Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fly-Sig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Under Armor

No not the sweat shirt guys, these guys:

Armored protection under your jeans.

Bought a pair of their spandex pants and they are awesome. The armor actually feels like it would stay in place in the event of an accident. That's not really a big deal for me as I only wreck when I'm not wearing any. Anyway, it's not only a great concept, but really practical, comfortable, and affordable. Well done Bohn!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 08:18 AM

Cool looking products.

I wear Draggin' Jeans or armored overpants. I always wear an armored jacket. Depending on the mission, the Bohn stuff could be just the right solution.

Like the Bohn guy says, as we get older we start to think a lot more about protection. I now wear much better gloves than before, and real riding boots with decent protection. In the old days I thought I was being careful with a a decent helmet, a stylish thin leather jacket, and gloves if it was cold.

Yesterday a guy paired up with me for a few miles. He was wearing shorts, a t-shirt, no helmet, flimsy canvas sneakers with no socks, no gloves, no hearing protection. He did have on sunglasses, so that beats out another biker I saw last week who wasn't even wearing eye protection!
saddlebag likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 01:02 PM

I bought a pair of their pants some years back and am evidently too bony for them as the knee pads rotate to where they are of no value, even on bikes w/o rear sets. I'll make somebody a good deal on a size small Bohn under pants if anybody's interested.

...I am a Cafe Racer myself, on some days...and nights for that matter...and it is one of my finest addictions...
--- Hunter S. Thompson 1995 ---

2017 Triumph Street Scrambler, 2012 Triumph Thruxton, 2003 Ducati M800Sie, 2001 BMW R1100R-L, 1999 Kawasaki KLR650, 1996 Harley XLH Sportster S, 1972 Yamaha XS-2

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman77 View Post
I bought a pair of their pants some years back and am evidently too bony for them as the knee pads rotate to where they are of no value, even on bikes w/o rear sets. I'll make somebody a good deal on a size small Bohn under pants if anybody's interested.
I must have thick knees. They hug my knees like they were custom made for them. Most armored pants never have the padding in the right place for me and since it's loose, even if I put it there, in an accident it would fall out of place anyway.
What size are they? I might take them off your hands for my wife.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 07:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Cool looking products.

I wear Draggin' Jeans
Me too, they just released hydro waterproof pants and jacket that zip together.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 08:50 PM

In my opinion the under armor is a decent product. Have had a pair for several years now and have had no trouble with them at all. Armor stays in place (though I haven't crashed in them - yet). Did remove the tail bone armor however as it was uncomfortable. Anyway I already broke my tail bone once and it wasn't on a motorcycle. Note to self: camping can be painful.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 10:26 PM

Great post and important. For the poor-man's version, you can go to a sporting goods store, and get baseball sliding pants (hip and butt) and then get volleyball pads for the knees. Probably not as slide-worthy as plastic pads, but will give you decent protection for $50. You just gotta remember to put them on very ride, though most will fit under semi-baggy pants/jeans.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 04:47 PM

Sorry for taking so long to get back - they are a size small. For what it's worth, my knees are pretty bony & probably too small for me. I doubt they were worn 45 minutes. Let me know if you're still interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
I must have thick knees. They hug my knees like they were custom made for them. Most armored pants never have the padding in the right place for me and since it's loose, even if I put it there, in an accident it would fall out of place anyway.
What size are they? I might take them off your hands for my wife.

...I am a Cafe Racer myself, on some days...and nights for that matter...and it is one of my finest addictions...
--- Hunter S. Thompson 1995 ---

2017 Triumph Street Scrambler, 2012 Triumph Thruxton, 2003 Ducati M800Sie, 2001 BMW R1100R-L, 1999 Kawasaki KLR650, 1996 Harley XLH Sportster S, 1972 Yamaha XS-2
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Did remove the tail bone armor however as it was uncomfortable.
I took mine out too. I think that's a little overkill.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdawg View Post
Great post and important. For the poor-man's version, you can go to a sporting goods store, and get baseball sliding pants (hip and butt) and then get volleyball pads for the knees. Probably not as slide-worthy as plastic pads, but will give you decent protection for $50. You just gotta remember to put them on very ride, though most will fit under semi-baggy pants/jeans.
When I first wore them out for my wife, she got a good laugh. They look like Spandex pants. She thought I lost my gord and was out to become the first 220 lb ballerina.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode