Comfortable Fullface Helmet - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Comfortable Fullface Helmet

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a comfortable helmet. I currently have an Icon Alliance SSR size 2XL and after about an hour with it on the pressure on the top and back of my head are unbarable to the point of distraction. My head is a little larger than average so if you have any tips on a comfortable helmet that don't break the bank it would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 09:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to bigpun2216
by FAR the best helemt ive owned is ARAI. Its is the most expensive but in this aspect you deffinatly get what you pay for....
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 09:56 PM

I'm a big fan of Scorpion helmets. I've had a couple and I don't see any reason why my next helmet won't be another Scorpion. I think for the money (about $200 for the EXO700 and about $140-150 for the EXO400 I think), you can't get a better helmet. They are relatively light, fairly well vented, fairly quiet. The thing that really sets them apart in my opinion is their Everclear shield (I think that what they call it). They claim there is a durable coating of some sort on the interior of the screen that should decrease the amount of fogging that you get. My helmet is not completely immune to fogging, but all in all it's pretty good compared to other lids. I'm pretty sure everything they sell is rated at the highest Snell level (M2000 or something like that).

My 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 10:42 PM

Shoei RF1000?

CV,

I tried every brand of helmet prior to purchasing my RF1000.

All exerted pressure on the front and back of my head. I gave each a 5 min. trial by roaming about the store. The sales person, very knowledgeable and helpful, insisted I do this. Some were to the point of giving me a headache in that short a time.

She finally brought out the RF1000 and warned me about the price.

I say comfort trumps price, particularly as regards helmets.

FWIW I highly recommend the RF1000. I'm 2 years in on this one and it's stood up incredibly well.

Cheers,

BBM
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 10:52 PM

I think the message in all of these posts is that helmets and helmet fitting is a very personal thing. I think the advice that BrianBMann received is very good. You've got to try them on.

Obviously each manufacturer has their own molds which make assumption about the "average" head shape. I think folks find that there are certain brands that tend to fit their individual head shape better. There are Arai heads, Shoei heads and so forth.

Actually, that's one of the reasons that I like the Scorpion is that now that I have worn 2 different helmets from them, I know what size fits and can now save the money and order online.

Good luck.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 11:03 PM

People do have different head shapes, and different manufacturers do different things about it. A high volume company like HJC or Scorpy will split the difference. Arai makes three different shapes.

Another thing to consider is that a helmet might feel great in the store but not after a few hours. A helmet that feels great in the store might be loose after it wears in. A helmet that feels just too tight in the store is probably going to be perfect after a while. A helmet that's too tight on your head is going to be quieter. A helmet that goes further down (my Icon goes about 1/2" further down than my Arai) is going to be quieter. A helmet that's lighter is going to be less tiring, more expensive, and less feature-iffic.

My own current choice is an Arai Corsair.

I'm calm like a bomb!

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 04:24 AM

+1 for Scorpion sportbiketrackgear.com has a good price on them also....i just bought one from them.

'15 DL1000
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 06:09 AM

I had the same problem, as I have a oblong shaped head. I ended up with an HJC CL-Max flip up. I will never buy anything but a flip up after this. It's like having AC when you are sitting at a light. A bit noisier, but well worth it.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 06:46 AM

I had a tough time finding a helmet that fit me...I think I am between sizes for a lot of manufacturers. I don't remember everything that I tried, but I needed a 2XL HJC where the Shoei RF1000 I bought is an XL and fits me perfectly. I wish it had just a little bit more ventilation, but it is really comfortable and vented pretty well. Noise isn't too bad either. Replacement shields are easy to find and replace (also easy to scratch). But like everyone says...try a few because they really can be very different.

I wear glasses so next time I might try a flipup...I wear earplugs for the noise anyway.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 02:33 PM

Here is my lowdown on helmets.

Completely agree with the above posters who say you have to try a helmet on. Then try it on again. Walk around the store with it on. For about 30 min at least. Ignore the funny looks you get from the other patrons.

Under not circumstances buy a helmet that you have not tried on. Its just a crap shoot if you do.

My personal recommendation, and my helmet of choice for the last 8 years or so, is Arai. Hands down they are the best helmet made. Not the SAFEST mind you, but the best. All helmets have to pass a bunch or arcane tests to get DOT certification in this country. Many helmet manufacturers, like Arai, go one step further and get Snell certification as well. So I would say that most all helmets with DOT and Snell certification are roughly as safe as any other that have these same certs.

But when it comes to the quality and fit/finish of a helmet....Arai reigns supreme. I have worn Arai, Shoei, Bieffe, HJC, Fulmer and several other I cant remember. I have also had access to friends helmets that I have always inspected and asked to wear just to see what other brands are like. After 19 years of riding, Arai passes every test.

However, if you do not have an Arai shaped head...well, this means nothing to you. I kinda know what you mean about the Icon. There are several Icons I have really liked and when I tried them on at a local bike shop they all felt instantly uncomfortable. My head just did not fit well in them. But they do make very nice helmets.

I would rank AGV and Shoei right under Arai in terms of quality. The only thing here is that both of these manufacturers make cheaper, budget helmets. Arai really doesnt do this. I think recently they have made a cheaper helmet but it is still fairly expensive and doesnt qualify as a budget helmet. Just a cheaper Arai. Doesnt have a removable liner and stuff like that but it still has the fit and finish Arai is known for.

But before I get to long winded on personal tastes I would like to say again that your helmet choice needs to be tailored for your head. From your description, Icon is not for you.

What you might try doing is calling MotoLiberty, a bike shop close to where I live that gives AWESOME customer service and knows everything there is to know about bike gear. Im sure if you call up and ask to speak to their helmet expert and describe the problem with your current helmet and the pressure points you have they can probably, over the phone, tell you what type of helmet you need to start trying on. Yes, they are that bad ass. (I cant remember his name, but ask to speak to the english bloke that knows Phil Read).

motoliberty.com

Thats their link, give 'em a call. Cant do any harm and they may be able to help.

Hope some of this rambling helps. Jeeze, now people are gonna think I work for Motoport AND Arai.

"If Caesar was alive today I would be chained to an oar".

This life is a test
It is only a test
Had it been an actual life
You would have received
Further Instructions on
Where to go and what to do

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 03:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to bigpun2216
this last post must not have known or read a previous post up above, everyone has some sort of "arai head". Arai makes three different shapes, one of these has got to fit anyones type of head. Arai is just the best!!! Trust me, i guaranty you will not be disapointed.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 04:39 PM

Is this where we do the flamewar about the Motorcyclist tests a couple years ago where they found Snell cert helmets were less safe than DOT?

I'm calm like a bomb!

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
Is this where we do the flamewar about the Motorcyclist tests a couple years ago where they found Snell cert helmets were less safe than DOT?
+1

I read that article and I agree it made a very compelling case against the Snell certification. Since then, the Snell Foundation has announced they are revising their standards, but they don't go into affect until 2009 or 2010.

I'm a big fan of Shark helmets. I did a ton of reading on this site before trying and buying my RSI:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 08:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to versysred Send a message via Yahoo to versysred
Shoei RF-1000 I have had one for a little over a year and my father has had one for at least to very comfortable.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 09:18 PM

I wasnt aware of the Snell issue. I will check that out, good info to know.

And I did read the post about the 3 different arai head shapes. But not everyone is going to fit an arai. 3 different shapes are not going to cover all the head shapes in the human species. My friend Winston loves Arai, but has never, ever found one that is comfortable for him. So he wears Shoei and is very happy with it.

I also recently checked out shark helmets. They do look very nice. I have been considering a modular helmet since I like to take pictures when I am out riding and my digital SLR is to big to use with a helmet on. Its a pain in the but to take the helmet off and put it back on every time I want to stop. This led me to look at the new Shark modular that has some pretty nifty designs on it. I think it is the only modular that lets you ride around with the helmet in the open posistion.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...shark-evoline/

Pretty spiffy looking to.

"If Caesar was alive today I would be chained to an oar".

This life is a test
It is only a test
Had it been an actual life
You would have received
Further Instructions on
Where to go and what to do

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 09:29 PM
mpw

I read quite a few reviews at web bike world and ending up getting the Shark RSI Solid helmet, found the review to be spot on with the helmet being more elliptical than round to fit my head...and am quite happy with my purchase
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 08:43 AM

You can't beat the quality/feature/price ratio of the Gmax 68. WebBikeWorld made it the helmet of the year in 2007 and I bought it for $90 on line.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 10:09 AM

Comfortable Fullface Helmet

I have a Shoei Multitec (see my avatar) it is confortable, light, aérodynamics an very very convenient its failure is its high price.
http://www.shoei-europe.com/en/
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 08:44 PM

Talking

LOVE my Arai Quantum II!

"Well, I screwed it up real good, didn't I" - Nixon

'09 KLR
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 12:48 PM

Don't buy it without trying it on

I wanted to by a helmet over the Internet after using the sizing charts. I thought I better try one on at a local HJC dealer. On line using the sizing charts I was a large however, with the help of store clerk, I sized as an extra large. The large was just too tight in the cheek/jaw area, it was painful.

I got a HJC FS-10 Fossil Blue helmet to go with my future blue Versys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode