Winter/Rain Gear - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to versysred Send a message via Yahoo to versysred
Winter/Rain Gear

Well the only jacket I own is a olympia summer riding jacket with a rain liner that can be installed on the inside. But now it is going to be colder out I need something to keep my worm on my long ride to work and in case it rains I am on a tight budget so looking for something on the cheap side. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 04:51 PM

Depends on your definition of cheap I suppose. My heated gear is worth every penny.

Gloves were about US$125.00, plus thermostat (heat-troller) was around US$50.00 I think. I also have a jacket, had all three for over 10 years so they have paid for them selves a hundred times over. Toasty warm on any day, even if your stuff isn't waterproof you'll be warm and wet.

Machog
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 05:05 PM

I am partial to the joe rocket stuff. I have several of their gloves, and they work well, and are a comfy fit for my hands. I also have one of their jackets. It has the zip out liner, and is warm, and after 3 full wet winters, still dry. Their stuff is also a relative bargain.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 06:15 PM

Vred,
Depending on where you are, you might get away with just layering under your current jacket. Layers are the key. Real cold takes a bit more. I think the best investment is an elec vest. Keeps your core warm and by extension your fingers and toes!! Techsox are the best thing for your feet in both hot and cold.

Bill
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Versys
F650GSD
FLSTSCI
XR650L
Tri Scrambler
XR50
SRX600
Zuma 125
T100R
Aero 50
EZ90
PA50
States by MC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 08:17 PM

If you want warm gear, shop in the snowmobile section. I use a pair of snowmobile gauntlet style gloves when it gets cold - Two finger split mits that come half way to my elbow. Got them in a spring sale for $12.00.

I ride until it gets below 0 degrees C. No need for heated grips....
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

The gloves are not my worry "yet" but for now just worried on keeping my core and lower body warm than will get the gloves last.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 09:30 PM

I have a Tour Master jacket and pants. I swear by them, good protection with padded areas in the rare case you even end up off your bike. Both the pants and jacket have removable liners for when it gets really cold. I have rode in weather in the 20's and was not cold at all, these items have excellent weather protection and of course are waterproof as well, have ridden in the rain many times and never got wet inside of the Jacket or Pants. I got both of them for around $225, you can't skimp on something as important as riding gear if you want to be comfortable but I feel this is a pretty cheap price for what you get. Look around on Ebay.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 09:30 PM

My only jacket is a mesh Fieldsheer and I used it all last winter down to about 25 F. I put a FroggsTogg over it, trapping the warm air in the mesh. I used that down to the mid 40's. When it got colder I put a fleece top on, again, over the mesh. Worked fine for me.

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 02:41 PM

Where are you? I live in McKinney, North of Dallas, Texas. Walked into the local Honda dealership Friday and they had the full boat Olympia jacket that goes below the waist, had armor, a quilted liner, waterproof, etc...it was last years model. They are blowing them out for $119. It's like a $280 jacket! I bought one.

Jeff
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Man that is SWEET I live in Bridgeton NJ. I might have to send you the money to get one for me that is a steal.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 05:02 PM

When the bike shows start up in the winter, you can get some sweet deals. i picked up a great JR jacket with full armour and liner last Jan. for $100.00 CDN.

The JR stuff is great. Mine runs the temp range with liner down to 32 F. With the liner out and vents open it is still comfy to 72 -72 degrees F.

Bike shows for gear ++++.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

MOTOBOSS rain suit (2 piece) from "Cycle Gear" for about $35.
Ed
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 05:39 PM

I have a $40 snowmobile suit complete with reflective stripes. I wear the armour over that, with wool socks and chemical handwarmers in the back of my gauntlet gloves. Not too bad, and pretty cheap.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 02:48 PM

Hi versysred,

I just purchased a Fieldsheer Cyclone 1pc suit at www.imotorcycelstore.com and think this is what you might be looking for. I payed US$ 289.95 ($100 less then MSRP) + $10 for shipping. The suit can be worn with you regular cloth underneath and has a two piece liner for the colder temperatures. It comes fully armored with CE protection and is waterproof. The Cyclone suit for this year has a different cut as last years Highland II. Mainly, I think they changed the zipper arrangement on it. I only had it out once so far at around 50 degree F and it it is very nice and toasty inside with just a light shirt and jeans underneath. At the price I paid, I believe it can't be beat and will give the Aerostich a run for it's money.

Cheers

Chris
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 08:31 AM

If you're shopping for rain gear at a motorcycle store, you're at the wrong store. I use a mesh Alpinestars jacket but it's what I put underneath that gives me warmth. The zip-in liner is only nylon and no better than a cheap windbreaker you get at Walmart.

I do a lot of backpacking and the trick is layers. Start with a polyester T-shirt (you don't need the expensive brands like Under Armor; Mountain Equipment Co-op in Canada sells T's in recycled polyester for about twelve bucks). Never use cotton. Cotton absorbs moisture and is guaranteed to keep you cold.

For the next layer you can use wool. I buy used wool sweaters at a place like Value Village. I have bought second hand pure Merino wool sweaters for six bucks that look so good I could wear them out to dinner. Fleece is okay but it can get bulky under the riding jacket. One of my favorite pieces of clothing, however, is a Patagonia down sweater (I think North Face makes one as well). This thing is incredibly thin and lightweight but I can't believe how warm it is. And it scrunches down into its own pouch to about the size of a grapefruit.

Over that I can put on a Gore Tex jacket. Mine is a single layer Arcteryx jacket that I bought off the Mountain Equipment Co-op used gear swap (it's a $600.00 jacket but I got it for half price).

All this stuff is thin enough that it still fits under the Alpinestars jacket and I don't feel like the Michelin Man.

The good thing about layers is you can peel them off if you get too hot. With a one piece rain or snow suit you can get drenched in your own sweat if you overheat. If you do buy a one piece suit, cover yourself in a layer of polyester first so the moisture gets drawn away from your body.

You can wear polyester or polyester blend long johns underneath your riding pants. And, on your feet, you can wear a thin polyester liner sock with a good quality Merino hiking sock. You can buy combination socks with a built in poly liner but I still prefer the two sock system.

Hiking gear can be expensive but you get what you pay for. Guys like Joe Rocket don't have a clue about technical clothing beyond abrasion resistance.

Last edited by charly; 11-15-2008 at 09:12 AM.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 09:06 AM

+1 to what Charly said.

Right now I am only doing SOTGATT. I'm religious about wearing boots, gloves and armored jacket, but I don't have protective pants so I'm not protecting my legs. I have tempted fate too long, so my next purchase will be quality gear to protect my whole body.

I am thinking about getting the Olympia Stealth mesh 1-piece for protection and layering underneath. I want to keep cost down though, so I need one piece of protective gear that will serve me all year if possible. I think the Stealth will do the trick as long as use an approach like Charly suggests to get my warmth elsewhere. During the summer I'll wear the Stealth with normal clothes under.

From a rain protection standpoint, I'm thinking about using a 1-piece rainsuit over the Stealth.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 09:28 AM

The pants are a problem. I have the Alpinestars pants (I think they're called Dry-Star) that attach to the jacket but I can overheat in those in a minute. Around town I wear padded jeans but they don't really have great protection against road rash.

I'd like to wear my normal Gore Tex pants riding but obviously they don't have any armor. I saw on a website once that somebody makes something that looks like panty hose with crash pads at the knees and the butt. Yuck!!

By the way, I also replaced a beloved KLR with a Versys. I can't complain, though, because I sold the KLR for more than I paid for it. My kid says that motorcycles are a better investment than the stock market. He's probably right.

Last edited by charly; 11-15-2008 at 09:35 AM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 10:00 AM

In an emergency, never underestimate the value of a plastic garbage bag. Gore-Tex is nylon with a layer over top and, if it gets pounded with enough rain, it will leak. Poke holes in the garbage bag for your head and arms and you're good to go.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 12:27 AM

I purchased an Olympia jacket and pants back in the begging of October This morning I road home from work. I made it without dyeing. It was 14 degrees farenheit. It takes me 20 minutes to get home. Not too bad. I can say that I think the Olympia gear is great. I bought a pair of BMW gloves. There pro winter twos or something like that and with the heated grips did just fine. I think I could hae gone on for another 20 minutes or so before really starting to feel the cold.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 09:53 AM

Thumbs up

Three cold weather gear items I've recently procured:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...eice-Suit.aspx

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/t...cle_pants.html

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydire...tile%20Jackets

All at outstanding prices! I got an additional 10% off the FirstGear thermo-suit from Motorcycle Superstore as well. I've used the Teknic pants & jacket and find them priceless in the cold weather. I've yet to try the thermo-suit, but from the reviews I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Last edited by MackDaddy; 11-16-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode