2Likes
  • 1 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By AlaskaJeff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
More cheap Chinese made farkles

This time it is a winner for under $10. Shows voltage and ambient temperature and just plugs in 12v socket. The rest of the time it lives in my tank bag or glove compartment.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0707162005.jpg (31.4 KB, 823 views)
File Type: jpg 0707162006.jpg (41.1 KB, 77 views)
unstable_rider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
For $10? Where did you get it, and does it come in a Fahrenheit temp version for us NON metric US types?
unstable_rider likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I wish they just put useful things built into those two side dash areas. Both voltage/temp, a REAL gear shift would be nice, and a larger mph number.

2015 Versys 650 ABS

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
$5.30 CDN with shipping

Ebay item 161843938322

There is also a fahrenheit version if you search as well as one with just a thermometer and a USB outlet although I've found USB adapters plugged into the 12V dash port on my bike interfere with the handle bar movement at right turn lock. At right turn lock this is just millimeters from touching my clutch cable.

Ebay also sells the 12V dash outlets cheap too although the Bikemaster brand model I bought is higher quality and still a bargain.

The only downsides are you have to shield it with your hand to read it in direct sunlight and if your outlet is not switched on a relay you will have to remove it to keep from running down the battery when parked for any period of time. The thermometer is very accurate as the short wire seen in the picture is the remote temp sensor and it is just long enough to dangle the sensor in the turbulent air coming under the dash.

Maximum voltage on my bike is usually 13.8v while charging at 5000 RPM and the static battery is about 12.3v-12.4v most times. Is this normal as a deep cycle boat battery I had was often 13v fully charged and static and a prior bike would reach 14.2V while charging?

Last edited by twowheels; 07-08-2016 at 09:09 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 10:16 AM

12.7V should be a fully charged, at rest 12V battery, most active chargers throw like 14.4-14.8V and float chargers hang out in the mid 13's. If your at rest bike battery is showing 12.3V, it may very well be nearing end of life.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
12.7V should be a fully charged, at rest 12V battery, most active chargers throw like 14.4-14.8V and float chargers hang out in the mid 13's. If your at rest bike battery is showing 12.3V, it may very well be nearing end of life.
REALLY?

My battery (at rest) has been near 12.3-12.5V for 2 years now..........
Unless the power leads are connected directly to the battery there will be some voltage drop. A .4-.5 drop is acceptable in MY book. As long as it starts the bike without any trouble, no worries. If it aint broke don't fix it.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:46 PM

Oh no doubt on it keeping on with the keeping on, and .4 or .5 is fine, but at some point there will be another .1 where it won't be ok, especially if it's super cold or super warm. A 12.3v battery is a pretty discharged battery---it's not the percentage of the whole, it's the percentage of the operating delta, and you're at the bottom of it.

Edit: Actually, on these little engines, I don't know when it will be come a problem. I know on boats, and in cars, a battery below about 12.1-12.2 won't turn it over, and on LED driven flashlights, you'll stop getting light pretty fast at .5v below "fully charged".
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 07:14 AM

Regarding the gear indicator, does anyone know if the OEM accessory one (which is supposed to be specific for 2015+ models only) can be tinkered to work with my 2013? It's a simple electronic device so it should be workable; just want to know if anyone here has tried it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode