A good shop to buy Outerwear in New England/ New York? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

A good shop to buy Outerwear in New England/ New York?

Hey guys/gals,

As the title suggests I'm riding from Portland ME to New York, NY and am looking for feedback from anyone who can tell me where I may find good riding gear on that run.

Specifically, I'm looking for heated jackets and pants. If anyone knows of a shop that would have a good selection in stock I would appreciate hearing about them.

Also, if there is a shop that stocks Versys accessories/add-ons I would love that tip too.

By the way, it looks like good riding weather around here for the next few days!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 12:33 PM

Let me see if I got this right - your from Halifax but riding from Oregon to New York? Are you on the Versys? Did you ship your bike out or did you ride it out? Sounds like an interesting ride.

I live in Niagara Falls but on the Canadian side. I also work in Rochester, New York. I don't have much insight on places for good gear. Most places around here seem to be suited for the cruiser crowd - you go in and everything is in black and leather. The textile stuff is off in a corner. Skid lids predominate the shelves in the helmet section.

Mostly, I order on line. I just don't have the selection of things I want locally. Even my local Kawi dealer is mostly suited to the Cruiser crowd. If I went in asked them about heated gear - I'd get 5 different answers from three different people. I've given up and buy online where I can get reviews, peruse at my leisure and have a huge selection. Returns are a pain but there's always a downside.

Good luck on your trip, have fun! Pics and Write-ups always welcome so I can live vicariously through you.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Hey Ocean,

I am from Halifax. I rode from there to Massachusetts then back up to Portland Maine. It would've been nice to go from Oregon but I don't have that kind of time.

I have found the same thing about buying online. I was just hoping to find a shop that would cater to someone other than the cruiser set. It's always nice to be able to try clothes on before you buy.

I will try and post some pics.

If anyone else has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 09:26 PM

There's a place in Putnam, CT (might be a bit out of your way) called Excalliber Power Sports http://www.excaliburpowersports.com/ that I know carries heated gloves 'cos I was looking at them. I think I saw heated suits also but can't say for sure. You could give them a call and find out.

The other place I would check is Brockton Cycle http://www.brocktoncycle.com/default.asp
I know they carry heated clothing.

Have fun on the trip.

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 09:57 AM

Hi Ocean,

A good place for heated stuff is Venco Wings in Loudon, NH (vencowings.com). They carry Gerbings and other stuff. MOst of their accessories are for Goldwings though. You'll have the smallest bike in the parking lot!

You could also try White Horse Press in Conway NH (whitehorsepress.com). They are mostly a catalog / online dealer, but you can shop directly in their warehouse and try stuff on. They are good folks.

One other place is Moto Market in Acton, MA (motomkt.com). They are all about helmets and jackets and pants, etc. They can be pricey on some stuff, and they don't always have larger sizes in stock IME. They have a cafe in the store, so it's nice to stop in anyway.

Have a good trip!

-Alan
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 10:10 PM

Another place is Twisted Throttle www.twistedthrottle.com in Peacedale, RI. Really close to I-95 if you're taking that route. Great people

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode