• 2 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By aboyandhisversys
  • 1 Post By Doug Just Doug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
What gloves do you wear?

I'm looking for three season gloves (spring, summer, fall) for my wife and I. Gauntlet style with palm sliders. The Knox SMS line has my interest, but I'm wondering what members of the board are wearing; where did you get them, and how much? Waterproof? Windproof?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 05:19 PM

Garage
I carry 3 or 4 pair with me when I ride. I also install heated grips on most of my bikes to extend my riding comfort with the pair I have on at the time.

Part of the reason is because I don't want to expose my Gore-Tex gloves to the UV and oils from my skin unless I am riding in the rain.

Whatever brand you get, make sure they are comfortable but can't come off when the straps are cinched up.

I carry mesh or perforated, 3 season Gore-Tex, warm weather waterproof, and a solid leather pair. Swap out as needed.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 06:16 PM

Garage
I just bought some BMW GS Dry gloves. I was looking for the same as you, spring, summer, fall, gauntlet, and waterproof. . I've only had them a week but they are good at 55 and also at 82. And they are waterproof. About 85 degrees might be their max though. I have vented gloves and lined winter gloves, and these seem to be perfect for in between those two. And I got the GS Dry gloves at a local BMW dealer and they were $150. I didn't really want to spend that much, but they felt so good on my hands, I guess you could say they fit like a glove.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.

Last edited by james75; 08-27-2017 at 06:20 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

just get something within your budget and be ready to throw within 6 month. No need to buy expensive ones as they don't last. I have a few for long rides and they don't cost much.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

I usually carry two pair, except on long trips, where I carry more (depending on where I'm heading!) to cover expected weather.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 03:49 PM

Garage
My main gloves are Held Thrux racing type gloves. They have slight perforation in inside of fingers but are warm enough for a slightly cooler day. The main reason I invested in expensive gloves like these, and there are lots of other great choices in this category, was their more serious wrist protection. I did this after an accident in which I broke a wrist. I also have gloves I use in cooler weather.

Having crashed with a resulting serious wrist injury, actually my only injury, I would suggest taking palm/wrist sliders, and wrist protection, very seriously. Anything that will grip the road can contribute to an injury. Super-fabric or plastic that slides easily on the road and won't rip your wrist around when it hits the road and grips is is desirable. In my accident the base of my palm/wrist (exactly where the palm sliders are on a glove) hit the road first, hard, and gripped, ripping my wrist back and breaking it. After the initial impact your hands instinctively ball up hence the protection on the back of the gloves. Wrist and other fractures to the joints are serious because they can't be totally repaired, unlike more basic bone fractures.

I find I do not require waterproof gloves in hot summertime as wet gloves are more comfortable than gloves that are too warm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gloves.jpg (102.5 KB, 173 views)
aemacleod and 16VGTIDave like this.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-28-2017 at 04:28 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 10:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I find I do not require waterproof gloves in hot summertime as wet gloves are more comfortable than gloves that are too warm.
Plus, if you're anything like me, gloves that are too warm very quickly become wet gloves
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
My main gloves are Held Thrux racing type gloves. They have slight perforation in inside of fingers but are warm enough for a slightly cooler day. The main reason I invested in expensive gloves like these, and there are lots of other great choices in this category, was their more serious wrist protection. I did this after an accident in which I broke a wrist. I also have gloves I use in cooler weather.

Having crashed with a resulting serious wrist injury, actually my only injury, I would suggest taking palm/wrist sliders, and wrist protection, very seriously. Anything that will grip the road can contribute to an injury. Super-fabric or plastic that slides easily on the road and won't rip your wrist around when it hits the road and grips is is desirable. In my accident the base of my palm/wrist (exactly where the palm sliders are on a glove) hit the road first, hard, and gripped, ripping my wrist back and breaking it. After the initial impact your hands instinctively ball up hence the protection on the back of the gloves. Wrist and other fractures to the joints are serious because they can't be totally repaired, unlike more basic bone fractures.

The wrist protection is what's drawing me to the Knox gloves. They seem to have the best palm slider tech but I'm not keen on the exposed ratchet system cables. Seems like they could snag on things easily. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...i-sport-gloves

My wife is an RN and has seen so many injuries to the Scaphoid area. It can not only end your bike riding but your job and everything else you do with your hands. We ordered these for her. They're made by Scorpion but they use the Knox sliders in the palms. https://www.amazon.com/ScorpionExo-W...xo+mkii+gloves

Last edited by Bale2011; 08-29-2017 at 11:11 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 09:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
...Having crashed with a resulting serious wrist injury, actually my only injury, I would suggest taking palm/wrist sliders, and wrist protection, very seriously. Anything that will grip the road can contribute to an injury. Super-fabric or plastic that slides easily on the road and won't rip your wrist around when it hits the road and grips is is desirable. In my accident the base of my palm/wrist (exactly where the palm sliders are on a glove) hit the road first, hard, and gripped, ripping my wrist back and breaking it. After the initial impact your hands instinctively ball up hence the protection on the back of the gloves. Wrist and other fractures to the joints are serious because they can't be totally repaired, unlike more basic bone fractures....
I agree, I only use gloves with hard armor on the palms now. After having my hand broken in a crash last year I like hard armor on the knuckles, too.

My favorite protective gloves are the REV'IT! Cayenne Pro Gloves. They have a hard palm slider and an aluminum knuckle guard. Yet are amazingly comfortable.

Even more comfortable but still offering some protection are my Held Rodneys. They have super fabric on the palms. But unfortunately have soft armor on the knuckles.

For waterproof gloves I use the Held Rainstars. They have stingray leather on the palm, which is tough and will slide like super fabric. The waterproof liner is bonded to shell, so it never comes out even when you try to remove wet hands. They have a hard knuckle also, I think it's metal but not sure.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 10:12 AM

Garage
Sounds like some of you need to slow down.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 12:14 PM

my favs that I've had for years is the Knox Handroid. they're frightfully expensive, but at the time I was riding (and still ride) a ZX14 and I figure you can never have too much protection. they work very well in hot weather, they're rebuildable(!) when I wear them out, and fit better than any road glove I've ever had.

https://www.planet-knox.com/product/...orcycle-gloves

Last edited by aboyandhisversys; 08-29-2017 at 12:17 PM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...I find I do not require waterproof gloves in hot summertime as wet gloves are more comfortable than gloves that are too warm....
For 'waterproof' I use a pair of those waterproof gloves for working w/ sewage (from Harbor Freight or Princess Auto) sized to fit OVER a pair of MX gloves. I've ridden in some VERY long rain-storms w/ my hands comfortable and DRY!
twowheels likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
my favs that I've had for years is the Knox Handroid. they're frightfully expensive, but at the time I was riding (and still ride) a ZX14 and I figure you can never have too much protection. they work very well in hot weather, they're rebuildable(!) when I wear them out, and fit better than any road glove I've ever had.

https://www.planet-knox.com/product/...orcycle-gloves
Yeah I saw that and it's an awesome glove but the $270.00 price tag scared me away. The Nexos at $180.00 is bad enough.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bale2011 View Post
Yeah I saw that and it's an awesome glove but the $270.00 price tag scared me away. The Nexos at $180.00 is bad enough.
The old saw about "If you have a ten dollar head, wear a ten dollar helmet" rang true...

"I'm about to hit the pavement at 55 mph palms down, sure glad I bought the Cycle Gear $20 gloves.... Oh, wait....? Oh ****!!!!"
james75 likes this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=aboyandhisversys;1435362]The old saw about "If you have a ten dollar head, wear a ten dollar helmet" rang true...

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
The old saw about "If you have a ten dollar head, wear a ten dollar helmet" rang true...

"I'm about to hit the pavement at 55 mph palms down, sure glad I bought the Cycle Gear $20 gloves.... Oh, wait....? Oh ****!!!!"
Agreed, but just to be clear, I never said anything about buying $20 gloves from Cycle Gear. That would be silly. I AM looking at the $180.00 set from Knox. Does that mean I'm going to be worse off because I didn't buy their $270.00 pair? Who knows. But I doubt every experienced rider here has their $270.00 (or higher) pair.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 11:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
For 'waterproof' I use a pair of those waterproof gloves for working w/ sewage (from Harbor Freight or Princess Auto) sized to fit OVER a pair of MX gloves. I've ridden in some VERY long rain-storms w/ my hands comfortable and DRY!
Great idea! This might also work for cold weather too instead of buying second pair of cold weather gloves although I would expect the result is a little bulky.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 12:36 PM

I'm a glove whore. OK, a general gear whore. I have at least a dozen pairs of gloves hanging around, but my current "go to" are:

Olympia Weatherking II Goretex: cow skin; have worn them as low as 6F without heated grips; too warm over ~40F, waterproof, bulky, can't live without these

Held Steve Classic: kangaroo skin; cool to very hot temps; palm sliders, visor wipe, great control feel

Lee Parks Deersports w/ Outlast: deerskin; sorta cool (~40 F) to hot temps; no palm sliders but extra leather patch on the palm, great control feel

Aerostich Competition Ropers: elkskin; these go on when it's super hot; no palm sliders, very basic, visor wipe

I carry waterproof glove covers all year, but I do have some waterproof BMW-branded "Atlantis" Gore-tex X-Trafit (liners won't pull out with your wet hands) gloves I sometimes wear if I'm headed out in heavy rain.
quexpress likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode