• 1 Post By Bert Hockins
  • 1 Post By kohburn
  • 1 Post By Smiley
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

How I came to love my new boots...

I’ve never owned a really good pair of motorcycle boots and when I bought my Versys LT and committed to doing a lot of touring, I decided I'd save up and get a pair of really good boots too.

I chose a pair of Forma Adventure Low’s. They got here today. Not cheap, but I really liked the way they look and I liked that every review I read was positive. Couldn’t find anything else that came close.

So I ordered them online - where you don’t get to try things on. I trusted the sizing charts that said to buy the same size as your regular shoes. I wear an 11 shoe so I ordered size 11 from Forma.

I put them on and they were really comfortable. Like a fine pair of gloves. But after a minute I could feel they were just a hair too small. Maybe a quarter of a size. Just barely a bit small. Not bad - but not perfect either. I took them off and decided to try them on again in the morning. If they still didn’t feel right, I’d return them for the next size up.

When I took them off, I saw my big toenail was sticking through my sock. I’m single and admittedly hadn’t paid much attention to my toenails. (Socks either.) Realized I hadn’t cut them in a while. When I took off my sock, I saw what looked like something you’d see on Bigfoot.

The big toenail was at least a 1/2 inch long. I believe I could have cut open the side of a box with a side to side kick - if I knew how to do side to side kicks. They were so long, I actually said “damn” out loud. As if they were someone else toenails.

Anyway, I trimmed them down to normal and put the boots back on. And now report they are the most comfortable, best fitting boots I’ve ever owned. They fit perfect.

So if you’re buying Adventure Lows from Forma, buy the same size boot as your regular shoe. Not only will they look and feel awesome, they’ll also tell you when it’s time to cut your toenails!

Last edited by Bert Hockins; 03-24-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Bert - VERY nice "mea culpa"...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have only bought one pair of touring boots and I still use them today - Forma Nero.
Looks good and Forma make comfortable boots - especially for those with big feet!

I was considering the Forma Adventure (high leg) as most of ADV riders who use them swear they are the most comfortable boot they have used. Not only in riding with protection and waterproof, but off the bike as a walking boot when going to the mall or taking in some sights.

The Adventure Low's are a new style from Forma - more or a rugged urban boot than a full size ADV boot.

Glad you like them.
These will probably be my next boot (urban or high)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 10:24 AM

I've recently gotten a pair of the Forma Adventure boots. Like 'em a lot. I have had to adjust the shift lever higher, and may adjust it even a bit more. The boots aren't unnecessarily thick at the toe, but they are a lot thicker than my regular footwear.

These boots are definitely not designed for around town or high performance track/canyon riding with a lot of shifts. Shifting is a bit too clunky in the Adventure boots for that. And the boots don't fit in the Kawasaki factory luggage for storage at work.

I wear a 9.5 shoe and find the 44 European size to be ok. 43s are always a bit too tight in any brand I try. I wear a thicker pair of socks with the Adventure boot in 44 for a good fit.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 04:34 PM

Nothing worse than boots that are too tight. Our feet spread out during the day, especially doing some rigorous activities, and I fault too tight of boots to loss of my big toenails whilst snow skiing, and slight frostbite while winter fishing. I got a pair of the Alpinstar Mono Fuse last year and have found them to be very comfortable for a medium height boot that offers some protection. Same design and price range with Gor-Tex being similar to the Forma Airtech's. True to size with plenty of room for good sox.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 07:24 PM

Garage
I wear TCX Infinity Gore-Tex boots. I ride in all conditions and wanted one boot that could do it all. Nothing, and I mean nothing will keep you dry like Gore-Tex.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 11:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I wear TCX Infinity Gore-Tex boots. I ride in all conditions and wanted one boot that could do it all. Nothing, and I mean nothing will keep you dry like Gore-Tex.
Agreed. It is the only company to guarantee waterproofness. It also breaths very well which is an important feature in hotter weather. A water proof barrier is nice to have in dry, cooler weather as well, as it prevents drafts.

I currently have the Dainese TRQ Gortex Touring boots which where a recent Revzilla ZLA award winner. Very happy with them and they are the forth pair of boots I've owned. Not the cheapest option out there but possibly the most protective and well designed boot in the touring category IMO.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-28-2016 at 11:21 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 06:27 AM

I've been using the forma adventures for a year or so and love them, awesome boots.
might have to look at getting some lower ones for the daily commute. most of the time I just leave regular shoes in my desk and swap when I get in to work.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
These boots are definitely not designed for around town or high performance track/canyon riding with a lot of shifts. Shifting is a bit too clunky in the Adventure boots for that.
they wear in nicely. my shifts are smooth as anything I've ever ridden with. give it a little time and I doubt you'll have a problem with the shifting or walking.
can't help them fit in your luggage though.
Fly-Sig likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 09:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Hockins View Post

When I took them off, I saw my big toenail was sticking through my sock. Iím single and admittedly hadnít paid much attention to my toenails. (Socks either.) Realized I hadnít cut them in a while. When I took off my sock, I saw what looked like something youíd see on Bigfoot.

The big toenail was at least a 1/2 inch long. I believe I could have cut open the side of a box with a side to side kick - if I knew how to do side to side kicks. They were so long, I actually said ďdamnĒ out loud. As if they were someone else toenails.
Grooming once a month might get you a life partner ...

LOP
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 03:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post

LOP
That's a damn good reason to not groom. It's a lot easier to cut a toenail than it is to lose a wife. Socks are a lot cheaper than a divorce.

Last edited by Smiley; 03-31-2016 at 03:34 PM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 03:34 PM

Garage
Many years back I 'shortened' my right foot in a motorcycle collision (surprise, surprise!). Now I have a very difficult time when buying footwear. If any inmate here wears a size 12 left foot and a size 13 right foot, give me a shout and we'll shop for boots together!
I need a size 12 right and a 13 left, so between the two of us we could get the perfect fit.
Lours_Polaire likes this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I wear TCX Infinity Gore-Tex boots.
$500! The damn things ought to suck my toes for that kinda bread. I bought my last no name, made in Asia with generic waterproofing pair for $69. Ain't noticed any wet feet yet. If I do, I'll keep that in mind when I dry them off with a $3 towel.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 04:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
$500! The damn things ought to suck my toes for that kinda bread. I bought my last no name, made in Asia with generic waterproofing pair for $69. Ain't noticed any wet feet yet. If I do, I'll keep that in mind when I dry them off with a $3 towel.
Well, I have ridden in the remnants of Hurricanes, have done water crossings, and ride 3000 miles in a week. Since I now have over 100,000 miles on those boots, I think it is money well spent.

My rain jacket cost $200, Rain pants $100, Once piece riding suit $400, gloves $150, Helmet $500.

I rode 3000 miles last week in temps ranging from 19 degrees to 70 degrees. Rain and wind. Not an issue.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 04:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post

LOP

Theres truth to that. Use to get a manicure/pedicure once a week. Got lots of dates from going to the salons. Then came out to California in 2003 got a mani/pedi from this cute little gal next thing you know I'm moving to Cali and me and that cute little gal are still together...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Use to get a manicure/pedicure once a week.
Hmmm, that tough guy front is starting to make more sense...
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 05:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Hmmm, that tough guy front is starting to make more sense...

Not really. Got the manicures because i ran a photography studio and dealt with mostly women and i bite my nails so my hands looked like **** and women do look at your hands. While getting a manicure the girl asked if i wanted a pedicure and so i got one. I'm a big guy with big feet and it sure was nice some good looking lady rubbing your feet and legs plus it felt damn good. I'm secure enough in my manhood so it doesn't bother me. Lots of my friends wives would get me to take their husbands with me because they could't take their feet any longer and they all knew i was knocking down all kinds of a.s.s

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode