what helmet do you wear? - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 186 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Speed & Strength SS2500. Gloss Black. Paid $130 for it.

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium
Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat, Shad SH33 top case, Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust, Moto Werk 1" risers, Grab On grip covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 186 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 10:31 PM

Garage
Scorpion EXO-950

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #43 of 186 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 10:36 PM

Garage
AGV K3SV for me, Arai RX7 GP for my wife.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19366105_10154941900159563_3371852677735461900_n.jpg (38.8 KB, 49 views)

post #44 of 186 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 02:43 PM

After trying on about 30 different helmets, this was the obvious choice for most comfort. Of course, it was $500! But I'm so glad I got it. Super comfortable in cold weather and hot. Lots of vent options and just feels perfect on my noggin.

Shoei RF-1200.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shoei_rf1200_graffiti_helmet_white_blue_gold_zoom.jpg (48.9 KB, 48 views)
post #45 of 186 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 03:09 PM

Garage
Arai Signet-X recently. Yes, a big expense but I couldn't find anything else that fit my skull. Previously I was using an Icon Alliance and it was killing my forehead about an hour into riding.

--------------------------------
2008 Kawasaki Versys 650

Barkbuster Storm Guards
SW Motech Riser Block
Givi D405ST Windscreen
post #46 of 186 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 09:05 AM

Garage
I'm currently wearing an Arai Signet Q... they went on clearance for 60% off and I grabbed one ....I'll say this, they are great helmets, but I do not think they are worth the original price ($700.00) and would not spend that much for this helmet...at less than half price,they are a nice helmet.
post #47 of 186 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 01:58 PM

Garage
After getting hit from behind at 55 mph, my HJC saved my life as I slide on my back for 150 feet. So I replaced it with another HJC and just recently got a great deal on this HJC SYMAX III modular.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1918.jpg (54.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0240.jpg (61.9 KB, 56 views)

Retired Air Force (1986)
2016 Kawi Versys 650LT
post #48 of 186 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 02:30 PM

Garage
Which One? HJC SYMAX III modular.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_1983.jpg (52.9 KB, 35 views)

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)
post #49 of 186 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
New Helmet by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #50 of 186 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 09:51 AM

Garage
Shoei Qwest

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road.
The other 2% made it home
post #51 of 186 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Safety First.

+1 for the Quest. Great helmet. Safe and quiet. A bit hot and heavy. Non removable liner is a bit sucky as well. At 200.00 less than Rf1200, it's a great deal.
post #52 of 186 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Arai Vector 2. Fits my head just right and is a match for my Versys...

Ride while you can
post #53 of 186 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Been trying on helmets lately. Guess I have a bit of a long oval head. Proportionally narrower than normal but also longer front to back than normal. Can't seem to get a good fit with Shoei, HJC, or many other popular brands. The Aria Signet seems to offer the best fit but is a bit pricey. My current Bell RS-1 fits well though as does an LS-2 and AGV I recently tried. Only issue with the LS-2 is I'm a XXL in it while I am a L in Bell and most other helmets. My point is a great helmet for one person will be a poor fitting helmet for someone else. You really have to try a helmet on and wear it around the store for a while to see if it is a good fit. If you can shake your head from side to side and the helmet does not move with you it's too wide fitting. If you get pressure points on your forehead or back of head that's not a good sign either.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-14-2017 at 12:26 PM.
post #54 of 186 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
still rocking the IV2

well being the cheap bastard i am, im still rocking my IV2, i clean the inside at least once a year as well as inspect all the hardware,padding and shell.. has never been really dropped or had any impacts other then bugs and once a small bird after bouncing off my hand.
was around $100+S&H and other then the weight of it (heavy as f*ck compared to my carbon fiber fly racing dirt bike helmet) and the wind noise at higher speed (camera bluetooth and ears dont help) but i absolutely love that its modular, if you wear glasses this is a must have, it makes taking the helmet on and off a 15 second vs about 3 minutes with a normal full face, and id never use a open face helmet...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150819_132307.jpg (46.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 20150819_135634(3).jpg (39.8 KB, 41 views)
Dannyboy1949 and Shibumik like this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

Last edited by silviefox; 08-14-2017 at 04:02 PM.
post #55 of 186 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 03:58 PM

Garage
I use the Bilt Techno Bluetooth Evolution Modular Helmet. Wife wanted modular to easily kiss be before ride when I am geared up. Bluetooth for ride music mainly. Now Shes happy she can talk to me when I am riding. This really came in handy when she saw a bike down on the expressway. We ended up talking for the hour drive. But it really helped her fears of me getting in accident.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Helmet_Front2.jpg (46.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Helmet_Back2.jpg (27.0 KB, 28 views)
Buffalo_Bob likes this.

'08 Red V
Mods - Lets just say I probably "NEED" more
post #56 of 186 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 11:08 AM

Shoei Hornet X2.

+Great helmet, fits my head perfectly, while sometimes difficult to get on/off thats probably a good thing. Looks badass with the peak on, and doesn't catch as much air as a typical DS peak, despite remaining perfectly functional. Quite pricey but i'm willing to shell out the cash on brain buckets....

-Only things I dont really like are the peak vent ONLY closes when you have the peak installed... When you take the peak off you have a 1/4" or so diameter hole directly on the top of your head... What was Shoei thinking?

-The other thing is the way Shoei designed the brim of the helmet makes it nigh on impossible to install a bluetooth comms system with the proper clamp that I have installed on my spare Arai helmet, so i'm using the crappy 3M tape adhesive mount to hold on a $200 bluetooth comm unit, which only lasts about 9 months before the security of it becomes very questionable indeed...

It would be nice to have a drop down sun visor inside the helmet, but being that 3/4 of the reason I bought a DS style helmet is because the peak is effectively a hat brim... I can't really complain about that!

*Pic is not me*

post #57 of 186 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 10:18 PM

AFX DS-41 HiViz Yellow

Excellent budget priced helmet at about $160. Great venting. Well designed internal drop down sun shield. Reasonable weight. Not particularly quiet...but that's what ear plugs are for anyway. Easy to get replacement parts for. Handy ratcheting chin strap.

The large bill, normally used for dirt riding, is an easy on/off item that can be a godsend on early mornings, or late afternoons when the sun is low towards the horizon. Easy to remove and stow when not in use.
post #58 of 186 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy1949 View Post
...The large bill, normally used for dirt riding, is an easy on/off item that can be a godsend on early mornings, or late afternoons when the sun is low towards the horizon. Easy to remove and stow when not in use.
Or you can put a couple of lengths of 'electricians tape' across the top of your shield = VERY inexpensive + works GREAT!

I was able to view the eclipse thru it, and 'shared' it so two buddies could also view....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #59 of 186 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 05:52 PM

Garage
HJC DS-X1, black and silver. The silver isn't technically "reflective," but gets very bright in low light situations when light hits it. Strangely, every other helmet I've ever had was size large. HJCs I wear a medium?!? Anyway, good looking helmet, pin-lock ready, peak doesn't grab much air at all, and the helmet vents nicely. It's comfy if not very quiet, but I wear earplugs anyway. My only gripe is that with my (stock) windscreen in the highest position, the peak vibrates pretty badly above 35 mph. At my height (6 feet, 33" inseam), and the windscreen set at highest, it seems there is about a 6 inch high area of turbulence right where the peak is. I've been meaning to get a taller windscreen anyway!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BiPwIbDlReUuSGpG2

First two are in the dark with flash, last one is with lights on. Not really reflective, but almost?

Last edited by mentolio; 10-14-2017 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Adding picture links
post #60 of 186 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentolio View Post
HJC DS-X1, black and silver. The silver isn't technically "reflective," but gets very bright in low light situations when light hits it. Strangely, every other helmet I've ever had was size large. HJCs I wear a medium?!? Anyway, good looking helmet, pin-lock ready, peak doesn't grab much air at all, and the helmet vents nicely. It's comfy if not very quiet, but I wear earplugs anyway. My only gripe is that with my (stock) windscreen in the highest position, the peak vibrates pretty badly above 35 mph. At my height (6 feet, 33" inseam), and the windscreen set at highest, it seems there is about a 6 inch high area of turbulence right where the peak is. I've been meaning to get a taller windscreen anyway!
I keep looking at these, but I tend to ride with the shield just cracked open for increased ventilation. I kept wishing for a setting between closed and the first notch on my Hornet when I had it, and my current Qwest has the ability to have the shield open just slightly. How good is the ventilation on the HJC's?

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)

Last edited by DaveC; 10-09-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode