The trick to new gloves - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The trick to new gloves

Hey folks, I've got a question about gloves.
My old gloves have started to get holes in them therefore are due for retirement however they fit like a second skin and are super comfortable. I don't even notice I'm wearing them.
I got new gloves and they feel like I've got shoe boxes on my hands.
So question is, are there any ways to quickly break-in new gloves?
I suppose I could spend 24 hours cooking, eating, reading, thumbing my phone and picking my nose with the gloves on but any other alternatives would be welcome.
Cheers!
unstable_rider likes this.

West coast is best coast!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My motovlog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 08:31 AM

Soak, some people use fabric softner, then ride until dry. As they dry, work any tight spots. level out and pound any seams that annoy. Can flip inside out to trim any extra stuff.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 09:04 AM

Garage
Not all gloves break in. Leather will. Many (most?) synthetic materials won't break in much at all.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 03:34 PM

Garage
Gloves are like boots; this myth about breaking in is because they're junk. Don't buy gloves that don't feel good from the store. If you buy a new pair of jeans that are too tight will they break in? No.

There's a difference between leather products that can 'stretch' a little, and being too big, stiff, bulky, terribly tight, or otherwise.

I'd go buy new gloves. But then again, I'm still wearing my textile speed and strength gloves with a right thumb that's too small.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 12:43 PM

Garage
I have large hands with very long fingers, so it is a challenge to find gloves that fit. I bought my current leather summer gloves at a bike show, where I had opportunities to try on many. I thought that they fit well but after the first ride, they felt tight where there is an elastic sewn into the glove between the back of my hands and the wrist.

Solution- I turned them inside out and cut a small slit through the fabric that lines the leather, I snipped the elastic and left it inside.
Now they fit like a glove.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Yesterday I was riding in fairly hot weather. I had both my Note3 and a Garmin running-- tracking on some neat rural gravel. My gloved fingers work ok for the most part on the Garmin, but not as well on the phone.

My "favorite" gloves are pretty well worn. I think I am going to chop some of fingers tips off on the left glove for running the GPS stuff on hot days and keep em on the bike for slow speed gravel-navigation where I am either "mapping" or chasing someone else's tracks. I need to break in some new gloves I have too, but have avoided them cause they are a tad stiff-ish.

I know they got some now where the glove finger tips are supposed to be "screen sensitive" but have not priced any.

Ps: I don't run two screened devices at highway speeds, it's too distracting. But it's handy when creating and following routes on gravel where you don't want to miss a turn, wauypoint or point of interest.

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 04:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
My "favorite" gloves are pretty well worn. I think I am going to chop some of fingers tips off on the left glove for running the GPS stuff on hot days and keep em on the bike for slow speed gravel-navigation where I am either "mapping" or chasing someone else's tracks. I need to break in some new gloves I have too, but have avoided them cause they are a tad stiff-ish.

I know they got some now where the glove finger tips are supposed to be "screen sensitive" but have not priced any.
In regards to chopping the finger tips off gloves, and the new "screen sensitive" gloves; I can't vouch for their "screen sensitivity" but I'd bet the "gravel sensitivity" is exceptional. Have fun with that and be sure to give us a hand written review of the dexterity, the screen sensitivity and crash worthiness.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 06:16 PM

Garage
Look up Lee Parks Deer Skin Gloves.

On a trip, I carry 4 or 5 pair of gloves and swap them out as the need arises.

I can't ride without. Just doesn't feel right.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasama View Post
Hey folks, I've got a question about gloves.
My old gloves have started to get holes in them therefore are due for retirement however they fit like a second skin and are super comfortable. I don't even notice I'm wearing them.
I got new gloves and they feel like I've got shoe boxes on my hands.
So question is, are there any ways to quickly break-in new gloves?
I suppose I could spend 24 hours cooking, eating, reading, thumbing my phone and picking my nose with the gloves on but any other alternatives would be welcome.
Cheers!
Definitely dont wear them while doing other stuff. You want them to break in the most comfortable way while you are using the throttle. If they break in in the wrong areas you could make them more uncomfortable.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 06:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Look up Lee Parks Deer Skin Gloves.

On a trip, I carry 4 or 5 pair of gloves and swap them out as the need arises.

I can't ride without. Just doesn't feel right.
Deer skin gloves are nice and soft and comfortable. Never thought about them as a riding glove.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 09:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSchaeferPants View Post
Deer skin gloves are nice and soft and comfortable. Never thought about them as a riding glove.
Gloves - Lee Parks Design

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 01:36 PM

No need to cut finger tips off. There is an awesome nail polish like product called nanotips that you apply to glove fingertips and it turns them into touchscreen capable gloves.
NANOTIPS Black - for Leather, Rubber, and Gortex. Transofmrs Any Gloves into Touchscreen Compatible Smart Gloves. For iPhone, iPad, and Android devices. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R1OSZM8..._pexCxbADNX08B
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSchaeferPants View Post
Gloves are like boots; this myth about breaking in is because they're junk. Don't buy gloves that don't feel good from the store....
If you find a pair you really like, buy another exact pair right away and switch them off. then you can always throw a pair in the laundry and not have to worry about having some to wear.

Worst problem with some fabric gloves is the seam on the fingers is under the nail. If you buy online, call and ask about the sizing. I wear a medium long, and when I got my last pairs they told me they ran real small and they sent me XL's which fit perfectly. It was an XL made in Vietnam. Also, buy more than one pair and return the ones you don't like.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 03:32 PM

Garage
I have a decent pair of held gloves. The felt tight for the first couple months but now feel great. Don't buy gloves too tight. They only loosen a bit with time and perspiration. Wetting in cold water but not soaking might help if you wear them on the bike after soaking.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 07:54 AM

I picked up a pair of Klim Short Induction gloves yesterday. And they were a LOT more than I planned to spend on a pair of gloves at $130.00 for the short ones BUT theu "Called to Me". I normally wear a large BUT no two companies use the same sizing system and they were so small I couldn't even get them on maybe an Extra large then? NOPE so a 2X? yep fit great. Fingers were a bit tight at first but by the time I got home all was good. Like has been said it they don't feel right in the store they never will fit right and cheap glove never will feel as "Right" as a good glove. A good pair will last for years if you take care of them and a cheap pair might make it through a season if you are lucky.

I have few pairs of gloves around here that "Almost" fit that I can't stand to wear anymore. But I bought a pair of Fieldsheer leather gauntlets years ago that I love and I think when they finely wear out I'll cry as they fit that well but are no longer made.

One bad thing about Cow hide leather if it seems to go to pot when wet. I hate wet hands when riding so invested in a pair of over glove for rain. they are cheap, $13.00, and are more or less an pair of mittens made of water proof material you wear over your riding gloves. I like these as I never found a pair of rain glove I liked and more leak anyway. I have used these in a driving rain and road for a couple of hours with more leaks but you will end up with sweaty hands.

Rain over gloves. lobster style

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I picked up a pair of Klim Short Induction gloves yesterday. And they were a LOT more than I planned to spend on a pair of gloves at $130.00 for the short ones BUT theu "Called to Me". I normally wear a large BUT no two companies use the same sizing system and they were so small I couldn't even get them on maybe an Extra large then? NOPE so a 2X? yep fit great. Fingers were a bit tight at first but by the time I got home all was good. Like has been said it they don't feel right in the store they never will fit right and cheap glove never will feel as "Right" as a good glove. A good pair will last for years if you take care of them and a cheap pair might make it through a season if you are lucky.

I have few pairs of gloves around here that "Almost" fit that I can't stand to wear anymore. But I bought a pair of Fieldsheer leather gauntlets years ago that I love and I think when they finely wear out I'll cry as they fit that well but are no longer made.

One bad thing about Cow hide leather if it seems to go to pot when wet. I hate wet hands when riding so invested in a pair of over glove for rain. they are cheap, $13.00, and are more or less an pair of mittens made of water proof material you wear over your riding gloves. I like these as I never found a pair of rain glove I liked and more leak anyway. I have used these in a driving rain and road for a couple of hours with more leaks but you will end up with sweaty hands.

Rain over gloves. lobster style

Missed ya on the ride Saturday. Figured you might stop in with the Enfield. I got to lead a lost sheep home to burgerdom. The guy who rides tail had another ride to attend so he slapped the directions on my tank and away we went.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 08:34 PM

I thought the ride was next weekend. My bad.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 09:06 PM

Garage
My tight fitting gloves stretched out a very small bit over time in the tight spots and are now in their second year. That said I don't think gloves break in, just perhaps stretch a bit in the tight spots. Soak them in 70F/20C water then wear them on the bike for a bit and let them air dry. This might take the place of a few cycles of wear.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 05:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
My tight fitting gloves stretched out a very small bit over time in the tight spots and are now in their second year. That said I don't think gloves break in, just perhaps stretch a bit in the tight spots. Soak them in 70F/20C water then wear them on the bike for a bit and let them air dry. This might take the place of a few cycles of wear.
I agree - my gloves usually feel better after being caught in a good downpour and dried while still being worn.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
I have large hands with very long fingers, so it is a challenge to find gloves that fit.
I believe Held makes short and long finger variants of some of their gloves. They also do sizing by hand circumference which (on paper) should ensure a better fit. You should check them out next time you're glove shopping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
gloves, new gloves

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode