• 1 Post By Cheftyler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
$20 Go Pro clone camera

$24 CDN Go Pro / SJ4000 Clone from Wish/Geek

Summary
This camera kit was actually $24 CDN shipped to Canada, so guessing about $20 USD shipped to mainland US. I've since figured out it is a clone of an SJ4000 sports camera. It looks identical except it has no brand markings. Geek/Wish include the same camera in many different kits, the difference between the kits being included accessories like mounts and other stuff. In summary this camera is a phenomenal deal at the price but don't expect fantastic video quality either. See sample

Last edited by twowheels; 07-09-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I've got one of these clones and the quality is just frustrating. I've since given it to the kids as a toy.
I'd recommend the Firefly 6s/6c. I'm very happy with the results.

West coast is best coast!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My motovlog

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I have a $50 one from amazon. It does well, but not as well as the GoPro.

My Versys Travels:

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 06:31 AM

Garage
Before I bought a gopro I bought a cheap camera. I figured I didn't need a fancy camera, it should all be close to the same quality. It wasn't. It was so crap tastic, I sent it back, and it was about $100.

They all might be HD and 1080 on paper, and they are. But the difference is how it handles the light, stabilizing, focusing, and processing those frames per second.

Your editied video looks like you just got done watching a bunch of Tarantino movies

2015 Versys 650 ABS
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 07:02 AM

I can give you a better technical breakdown, but in ANY camera, the thing to look for is the chipset, and most of the chinese knockoffs are doing some funky stuff and using chipsets that are nowhere near the quality of the good cameras. In particular, most of them double frames to get to the framerate of choice, so like a 24fps cam is 12fps with each frame doubled to hit 24, 60fps is either 2x30 or 4x15.

If you want a FABULOUS camera, check out the Xiaomi Yi, just be careful where you buy it. Amazon is safe, as is gearbest and banggood. Uses the same chipset as the GoPro Hero 3+ and it's actually unlocked so you can fiddle with the firmware if you're so inclined. Most days you can be in them under $65. 1080p60fps or [email protected], wifi, bluetooth, etc etc.

Basically all of Xiaomi's stuff is great, fwiw.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:38 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I would be tempted to send that camera back because l've never seen such poor quality!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 09:04 AM

Garage
And why does it look like a cellphone vid taken vertically?
Tomasama likes this.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheftyler View Post
And why does it look like a cellphone vid taken vertically?
I don't think cellphones provide such bad quality vid's do they??
Here's one l did from my steamed up truck just the other day with my hand held (sorry officer) cellphone......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXEqIm4MTnE
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 11:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
I don't think cellphones provide such bad quality vid's do they??
Here's one l did from my steamed up truck just the other day with my hand held (sorry officer) cellphone......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXEqIm4MTnE
True, though I've not seen a camera that does the horrid vertical letterbox crap that you get when people take video incorrectly on their phones.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 09:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
If you want a FABULOUS camera, check out the Xiaomi Yi, just be careful where you buy it. Amazon is safe, as is gearbest and banggood. Uses the same chipset as the GoPro Hero 3+ and it's actually unlocked so you can fiddle with the firmware if you're so inclined. Most days you can be in them under $65. 1080p60fps or [email protected], wifi, bluetooth, etc etc.

Basically all of Xiaomi's stuff is great, fwiw.
Do they have an amazon store? Or do you have a preferred amazon seller?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkynrk View Post
Do they have an amazon store? Or do you have a preferred amazon seller?
Wow it has really gone up in price at amazon! This one is legit.

They are selling the all black version now too...that's nice.

Here's a video I made with it last year, still fiddling out some encode settings.

And underwater.

(Make sure to tick quality to 1080p60)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Doh! It appears there was a very transparent peel away over the lens window on the waterproof box, that was responsible for the initial terrible video quality. Video quality is still not fantastic but is improved. Video was shot at 30 fps and 1080p.

Noticing Princess Auto (Harbor Freight in Canada) has this identical camera in their flyer from $89.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-09-2016 at 03:07 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 08:23 AM

Garage
I'm a tight wad when it comes to buying some things, but action cameras is one of those things I would recommend spending the money on and getting a reputable one. I use my son's GoPro when I mountain bike and kayak, and the quality of video and the durability of the unit are top notch. A lot of things are truly "you get what you pay for" and action cameras are in that category.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode