Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

1Likes
  • 1 Post By quexpress

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2016, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New helmet purchased - Shoei GT-Air

Good day,

I purchased a new helmet yesterday and wanted to share the observations between my old and new helmet. When I bought the new helmet, one of the dilemma was not being able to try (riding on your motorcycle) before you buy. So I ended up reading a bunch of reviews online to find the helmet with the features that I wanted.

My old helmet was a Scorpion EXO1000 purchased in 2011. I never owned a motorcycle before so this was my first helmet ever. I pretty much bought it because it had DOT and SNELL approval sticker, it was on sale and it fitted my head (most importantly). Fast-forward 5 years later and riding 2 different styles of motorcycles (Ninja EX500 and now 2009 Versys), I was looking for a quieter helmet.

My criteria for a new helmet were:
  1. quietness
  2. modular (optional but not necessary)
  3. drop down visor
  4. communicator ready (recessed for speakers)

After reading a million reviews, I had narrowed my choices to a Shoei Neotec. I picked the Neotec because it was one of the modulars that was rated really good for quietness. I headed to the stores in the area of beautiful Edmonton AB to tryout the Neotec.

After trying the Neotec in medium size, it felt loose on my head. A small was too tight. One sales rep suggested the GT-Air. It had all I was looking for to the exception of being a modular helmet. The fit of the GT-Air was tighter to my face without any loose spots. So I walked out of the store with the GT-Air and set off for a 200km ride to try out the new helmet.

Here are my first impression of the Shoei GT-Air after 200km:
  1. The weight of the GT-Air - It was sooooo light on my head compared to my EXO1000
  2. Size - both helmets are Mediums but the GT-Air seems smaller from the outside
  3. Quality of the optics are awesome (drop-down visor and shield)
  4. Venting is really good - I would say a bit better than my EXO1000

As I said previously, one of the reasons I wanted a new helmet was for the quiet factor (plus my EXO1000 was on it's 5th year of usage). I was somewhat disappointed that the Shoei GT-Air was not more quiet than my EXO1000. I actually can say that both helmets are very similar in terms of quietness but on the other hand, I have a very lightweight helmet with excellent ventilation and optics. There is more riding to be done with the Shoei GT-Air but so far, I would recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade to a lighter helmet.

Feel free to comment or ask questions about either helmets.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2016, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest you try wearing ear-plugs under your helmet (IF you don't already).

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Old 08-22-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Suggest you try wearing ear-plugs under your helmet (IF you don't already).
I've never ridden significant miles with earplugs in. However I wonder does it isolate you from the vehicles around you so that maybe you don't hear skidding tires in the distance heading your way, or maybe a horn, etc?

Old 08-22-2016, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I ride with earplug.... I think the windnoise/buffeting is mainly caused by my Kawasaki MRA windscreen. If I stand up riding, the wind just flows nicely around the helmet

Fasteddie, I just read in your signature that your Green V is recently deceased... What happened?
Old 08-22-2016, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I've never ridden significant miles with earplugs in. However I wonder does it isolate you from the vehicles around you so that maybe you don't hear skidding tires in the distance heading your way, or maybe a horn, etc?

I never had issues with hearing high pitched sounds (car horns, screeching tire or sirens). I think the earplugs block out a certain sound frequency only. I would not go on long rides without earplugs but that's my personal preference
Old 08-22-2016, 02:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyzmo View Post
Fasteddie, I just read in your signature that your Green V is recently deceased... What happened?
Have a read of the tread in his signature: My Versys trip to D2D 2015, and Inuvik, June '15

Very sad, but I got a new windscreen from it

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
Old 08-22-2016, 06:44 PM

Great choice!

Well done!
I must add that I'm a bit biased because I currently ride with a Shoei GT-Air.
gyzmo likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
Well done!
I must add that I'm a bit biased because I currently ride with a Shoei GT-Air.
What type of helmet did you have prior to the Shoei?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2016, 05:40 AM

I recently tried on the Neotec and the GTAir. Really wanted the GTAir with the drop down visor until I tried on the RF1200. The RF1200 just fit me better and felt lighter. Ended up buying the RF1200 and the Transitions face shield. Haven't had a chance to test the shield in the sun yet as we're having unprecedented storms and rain here in central Texas. I would like to see any other opinions on the Transitions shields in anyone is using one.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyzmo View Post
What type of helmet did you have prior to the Shoei?

HJC IS-17. I find it a bit noisy.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:40 AM

I'm on year two with a Scorpian EXO-T1200...
Non- modular and noisy...but nice drop down visor for sun.

The Shoei GT-Air was next on my list to review, too bad about the noise factor. Trying a HJC modular now with drop down and am undecided.

Regarding ear plugs (foam disposable), I've been in the mfg. industry for 30+ years and ear plugs come in wide range of dB ratings (how much sound they block or filter). And, a lot depends on how well they are inserted.

Bottom line, some plugs are more quiet than others and they can be inserted in ways that make them more or less quiet. I should ad, some plugs are more comfortable than others too (soft vs. itchy).
Old 08-23-2016, 09:57 AM

Garage
Does the internal sun visor block ventilation from the vent intake that sits above it.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgb View Post
I'm on year two with a Scorpian EXO-T1200...
Non- modular and noisy...but nice drop down visor for sun.

The Shoei GT-Air was next on my list to review, too bad about the noise factor. Trying a HJC modular now with drop down and am undecided.

Regarding ear plugs (foam disposable), I've been in the mfg. industry for 30+ years and ear plugs come in wide range of dB ratings (how much sound they block or filter). And, a lot depends on how well they are inserted.

Bottom line, some plugs are more quiet than others and they can be inserted in ways that make them more or less quiet. I should ad, some plugs are more comfortable than others too (soft vs. itchy).
Outdoorgb: I would not rule out the Shoei GT-Air because of my noise comment. I think this just means that my Scorpion EXO1000 was actually decent for quietness and that I was expecting the Shoei to be more quiet than my Scorpion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Does the internal sun visor block ventilation from the vent intake that sits above it.
Twowheels: No, I have not noticed any difference in the airflow when the sunvisor is retracted. Very good airflow through out the helmet - you really feel a mowhawk of air pass inside the Shoei when all vents are open.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in