a little sporty. But yes it does require a good flexible stretch to get on especially since I'm short legged.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 09:43 PM

I have one as well as matching tank bag and saddlebags...I love them all....I have learned to mount the bike like getting on a horse while the tail bag is on....Left foot goes on the peg first,then standing on the left peg,I swing my right leg over the bag....Dismount is the same except in reverse...
Hoodlum
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 08:08 AM

I have had this bag for ~4 years now, and it's hanging in there albeit sun faded to some color short of black. Occasionally the zipper jumps a tooth or two but does go back together after a little wrangling. I use the hoodlum mount/dismount method too, works fine and is second nature now. I find myself climbing on this way even when the bag is off.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 08:14 AM

I have the Tail & Saddlebag combo and I really like them too. The rain covers have worked pretty well but I just recently had a little water get into the Saddlebags. In fairness, it was 20 miles through about the worst storm I’ve ever ridden in (thunder, lightning, torrential rain, well flooded roads, 40-50 MPH wind gusts).

I use the Tail-Bag bungee cords and the straps which is very secure. I wouldn’t count on just the Tail-Bag’s bungees, especially with anything of substantial weight and/or value in it.

At 5’9” x 30” I can swing my leg cleanly over it by using the `kick your ass with your heel while swinging knee over the seat’ method.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Versys-024.JPG (806.2 KB, 802 views)

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 06:00 PM

Here is a shot of mine with the tailbag/saddlebag combo. I have only had these on for a couple weeks but they fit great and look even better(imho). I also purchased the tank bag and am looking forward to loading these up and hitting the road!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110616_184909.jpg (680.2 KB, 921 views)

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:12 PM

I also love the tail bag and have been wondering how others do the gymnastics to get on the bike. Do you need any kind of supports on the sides if you add the saddle bags?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfd1719 View Post
Here is a shot of mine with the tailbag/saddlebag combo. I have only had these on for a couple weeks but they fit great and look even better(imho). I also purchased the tank bag and am looking forward to loading these up and hitting the road!
Looks good. What model Cortech tank bag did you get?
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

I had a magnetic 14L Cortech bag I sold as it did not fit the V very well. It would fly off at speed due to wind pressure. This was my reason for getting the tail bag.

Cortech Dryver (ring mount) tank bag looks interesting. If I had the $$ I would get the City bag and SWMotech mounting ring from Twisted Throttle but it is $200 with mounting hardware. The Cortech tail bag was only $72 shipped.

Last edited by Sprocket; 06-16-2011 at 10:32 PM.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 05:27 AM

How's the sidebags situation? Is there a need for sidebag racks or anything?

'09 Greener
Ride on. Ride hard. Respect the bike.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 09:18 AM

This has good reviews on the web. Also, with the sidebags this would fit the needs of most riders. Campers could still strap a tent along with these 3 soft bags with little or no interference. Beer in the left bag, beer in the right bag, chocolate bars, marshmallows, and graham crackers in the tail bag, and One Great Weekend!!!
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 07:43 AM

10L strap on tank bag. The magnetic ones don't work well on the v. This fits well, does not move around and holds a good amount of gear. Just unsnap one clip flip it up and fuel the bike. Also protects the tank from belts and zippers from your clothing. Love it!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110604_170954.jpg (582.7 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110604_171021.jpg (655.7 KB, 250 views)

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
About the only downside I've found to this is getting on the bike requires extra flexibility. It requires you to be able to kick up your right leg to the height of your nose, while balanced on your left leg, to mount the bike. This is so your right leg will clear the bag mounted on the higher passenger seat on an already tall bike.
Sprocket,

Although you may not qualify in years, (no specific number is required but 66 comes to mind in my case) perhaps you should adopt the "Texas old guy" method of mounting your V. It's not original I suspect, but it works well - so far, especially with short legs.

Stand at the left side of the bike facing the saddle. Lift the right leg as if you're seated and are going to cross it over the left leg. Grab the cuff of the pants, then hoist mightily and fling the right leg over the saddle. Glance furtively around to see if anyone has noticed the maneuver, then slid onto the saddle quietly.

You're now ready to roll and you haven't strained the right leg trying to hoist it over all that luggage hanging on the back end, or lost your balance and toppled over unceremoniously. How would I know??

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 09:15 PM

The saddlebags are mounted without any extra supports. They fit the bike well and the red reflectors on the sides of the bike act as little supports for the bags in the middle and the turn signals support the rear without bending or flexing. Also adding the tail bag and usung the fastex buckles sew in on the corners supports and firm up the whole system. The whole setup works well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110604_171050.jpg (669.5 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110604_171106.jpg (768.6 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110616_184854.jpg (727.9 KB, 267 views)

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

I've solved the leg clearance issue by strapping the tail bag to my givi trunk mounting bracket instead of the passenger seat, at least for short trips where I don't have my Givi top box mounted.

BTW - found this makes a great gym bag I can haul off the bike and take into the gym. Guess I need to start doing more leg stretches.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfd1719 View Post
The saddlebags are mounted without any extra supports. They fit the bike well and the red reflectors on the sides of the bike act as little supports for the bags in the middle and the turn signals support the rear without bending or flexing. Also adding the tail bag and usung the fastex buckles sew in on the corners supports and firm up the whole system. The whole setup works well.
Thanks for the photos, I like this setup and my bike also is green so it would look just like yours.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 04:14 PM

2 green versys in Ohio that look alike! I don't know, may start a trend. Last time I was trendy I wore parachute pants!!!!!!!

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 01:20 PM

I stopped using my Cortech Tail Bag for the very reason mentioned. It was so hard to get my 60 year old leg over the bag either on or off. Off was much worse though. It's too bad, because I like the bags usefulness and looks. It's just sitting in my garage collecting dust. I was thinking of getting a set of the Nelson Rigg CL-950's instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode