Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

2Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By zirconx

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2016, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Versys Duffle/Dry Bag Attachment Help Needed

I would like to attach a couple of dry/duffle bags to the rear seat area of my 2009 Versys and have seen some pictures on here of peoples bike configured like this.

Do I need to install a platform or mounting hardware of some type to support them? They seem like something that would need to be pretty secure since they could slide around.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2016, 01:06 PM

Garage
Do you have passenger grab rails?

Arno straps, ROK straps, and cargo net.

Look at links in my signature to see how I did it.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Here's how I added a waterproof bag holding the tent, sleeping bag and mat, to a Gen 1 w/ a few ROK Straps. NO rack.

Serx likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Old 07-01-2016, 02:37 PM

Garage
as above... attach with straps right over the seat. I have one that looks something like this one...

https://www.rei.com/product/814230/s...h-duffle-large

holds the house (tent, bag, mat, ground cloth) plus pair of shoes, hatchet, couple bottles, and more. being able to open the thing the long way makes it easy to stuff & access. I have other bags... this one is the easiest to use

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
Old 07-01-2016, 03:07 PM

Garage

Sorry, no good close-ups, but you can see a strap in this pic coming straight down the front to the trellis frame. I have four straps that clip to mount points on the dry bag. the other ends are just loops. So it's just a simple matter of pulling the clip end thru the loop around any mounting point. Easy wear on the finish, secure and simple. I se the trellis at the front and the Givi side rack cross bar at the rear.

The bag just sits on the seat. My Adcox seat is pretty slippery and that still works just fine. I would never use bungee cords. I never have, but I've seen other riders struggle with gear slipping and shifting all around under bunjees.

Always trust your cape.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks to everyone for the good feedback and photos.

I will be getting some straps and trying out my dry bags with some test loads so see how they handle.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:18 PM

Garage
Rok straps are great, and I would also recommend a motorcycle-specific drybag. Not the ones for kayaks etc. they sell at sporting goods stores. The motorcycle ones will have D-rings and straps you can use to mount it more securely.

I just ordered and received this Oxford 30L bag in white, to match my white Versys. But I have't tried it out yet and probably won't for some time.
Oxford T30 Roll Bag - RevZilla

Serx likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in