Oxford X20 Adventure tank bag - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Oxford X20 Went back, Coretech 2.0 12 liter arrived!

Well, I just pulled the trigger on the above mentioned tank bag. Appears to made for "sloping tanks" (like our Versys), is a strap mount design, expands to 20 liters, has a map pocket, etc. etc. I ordered from revzilla for $79.00. I had been strongly considering the Kawasaki OEM bag, as it really seems to be a perfect fit, but was lacking in other areas (and costs $140.00!). When it arrives I will advise as to how well it fits, functions, and post pics of how it looks.

Last edited by mentolio; 08-29-2016 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Old title no longer really pertinent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
This one?

https://smile.amazon.com/Oxford-OL23...nCrt=my-impact

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I have used magnetic tank bags on all three of my V 650s, "T-BAGS", and here's a pic or two....

and the black one on my '15.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
AlaskaJeff: yup, that's the one. Total fail. Overall the bag seemed sturdy and well made, but it was a lot bigger than expected, and the strap mount system was a little too convoluted for my taste. The bag (and mounting "base") covered the tank cap, so I would have to literally remove and reroute the whole front mounting strap system every time I need fuel, unless I want to reengineer the whole thing, which I don't. On the upside, the tank bag "base" has a built in map pocket, just in case you want to use a map but no bag. Thankfully it seems revzilla returns are easy, so back it went. I ordered the 12 liter Coretech 2.0 magnetic mount to replace it, so we'll see how that goes.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I've not ever had a problem using my magnetic tank bags on the Versys....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, the Coretech 2.0 12 liter magnetic bag arrived today, and it fits pretty well. Even with the "wings" out, all 8 magnets are contacting metal. I mount it high enough on the tank that it partially covers the fill cap, and only the last inch or two "overhangs" or doesn't contact the tank surface. It has a security strap that clips onto a ring at the front of the bag, and loops around the steering neck. All in all, seems pretty secure. The cost was $109.00 from revZilla. Coulda saved a few bucks on Amazon, but revZilla's return procedure was REALLY fast and efficient when I returned the Oxford (last Monday, refund already received!), so I stuck with them. Pictures soon to follow (once I take them).
Ed: thanx for the pics. I did look at them (as you mentioned them in another thread), and the Coretech looks like it shares a lot of traits with yours (shape, possibly size, accessories/functions...even the pockets, minus the side pockets yours has). Since this Coretech actually made it past the "mounting stage," I think I may have to keep it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
AlaskaJeff: y'know it's funny how narrow that Oxford bag looks in the pictures, especially the one you posted. Even knowing the dimensions it made me think: "meh, it ain't that big." Then it arrived, vaguely resembling a double-wide trailer. It just seemed like anywhere I placed it on the tank (never even bothered mounting it) it was just going to get smacked around by my handlebars. That (and the above mentioned mounting/fueling woes I foresaw) led me to pack it right back up.

On a side note, I think the strap mount version of the Coretech bag would fit the Versys even better than the magnetic mount, though I suspect you'd want to cut a hole in the mounting "platform" where the fill cap is...or maybe the disengagement for fueling would be less cumbersome/better engineered Than the Oxford. I guess that's gonna be for someone else to figure out.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah, it's hard to tell with them until you actually put it on the bike. I've been happy with the OEM Kawasaki tank bag. I have never had one on a bike before, wasn't sure IF I would even like it. But it has worked out great. I don't think you can get away from having to remove it for fueling, but since it's magnetic it's not that big of a deal. It is expandable and even though it doesn't have a full size map pocket it does the job well. Besides, with modern GPS and phone capability I don't see myself needing to use a map anytime soon.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode