The trick to new gloves - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Tomasama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 103
Garage
The trick to new gloves

Hey folks, I've got a question about gloves.
My old gloves have started to get holes in them therefore are due for retirement however they fit like a second skin and are super comfortable. I don't even notice I'm wearing them.
I got new gloves and they feel like I've got shoe boxes on my hands.
So question is, are there any ways to quickly break-in new gloves?
I suppose I could spend 24 hours cooking, eating, reading, thumbing my phone and picking my nose with the gloves on but any other alternatives would be welcome.
Cheers!
unstable_rider likes this.

West coast is best coast!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My motovlog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tomasama is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 08:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: 50 miles W of Deals Gap
Posts: 99
Soak, some people use fabric softner, then ride until dry. As they dry, work any tight spots. level out and pound any seams that annoy. Can flip inside out to trim any extra stuff.
toaster404 is offline  
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 09:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 273
Garage
Not all gloves break in. Leather will. Many (most?) synthetic materials won't break in much at all.
zirconx is offline  
 
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 03:34 PM
Member
 
MrSchaeferPants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 75
Garage
Gloves are like boots; this myth about breaking in is because they're junk. Don't buy gloves that don't feel good from the store. If you buy a new pair of jeans that are too tight will they break in? No.

There's a difference between leather products that can 'stretch' a little, and being too big, stiff, bulky, terribly tight, or otherwise.

I'd go buy new gloves. But then again, I'm still wearing my textile speed and strength gloves with a right thumb that's too small.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
MrSchaeferPants is offline  
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 12:43 PM
Member
 
Smiley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Elgin County SW Ontario
Posts: 1,123
Garage
I have large hands with very long fingers, so it is a challenge to find gloves that fit. I bought my current leather summer gloves at a bike show, where I had opportunities to try on many. I thought that they fit well but after the first ride, they felt tight where there is an elastic sewn into the glove between the back of my hands and the wrist.

Solution- I turned them inside out and cut a small slit through the fabric that lines the leather, I snipped the elastic and left it inside.
Now they fit like a glove.
Smiley is offline  
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 735
Yesterday I was riding in fairly hot weather. I had both my Note3 and a Garmin running-- tracking on some neat rural gravel. My gloved fingers work ok for the most part on the Garmin, but not as well on the phone.

My "favorite" gloves are pretty well worn. I think I am going to chop some of fingers tips off on the left glove for running the GPS stuff on hot days and keep em on the bike for slow speed gravel-navigation where I am either "mapping" or chasing someone else's tracks. I need to break in some new gloves I have too, but have avoided them cause they are a tad stiff-ish.

I know they got some now where the glove finger tips are supposed to be "screen sensitive" but have not priced any.

Ps: I don't run two screened devices at highway speeds, it's too distracting. But it's handy when creating and following routes on gravel where you don't want to miss a turn, wauypoint or point of interest.





unstable_rider is offline  
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 04:31 PM
Member
 
Smiley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Elgin County SW Ontario
Posts: 1,123
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
My "favorite" gloves are pretty well worn. I think I am going to chop some of fingers tips off on the left glove for running the GPS stuff on hot days and keep em on the bike for slow speed gravel-navigation where I am either "mapping" or chasing someone else's tracks. I need to break in some new gloves I have too, but have avoided them cause they are a tad stiff-ish.

I know they got some now where the glove finger tips are supposed to be "screen sensitive" but have not priced any.
In regards to chopping the finger tips off gloves, and the new "screen sensitive" gloves; I can't vouch for their "screen sensitivity" but I'd bet the "gravel sensitivity" is exceptional. Have fun with that and be sure to give us a hand written review of the dexterity, the screen sensitivity and crash worthiness.
Smiley is offline  
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 06:16 PM
Member
 
twowheeladdict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,197
Garage
Look up Lee Parks Deer Skin Gloves.

On a trip, I carry 4 or 5 pair of gloves and swap them out as the need arises.

I can't ride without. Just doesn't feel right.

My Versys Travels:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
twowheeladdict is offline  
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 03:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasama View Post
Hey folks, I've got a question about gloves.
My old gloves have started to get holes in them therefore are due for retirement however they fit like a second skin and are super comfortable. I don't even notice I'm wearing them.
I got new gloves and they feel like I've got shoe boxes on my hands.
So question is, are there any ways to quickly break-in new gloves?
I suppose I could spend 24 hours cooking, eating, reading, thumbing my phone and picking my nose with the gloves on but any other alternatives would be welcome.
Cheers!
Definitely dont wear them while doing other stuff. You want them to break in the most comfortable way while you are using the throttle. If they break in in the wrong areas you could make them more uncomfortable.
CreatureCore is offline  
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 06:41 AM
Member
 
MrSchaeferPants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 75
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Look up Lee Parks Deer Skin Gloves.

On a trip, I carry 4 or 5 pair of gloves and swap them out as the need arises.

I can't ride without. Just doesn't feel right.
Deer skin gloves are nice and soft and comfortable. Never thought about them as a riding glove.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
MrSchaeferPants is offline  
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 09:19 AM
Member
 
twowheeladdict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,197
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSchaeferPants View Post
Deer skin gloves are nice and soft and comfortable. Never thought about them as a riding glove.
Gloves - Lee Parks Design

My Versys Travels:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
twowheeladdict is offline  
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 01:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: new york city
Posts: 19
No need to cut finger tips off. There is an awesome nail polish like product called nanotips that you apply to glove fingertips and it turns them into touchscreen capable gloves.
NANOTIPS Black - for Leather, Rubber, and Gortex. Transofmrs Any Gloves into Touchscreen Compatible Smart Gloves. For iPhone, iPad, and Android devices. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R1OSZM8..._pexCxbADNX08B
danibalagan is offline  
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 02:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSchaeferPants View Post
Gloves are like boots; this myth about breaking in is because they're junk. Don't buy gloves that don't feel good from the store....
If you find a pair you really like, buy another exact pair right away and switch them off. then you can always throw a pair in the laundry and not have to worry about having some to wear.

Worst problem with some fabric gloves is the seam on the fingers is under the nail. If you buy online, call and ask about the sizing. I wear a medium long, and when I got my last pairs they told me they ran real small and they sent me XL's which fit perfectly. It was an XL made in Vietnam. Also, buy more than one pair and return the ones you don't like.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
rayj is offline  
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 03:32 PM
Member
 
twowheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,329
Garage
I have a decent pair of held gloves. The felt tight for the first couple months but now feel great. Don't buy gloves too tight. They only loosen a bit with time and perspiration. Wetting in cold water but not soaking might help if you wear them on the bike after soaking.
twowheels is offline  
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 07:54 AM
Member
 
Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,647
I picked up a pair of Klim Short Induction gloves yesterday. And they were a LOT more than I planned to spend on a pair of gloves at $130.00 for the short ones BUT theu "Called to Me". I normally wear a large BUT no two companies use the same sizing system and they were so small I couldn't even get them on maybe an Extra large then? NOPE so a 2X? yep fit great. Fingers were a bit tight at first but by the time I got home all was good. Like has been said it they don't feel right in the store they never will fit right and cheap glove never will feel as "Right" as a good glove. A good pair will last for years if you take care of them and a cheap pair might make it through a season if you are lucky.

I have few pairs of gloves around here that "Almost" fit that I can't stand to wear anymore. But I bought a pair of Fieldsheer leather gauntlets years ago that I love and I think when they finely wear out I'll cry as they fit that well but are no longer made.

One bad thing about Cow hide leather if it seems to go to pot when wet. I hate wet hands when riding so invested in a pair of over glove for rain. they are cheap, $13.00, and are more or less an pair of mittens made of water proof material you wear over your riding gloves. I like these as I never found a pair of rain glove I liked and more leak anyway. I have used these in a driving rain and road for a couple of hours with more leaks but you will end up with sweaty hands.

Rain over gloves. lobster style


Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2012 650 Versys
Time is offline  
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 07:57 PM
Member
 
saddlebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Eutopia
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I picked up a pair of Klim Short Induction gloves yesterday. And they were a LOT more than I planned to spend on a pair of gloves at $130.00 for the short ones BUT theu "Called to Me". I normally wear a large BUT no two companies use the same sizing system and they were so small I couldn't even get them on maybe an Extra large then? NOPE so a 2X? yep fit great. Fingers were a bit tight at first but by the time I got home all was good. Like has been said it they don't feel right in the store they never will fit right and cheap glove never will feel as "Right" as a good glove. A good pair will last for years if you take care of them and a cheap pair might make it through a season if you are lucky.

I have few pairs of gloves around here that "Almost" fit that I can't stand to wear anymore. But I bought a pair of Fieldsheer leather gauntlets years ago that I love and I think when they finely wear out I'll cry as they fit that well but are no longer made.

One bad thing about Cow hide leather if it seems to go to pot when wet. I hate wet hands when riding so invested in a pair of over glove for rain. they are cheap, $13.00, and are more or less an pair of mittens made of water proof material you wear over your riding gloves. I like these as I never found a pair of rain glove I liked and more leak anyway. I have used these in a driving rain and road for a couple of hours with more leaks but you will end up with sweaty hands.

Rain over gloves. lobster style

Missed ya on the ride Saturday. Figured you might stop in with the Enfield. I got to lead a lost sheep home to burgerdom. The guy who rides tail had another ride to attend so he slapped the directions on my tank and away we went.
saddlebag is offline  
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 08:34 PM
Member
 
Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,647
I thought the ride was next weekend. My bad.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2012 650 Versys
Time is offline  
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 09:06 PM
Member
 
twowheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,329
Garage
My tight fitting gloves stretched out a very small bit over time in the tight spots and are now in their second year. That said I don't think gloves break in, just perhaps stretch a bit in the tight spots. Soak them in 70F/20C water then wear them on the bike for a bit and let them air dry. This might take the place of a few cycles of wear.
twowheels is offline  
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 05:43 PM
Member
 
bigaussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 842
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
My tight fitting gloves stretched out a very small bit over time in the tight spots and are now in their second year. That said I don't think gloves break in, just perhaps stretch a bit in the tight spots. Soak them in 70F/20C water then wear them on the bike for a bit and let them air dry. This might take the place of a few cycles of wear.
I agree - my gloves usually feel better after being caught in a good downpour and dried while still being worn.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.


"The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bigaussie is offline  
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 05:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Eastern Kentucky
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
I have large hands with very long fingers, so it is a challenge to find gloves that fit.
I believe Held makes short and long finger variants of some of their gloves. They also do sizing by hand circumference which (on paper) should ensure a better fit. You should check them out next time you're glove shopping.
groundhogday is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
gloves, new gloves

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome