Shad SH36 pillions - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Shad SH36 pillions

Have been looking to get pillions and a top box for the Versys 650. Wanted an LT, but didn't have much luck. Ultimately I bought a leftover 2015 Versys w/o the bags, thinking I'd just order them up from Kawi. I got the parts break down: $1900.00 for everything I'd need to do the color matched pillions and top box from the Kawasaki line...uh...NO!
Determined to do better, I found a set of LT bags being sold for $450-ish on eBay (vs. the 795.00 retail). I figured that was a start, until I saw the Shad SH 36s. They're bigger, still compliment the lines of the bike (over-all...at least they don't clash with the lines), and the mounting system (3P) doesn't leave a big, dopey-looking framework exposed with the bags off. All this, and the bags WITH mounting system were listed with a "buy it now" price of $599.00. The starting bid was 435, so I figured "why not?" and bid the minimum. Much to my surprise, mine was the only bid! Now I have a set of pillions enroute to my house, and they cost less than half what the factory stuff would!
I'll let you know how I like them when they arrive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 09:34 PM

Garage
Took the side cases off my V-1000LT as soon as i got the bike from the dealership. They will stay in the spare room collecting dust. I just like to use a Topcase. For that i have a Givi E-55

Givi E-55 Topcase by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 12:25 PM

Smile "unbiased" reply

Shad SH36 with the 3P system are nice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg may12_2016.jpg (71.5 KB, 152 views)

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 12:48 PM

Garage
Yea those look really nice! And very inexpensive.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well the bags came today. They were slightly discounted due to supposedly being used for display purposes. The mounting kit had never been installed on anything, and I don't think the bags had ever left the box! The install was a bit of a pain, as the instructions are vague AT BEST, but I got them on in about 1.5 hours. I had to trim some of the black plastic on the tail section to help clear the bracketry and have the body work still line up properly. Once installed, the brackets don't look terrible, and the bags match the body lines pretty well, tho the whole thing does kinda make the bike look a little "portly" from behind.

Bike has some "junk in its trunk?"

The bags seem well constructed, and the 3P mounting system is easy to use, and very solid. The bags have a little shelf on the bottom to keep your stuff from falling out when you open the bag.

[IMG]http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee511/mentolio/image_35.jpeg[IMG]

The set also came with a matching third lock cylinder for when I get my top box, which will most likely also be a Shad. The lock cylinder locks the folding handle as well as the box release and lid release in the down position, so the box "lid" will be locked whenever the bag is locked to the bike. I forgot to take a pic with the bags off to show how it looks without them, and will try to remedy this tomorrow.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 10:30 PM

Garage
Those are nice, and good value. What is the total width now across the back of the bike including bags?

Always trust your cape.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 11:18 PM

Garage
Did they come with a "wide load" sign? Just bustin your chops, they actually look pretty good.

Cheers,

Charlie

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry, didn't think to measure the width. Let's just say that I might t be adding one of those little rotating yellow lights Here are pics of the brackets, sans bags:

Bulkier than stock (obviously), but not as bad as others I've seen.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
...have I mentioned how much I love this bike?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Took the V for it's first ride with bags. Did a little over 100 miles of highway and back roads. I had them equally (as possible) loaded with rain gear, water bottle, and the like. This is my first bike with bags of any kind, and now I know why they say "do not exceed 75 mph." There were a few times at 80-ish that I felt the bike get a little squirrelly when passing a larger truck, etc. like air brakes suddenly popping out. Other than that, I would forget they were there, until it was time to park or navigate tight spaces. I would recommend these bags to someone looking for an inexpensive alternative to the Kawi accessory bags/Givi/etc. When you buy the side bags they come with three lock cylinders, so you will have a matching key when you decide to buy the top box. I have not yet tested their weather resistance, but I have no doubt they will do just as well as other offerings that are not "top opening" boxes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode