The trick to new gloves - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
I agree - my gloves usually feel better after being caught in a good downpour and dried while still being worn.
To get leather riding gloves to fit even better, some guys will soak their new gloves in a mixture of water and rubbing alcohol (70/30), with a few drops of dishwashing soap mixed. Then ride until dry.

I plan on trying this method soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
To get leather riding gloves to fit even better, some guys will soak their new gloves in a mixture of water and rubbing alcohol (70/30), with a few drops of dishwashing soap mixed. Then ride until dry.

I plan on trying this method soon.
I PM'd trialsguy, but have not heard back yet. Has anybody tried the above or any other "quick stretch" method. I have some expensive Alpinestars that are finally coming around to sizing after about 10 rides. Bought a less expensive pair like them a size larger to hope to wear some thin winter liners under them. Even these are tight and I would be willing to sacrifice them on some sort of quick cure. The next larger size (3XL) is not available in any of the gloves color schemes, so would be glad to experiment on them. Thanks for any ideas.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 04:01 PM

Garage
Looking back to the first page of this thread, there was mention of deer hide gloves. A couple of weeks ago I dropped into a TSC store in London and found deer hide gloves in three levels of quality, all from the same company.

Trying them on was like stepping into Goldilocks and the Three Bears: The cheapest pair was very thin and flimsy, the second was a grade thicker but the same. The third pair was just right-thick soft hide and fit me like... well, a glove.
Not very long in the gauntlet, but I bought them for hot weather riding gloves and for driving gloves in winter.

Sticker said $38: sold! When I got to the check out the lady tells me they're on sale for $28. Win!! I would have bought two pairs but there was only one XXL.

If you have never worn deer hide gloves try them on some time. Extremely soft and the dexterity is superb. They are not armoured but there were occasions this past summer when it was so incredibly hot that I was tempted to ride without my armoured riding gloves with the long gauntlets.

Last edited by Smiley; 12-03-2018 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Clarity

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
I PM'd trialsguy, but have not heard back yet. Has anybody tried the above or any other "quick stretch" method. I have some expensive Alpinestars that are finally coming around to sizing after about 10 rides. Bought a less expensive pair like them a size larger to hope to wear some thin winter liners under them. Even these are tight and I would be willing to sacrifice them on some sort of quick cure. The next larger size (3XL) is not available in any of the gloves color schemes, so would be glad to experiment on them. Thanks for any ideas.
Cjc,

No, I have not gotten around to trying the rubbing alcohol glove soak, yet. Maybe next year.

I did buy another pair of summer riding gloves, though. They fit better than the ones I was going to soak.

Trialsguy
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 10:58 PM

Garage
It is bad practice to leave your gloves at home, or to wear non-motorcycle gloves. In the heat of summer I may sometimes leave my jacket at home, but never my boots, gloves or riding pants. Buy some vented motorcycle gloves. The first thing you do when falling is put your hands out.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Look up Lee Parks Deer Skin Gloves.

On a trip, I carry 4 or 5 pair of gloves and swap them out as the need arises.

I can't ride without. Just doesn't feel right.

OK I'll bite ... Hownahell can the need arise for fourfive pairs of gloves?

I took two pair cross country for a month. One pair old elk skin ropers and one pair rain gauntlets. Bare handed in the hot deserts. Ropers inside gauntlets for cold mountain passes.

Anyhoo... I guess there's gloveheads just like anything else.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 07:11 AM

Thompson's SnoSeal rubbed in good and heated with a hair dryer.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
It is bad practice to leave your gloves at home, or to wear non-motorcycle gloves. In the heat of summer I may sometimes leave my jacket at home, but never my boots, gloves or riding pants. Buy some vented motorcycle gloves. The first thing you do when falling is put your hands out.

Even better practice -- don't fall and you won't have to put your hands out.
Took me a while to learn that; but once I did, I could leave the gloves home.

post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSchaeferPants View Post
... Don't buy gloves that don't feel good from the store...
^^^This. The last time I bought gloves I probably spent close to an hour at CG trying on every make/model/size and when I found the perfect glove I went and grabbed a clothing rod as a test... Nope, huge stiff/sore spot on the knuckle. Back to square 1. Settled on a little tight pair of Reax Castor's. Full leather and have broken in and stretched to a perfect fit. I am a little dissapointed in the lack of wind proof in the finger tips but other than that I love them.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 07:18 PM

As far as leather,Im an old-school guy and remember leather everything. I still have some mink oil if I want to soften leather,like gloves that need to be formed to your hands. Good waterproofing too.Maybe the poor minks are getting a break now,some other similar product used nowadays. Dont use mink oil on cowboy boots though,for instance,unless you want them to get soft and saggy.Or suede,it will look oily.
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

after years of using Gloves, i have learnt one thinks- don't invest on expensive gloves and don't buy on line. Now i use cheap gloves and throw it away once it show of wear. I carry two pair for my riding and they are quite soft after a few rides as i test wear before purchase.
post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
AND FYI - the ONLY part of the body that CAN'T have skin-grafts - YOUR HANDS.

GREAT reason to wear gloves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmost View Post
OK I'll bite ... Hownahell can the need arise for fourfive pairs of gloves?....
When I rode across Canada in '17, and EVERY ride to Dawson City and "points-north", I carried SIX pairs of gloves:
1. normal for 'regular' weather days;
2. mesh for HOT days;
3. waterproof for 'gentle-showers';
4. WATERPROOF over-gloves (like those used while working w/ sewage) for RAIN++;
5. light gloves to wear inside #4; and
6. REALLY heavy ones for the COLD days!

And they ALL were used at one time or another!

-

OTOH - I had ONE (each) pair of cargo-shorts and jeans, and FOUR tee-shirts, so I did laundry as required.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
AND FYI - the ONLY part of the body that CAN'T have skin-grafts - YOUR HANDS.

GREAT reason to wear gloves!

Quote:
OK I'll bite ... Hownahell can the need arise for fourfive pairs of gloves?....
When I rode across Canada in '17, and EVERY ride to Dawson City and "points-north", I carried SIX pairs of gloves:
1. normal for 'regular' weather days;
2. mesh for HOT days;
3. waterproof for 'gentle-showers';
4. WATERPROOF over-gloves (like those used while working w/ sewage) for RAIN++;
5. light gloves to wear inside #4; and
6. REALLY heavy ones for the COLD days!

And they ALL were used at one time or another!

-

OTOH - I had ONE (each) pair of cargo-shorts and jeans, and FOUR tee-shirts, so I did laundry as required [these trips were as long as 31 days].

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 05:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
It is bad practice to leave your gloves at home, or to wear non-motorcycle gloves.
Apparently, you missed the part where I said that I was tempted to ride without my armoured gloves.

One miss-read line and I've poked the damn hornet's nest! For the record, I never ride without gloves.

But in extreme heat days of summer, they will be the sturdy deer hide gloves that I bought. 50+ years of riding tells me they will do fine.

Last edited by Smiley; 12-05-2018 at 05:12 PM.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 07:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
OK I'll bite ... Hownahell can the need arise for fourfive pairs of gloves?

I took two pair cross country for a month. One pair old elk skin ropers and one pair rain gauntlets. Bare handed in the hot deserts. Ropers inside gauntlets for cold mountain passes.

Anyhoo... I guess there's gloveheads just like anything else.
Mesh, Gore-tex, cold weather, race gauntlets. I might see it all in a cross country tour.

My Versys Travels:

post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 09:15 AM

I never woulda dreamt there were such critters as gloveheads.

Well I do like good gloves on a chilly day. But I'm not apt to tote more'n fit in my left pocket.

I like elk skin ropers.

post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 01:58 PM

Anyhoo... I guess there's gloveheads just like anything else.[/QUOTE]

Wow, "gloveheads", I love it. I am certainly one and would probably take it one step further and say I am an "armorhead". Pretty much the best money can buy in that category. I say that because when I show you what I have done with my new gloves, you are probably going to say - but you have compromised the crash protection of these gloves. Maybe; I am not sure. Maybe a little. My other pair more expensive then these took forever to loosen and even then are tight across the knuckles. Unfortunately my hands like my feet, the left of each is 1/2 size bigger than the right. I looked at them and said "this plastic, or I guess they call it TPU, can never stretch". So, I sliced thru the plastic with a micro saw to allow that piece to flex. It works perfect. Even the new gloves are completely comfortable now. And there is still a leather layer under the foam that shows through to protect me. So, GLOVEHEADS UNITE! and keep this very old thread going !!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glove adjustment.jpg (59.4 KB, 10 views)
quexpress likes this.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Good solution, Chuck!
zoojeeper likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
gloves, new gloves

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode