Is A Schuberth Modular Worth It - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Is A Schuberth Modular Worth It

I'm looking to replace my Nolan N-104 before that i had a Nolan N-90. I love the Ratchet System Nolan uses for strapping on your helmet...I hate D-Rings. Want something lighter and quieter so I've been looking at the C3 Pro. I'm not cheap but it just hurts my behind to shell out almost $700.00 for a helmet unless its something special. If you have a Schuberth chime in and let me know how you feel about it.....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 09:35 PM

I have a C3 Pro. The retail on it was $829 because it has the matte black and red graphics. I got it on clearance at Irv Seaver BMW in Orange for $499. They still might have some left. The weight is 3.53lbs, it has a pin lock for the front visor to prevent it from fogging up. The airflow isn't bad and the noise is good. It too, has the ratchet system. I know the noise is good because I have an Arai Corsair my neighbor gave me. That helmet is light and has excellent air flow, but the airflow is so good that the helmet is very noisy. If you go to Revzilla the reviews are pretty good.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch71 View Post
I have a C3 Pro. The retail on it was $829 because it has the matte black and red graphics. I got it on clearance at Irv Seaver BMW in Orange for $499. They still might have some left. The weight is 3.53lbs, it has a pin lock for the front visor to prevent it from fogging up. The airflow isn't bad and the noise is good. It too, has the ratchet system. I know the noise is good because I have an Arai Corsair my neighbor gave me. That helmet is light and has excellent air flow, but the airflow is so good that the helmet is very noisy. If you go to Revzilla the reviews are pretty good.

Yea i like the way yours look that day we went up to Wrightwood. Guess I'll have to make a trip to IRV Seaver BMW to try one on....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 07:15 AM

Garage
What shape head do you have?

Find a helmet that is comfortable and it doesn't really matter what it cost. I've had $149 helmets that were as comfortable as $800 helmets.

My long oval LS2 modular has ratchet strap, pinlock, quick change shield, etc. It has one negative and that is not much room for my SENA speakers.

I tried on the shuberth at the local BMW dealer and they put too much pressure on my forehead.

Check out webbikeworld which lists helmets by category and weight.
weljo2001 likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I bought a C3 on sale from Revzilla... bloody good helmet.
really good airflow
low noise as it wraps around your head and there is no gaps around the neck to let air in which creates helmet noise.
Mine is matt black and even in 40+degC temps I am not uncomfortable.
Internal visor is like wearing Oakley shades... optically clear and distortion free. I'd like to get an iridium internal visor that would cut down a bit more glare and heat on the face.
Big thing I notice over my Shark Vison R is that the C3 has much better aerodynamics. Shark wants to rip your head off if you look sideways... C3 does not.
I did have to dremel out a deeper speaker space in the foam for my Sena 20S speakers.

Love the C3 helmet.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

Find a helmet that is comfortable and it doesn't really matter what it cost. I've had $149 helmets that were as comfortable as $800 helmets.

My long oval LS2 modular has ratchet strap, pinlock, quick change shield, etc. It has one negative and that is not much room for my SENA speakers.

I tried on the shuberth at the local BMW dealer and they put too much pressure on my forehead.

Check out webbikeworld which lists helmets by category and weight.

I have the head shape for a Schuberth. The reason i'm looking at it is that it has the features i like and its lighter and quieter than my previous helmets. I'm going to go try one on to be sure it fits well.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
I bought a C3 on sale from Revzilla... bloody good helmet.
really good airflow
low noise as it wraps around your head and there is no gaps around the neck to let air in which creates helmet noise.
Mine is matt black and even in 40+degC temps I am not uncomfortable.
Internal visor is like wearing Oakley shades... optically clear and distortion free. I'd like to get an iridium internal visor that would cut down a bit more glare and heat on the face.
Big thing I notice over my Shark Vison R is that the C3 has much better aerodynamics. Shark wants to rip your head off if you look sideways... C3 does not.
I did have to dremel out a deeper speaker space in the foam for my Sena 20S speakers.

Love the C3 helmet.

Thanks...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

Find a helmet that is comfortable and it doesn't really matter what it cost.
Problem is, in a showroom they can feel fine.
I once bought an HJC. Didn't want to shell out for another Shoei. Felt fine in the showroom. Got out on the road and after an hour or so it felt like some setting a hot skillet between my eyebrows.
Fortunately, I got it at a dealer who allowed me to return it and get another Shoei. Not sure many would do that anymore.

Science...because we don't figure things out by praying.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
I once bought an HJC. Didn't want to shell out for another Shoei. Felt fine in the showroom. Got out on the road and after an hour or so it felt like some setting a hot skillet between my eyebrows.
Fortunately, I got it at a dealer who allowed me to return it and get another Shoei. Not sure many would do that anymore.

I'm looking at the Shoei Neotec also. Just don't like D-Rings much...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I'm looking at the Shoei Neotec also. Just don't like D-Rings much...
I do mine up once. From then on, the strap doubles as a handle. Just hold it apart with my thumbs and slip it over my head forever thereafter.
weljo2001 likes this.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 08:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Cyclegear has a 7 day return policy. Revzilla has an exchange policy. Just don't sweat up the helmet. I agree that just trying it on in a showroom isn't the best way. It can tell you if a helmet is not comfortable, but rarely the opposite. I will wear one for at least 30 minutes in the store for a feel.

I sure wish the shark evoline 3 fit my head. I like the concept of putting the chin bar all the way behind the helmet.
saddlebag likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Its also a pain because a lot of the helmets now seem to have a ridge along the side where i would normally mount my camera or the flip up part of the chin guard goes back further like my Nolan N-104 so where you mount the camera when you lift the chin guard the camera goes up too. On the Nolan N-90 that wasn't an issue. So while i check out other helmets i just pulled out the N-90 and mic'd it up. Its in great shape i didn't need to replace it when i did it was just in need of a new face shied but i bought the N-104 instead of the shield.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I check the helmets out, pick one, then get permission to put it on and wear it around the store for up to an hour.

SO FAR that's worked....
saddlebag likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I check the helmets out, pick one, then get permission to put it on and wear it around the store for up to an hour.

SO FAR that's worked....
I just wait for closeout sales on Arais and Shoeis as I know they always work for me. Arais are getting crazy overpriced though. Got a nice one for three bills and change over the winter.
My last couple of Shoeis have been about the same price, but their quality seems to be decreasing. They are both QWest and both have issues with the padding, chin curtain, and nose cover not fitting right or staying in place. I've always owned the RF series which never had those kind of issues. RFs are getting kinda ridiculously expensive too.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 06:21 PM

not that my opinion will count much..but I went from a Nolan N-104 EVO to a Schuberth C3 PRO this year...my main reason was for the weight reduction as I was getting severe neck and shoulder strain and a friend suggested it was the helmet...after a 4 day trip with the Schuberth I can testify that the pain is gone...the helmet is also light years quieter...I think the vision port on the Nolan was better..aka larger..and it's visor had that nice snap up feature...I've heard people complain about the ventilation in the Schuberth..but I find it works just fine...the front vent provides a nice breeze...
was it worth it? I bought mine on year end sale for around half price..and at that price point it can't be beat...if you don't want to pay the 799..you'll have to wait until next year...
a Schuberth communication system (separate) is in the neck roll and connects to antenna in the helmet...
as for a camera..the lip doesn't look good for mounting..but you'll be a better judge of that than me..I mount my camera on top of the helmet just behind where the visor stops when fully opened...my camera isn't the brick that go-pro's are..so that works for me...
weljo2001 likes this.

Last edited by chadams66; 05-08-2017 at 06:32 PM.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 06:59 PM

Garage
I was reminded of the difference in helmet quality the other day when I wore my older Scorpion EXO-700. I usually wear a Bell RS-1. The RS-1 is a considerably more expensive helmet. While they both appear similar in appearance and feel, the Bell just fits so much more accurately and vents so much better. It is also slightly quieter and does not buffet at high speeds like the Scorpion. These are hard qualities to judge in the store but make a huge difference on the bike. The Bell and Aria helmets I've owned have spoiled me for cheaper budget helmets. I'm not sure if it is real or perceived but I am assuming there is an increase in safety with a better quality helmet too.

Another must have for me in any future helmet purchases is PinLock compatibility as without one you will suffer fogging issues in colder and wet weather. That and a separate dark, tinted visor as sun glasses are a pain to wear under a helmet.

Finally a factor several reviews allude to... Some helmets are meant to vent optimally in an upright riding position like the Versys while most racing helmets, while they vent OK, do it optimally in a tuck position. The vent positions and bottom of the helmet are tuned to expected rider position on the bike. I found my Aria Profile for instance doubled the amount of air flow if I tilted my head forward, as if in a tuck. With my Bell however, which is also racing helmet, head tilt angle, makes little difference in air flow through the helmet. Bell claims to use wind tunnel testing in the design of their helmets.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-08-2017 at 07:18 PM.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Been looking at tons of reviews on modulars. Wore my old Nolan N-90 today and realized i liked it better than my Nolan N-104. Smaller shell better air flow and much easier to use the flip-down inner visor. Will continue to look till i see exactly what i want....Thanks for all the suggestions....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 08:31 PM

I am thinking Shoei Neo. I too purchased an HJC and it's been okay but just okay. The sunshade mechanism mysteriously broke when my kids were home (hmmmm) and it is loud. The Shoei tends to have overlarge cheek pads but is much quieter and the sun visor mechanism is great with gloves. I've only worn it in the shop but with slimmer cheeks it would be my top choice. Seems lighter than the HJC and the visor seals really well and has good clarity. I do like the easy pop out feature of the HJC visor. I think I could wear the Shoei without ear plugs. I made one trip with the HJC and no ear plugs. Not doing that again.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:31 PM

Reading with great interest Joe. I too have a Nolan 104 that fits my oblong head. It is very noisy, but I wear plugs most of the time. I tried the Shoei's, but they were made more for a round head IMHO. I have never had any issues with fogging since I use the pinlocks on both my clear and my silver mirrored visor, but I do not think there is much airflow. How do you compare the airflow on the 104 with the competition?

BTW, I am having the new Drift Ghost 4K's delivered in a couple of days. Have been waiting for them to start distributing them since Sept.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
Reading with great interest Joe. I too have a Nolan 104 that fits my oblong head. It is very noisy, but I wear plugs most of the time. I tried the Shoei's, but they were made more for a round head IMHO. I have never had any issues with fogging since I use the pinlocks on both my clear and my silver mirrored visor, but I do not think there is much airflow. How do you compare the airflow on the 104 with the competition?

BTW, I am having the new Drift Ghost 4K's delivered in a couple of days. Have been waiting for them to start distributing them since Sept.

Not thrilled with the air flow on the N-104 My old N-90 is way better...With the Versys I've been having issues with my ears lately.Might need to raise my screen. Never had any with the Touring Screen on the FJR. I don't want to use ear plugs but might have to go that route. I'm still looking at the Drift 4K just want to wait till they get all the bugs worked out...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode