Givi Tanklock tank bag review - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Givi Tanklock tank bag review

Recently purchased the Givi 3D603 tank bag and adapter ring. A similar but larger model is available at a slightly increased price.

Givi has given it's molded tank bag line the 3D name, since they have a more complex 3D shape and are made of flexible plastic, textured to look like fabric rather than fabric. This new technology gives it a more shaped/designed appearance and it holds it's shape when empty. It also uses Givi's proprietary tank ring attachment system.

Currently Cortech, Givi, and SW-Motech each have their own proprietary tank ring attachment systems. IMO the Givi attachment system is a superior design compared to the others. See YouTube videos to see how each compares. The Givi tank ring attachment mechanism means buying a separate adapter ring for your bike at about $17CDN/$13US additional cost to the tank bag itself. Attachment/disconnection is easy on the GIVI system and only 2 seconds so it is easy to refuel or carry the bag with you. There is a shoulder strap included with it for this purpose. Attachment is very secure and so far no rattles. The bag does not actually touch the tank so there is no way to scratch the tank.

Good
- innovative design and quality construction
- water proof without the included rain cover in anything but prolonged driving rain
- looks good on bike IMO
- tank rings work better than straps and magnets, super easy and quick to get on and off, but also secure; does not rub on paint. Easy on and off in 2 seconds when refueling.
- competitively priced especially compared to very expensive SW-Motech products
- sized just right for commuting and daily use, spare visor holder and sunglasses holder (removable) and documents compartment as well as phone compartment with viewing window. Big enough to hold coffee on morning commute or bottled water.
- neoprene pocket holds a large smart phone
- does not restrict handle bar movement or line of sight to instruments
- handy place to put your phone to charge while riding
- sunglass holder can be removed to enlarge it

Bad
- cannot be adjusted fore or aft however there is no need for this on the Versys unless you have a non stock handle bar setup, larger Givi 3D tank bags can be adjusted
- phone compartment, as all phone compartments are, does not allow touch screen use of phone and causes my phone to overheat and shut off in sunny, hot, 30C+ weather when it is simultaneously charging and constantly on displaying GPS maps. Works fine when overcast and cooler < 75F.
- neoprene phone pocket material grips rubber, so if your phone has a rubber aux case, it must first be removed before inserting phone into the pocket.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0f66bc711d1bc109515e25ba8228ba80.jpg (49.3 KB, 863 views)
File Type: jpg givi-3d603-tank-bag-pocket_3.jpg (26.7 KB, 708 views)
File Type: jpg givi-3d603-tank-bag-open_3.jpg (38.1 KB, 1491 views)
File Type: jpg givi-3d603-tank-bag-rain-cover_3.jpg (23.1 KB, 678 views)

Last edited by twowheels; 09-07-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Please post a review of it on your bike

Tank bag is nice - but it makes more sense for us to choose it of we know how it work in the Versys.

On my last day off work i rode my Versys to the store to look at tank bags. Givi 3D604 and ??307 models. Neither fit as I have 2" Rox risers and rotated my bar bar so with tank bag I could not go lock to lock. YMMV
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 07:38 AM

I'm going to ask a really dumb question, only because I have looked at these (or similar)off and on for years but have zero experience with them.

So, How do you put re-fuel? I assume it rotates or snaps into the ring, does that mean you would need to empty it in order to take it off? Does it sag anywhere and rub the tank paint?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I'm going to ask a really dumb question, only because I have looked at these (or similar)off and on for years but have zero experience with them.

So, How do you put re-fuel? I assume it rotates or snaps into the ring, does that mean you would need to empty it in order to take it off? Does it sag anywhere and rub the tank paint?
Hope the video answers your questions.

Currently SW-Motech, Givi and Cortech all have a different proprietary tank ring system. The plastic flange the bag clips to comes with the bag and is the same for every Givi bag. The metal ring costs ~$15US and is unique to every motorcycle make/model.

It does not sag or touch the paint when attached. The bottom of all Givi tank ring bags is rigid. The bag sits ~5mm above the tank, not on the tank.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-09-2016 at 09:33 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 09:19 AM

I have the SW-Motech and their mounting system. I also have a MotoWerk handlebar riser. This riser comes back to the rider a little bit. The bag is close to the bars, but I rarely turn lock to lock and never at speed. You do have to remove it for fueling, but it's no big deal. It is sturdy, stable and does not touch my tank.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Pictures on (dirty) bike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0414161952b.jpg (57.4 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg 0426161751.jpg (230.2 KB, 613 views)

Last edited by twowheels; 05-20-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
givi, tank bag, tank bags, tankbag

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode