3Likes
  • 1 Post By Smiley
  • 1 Post By Smiley
  • 1 Post By HondaGalToo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Talking Kilm Riding Jeans for 300 bones?

Klim K Fifty 1 Jeans - RevZilla

Looking to buy these bad boys off of Revzilla for 289.99. Seem to be the best pants for the buck on the market right now, and the Cordura is supposed to be much stronger than Kevlar. D30 works awesome (...Long story short, my dad bought a jacket with D30, I had never heard of it, so I punched it to see if it worked and nearly broke my knuckle... so yah it works!)

Anyone else have any luck with riding JEANS before?

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Cordura is a type of denim and most definitely not stronger than Kevlar. The Kevlar is used as a liner for the jeans, in the "slide zone" as they say, and that is what protects the flesh. The 'cordura' would wear through in the first couple of metres of an 'oh sh*t' moment sliding down the road on your arse.

I have worn Draggin Jeans for several years. I bought the armour but it was a waste of money: it never stays in place and would be next to useless in a crash. It now gathers dust in a closet along with my collection of other useless crap I've purchased over the years. About the only practical way to wear the armour would be to duct tape it to knees and hips.
Lours_Polaire likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette96 View Post

Looking to buy these bad boys off of Revzilla for 289.99. Seem to be the best pants for the buck on the market right now, and the Cordura is supposed to be much stronger than Kevlar. D30 works awesome (...Long story short, my dad bought a jacket with D30, I had never heard of it, so I punched it to see if it worked and nearly broke my knuckle... so yah it works!)

Chris
Owned numerous pairs or Kevlar riding jeans plus riding pants, here's my brain dump on the subject.....

Scorpion Covert Pro Jeans seem to get great ratings from multiple sources and are much cheaper.

I would avoid Sliders from Competition Accessories - the fit is terrible unless you are deformed

I like the Drag'in Jeans Kevlar long underwear, you can wear under any pants but the armor does not stick to them - Draggin Liners Review - webBikeWorld - only issue is they are hot on hot summer days but warmer than just jeans when it is cooler.

Brosh Kevlar motorcycle cargo pants are cheap and fit really, really well, available on EBay and Amazon plus directly. I would rate them a "two wheels recommended best buy" at ~$100US including shipping from Israel where they are made. Very cool in hot weather. Recommend going up one increment in waist size when ordering - if you take a 34, order a 36, as they sit higher on the waist than jeans.

Unlike riding pants, jeans wear out due to the frequent washing they receive. The washer and dryer seem to be very hard on these IME.

IMO Kevlar riding jeans or cargo pants are a nice supplement on bright warm sunny days, to good textile or leather riding pants, not a complete replacement for them. They don't for instance work in the cool weather or rain. I prefer my Olympia Motoquest pants on dedicated rides but jeans for commuting.

Another option is good quality knee pads such as those from Icon or Alpine stars to wear under regular street pants.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-22-2016 at 05:52 PM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Cordura is a type of denim and most definitely not stronger than Kevlar. The Kevlar is used as a liner for the jeans, in the "slide zone" as they say, and that is what protects the flesh. The 'cordura' would wear through in the first couple of metres of an 'oh sh*t' moment sliding down the road on your arse.

I have worn Draggin Jeans for several years. I bought the armour but it was a waste of money: it never stays in place and would be next to useless in a crash. It now gathers dust in a closet along with my collection of other useless crap I've purchased over the years. About the only practical way to wear the armour would be to duct tape it to knees and hips.
Cordura is not denim. Cordura is used for abrasion in the best riding suits. It does not breathe and is stiff. Riding jeans that actually protect you are hot when off the bike.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette96 View Post

Chris
Chris,
It's your money spend it the way you want. But $300 for riding pants is NOT my idea of a good deal. You are paying for the name brand PERIOD. Just like their Textile riding pants and jackets that cost WAY too much IMHO. As stated above there are many other more affordable options out there that seem to offer the same or better protection. I've always been budget minded when purchasing things, so my perspective may be a little different. I KNOW you can't put a price tag on proper gear and protection while riding, but I think some manufactures play into that philosophy with their marketing and pricing.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Chris - for your $300 you can buy any number of VG riding pants, c/w armor, and probably waterproof too, that you wear OVER your jeans....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Owned numerous pairs or Kevlar riding jeans plus riding pants, here's my brain dump on the subject.....

Scorpion Covert Pro Jeans seem to get great ratings from multiple sources and are much cheaper.

I would avoid Sliders from Competition Accessories - the fit is terrible unless you are deformed

I like the Drag'in Jeans Kevlar long underwear, you can wear under any pants but the armor does not stick to them - Draggin Liners Review - webBikeWorld - only issue is they are hot on hot summer days but warmer than just jeans when it is cooler.

Brosh Kevlar motorcycle cargo pants are cheap and fit really, really well, available on EBay and Amazon plus directly. I would rate them a "two wheels recommended best buy" at ~$100US including shipping from Israel where they are made. Very cool in hot weather. Recommend going up one increment in waist size when ordering - if you take a 34, order a 36, as they sit higher on the waist than jeans.

Unlike riding pants, jeans wear out due to the frequent washing they receive. The washer and dryer seem to be very hard on these IME.

IMO Kevlar riding jeans or cargo pants are a nice supplement on bright warm sunny days, to good textile or leather riding pants, not a complete replacement for them. They don't for instance work in the cool weather or rain. I prefer my Olympia Motoquest pants on dedicated rides but jeans for commuting.

Another option is good quality knee pads such as those from Icon or Alpine stars to wear under regular street pants.
You're washing your jeans too often if you're wearing them out. I wash my jeans once every 20-30 times I wear them, maybe. I started doing this on the advice of the owner of a designer jean company, and that's more often than he recommends. Spot cleaning happens when I get them dirty.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
If I wore clothing for 20-30 days before washing it I'd probably scare people with my 👃
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 11:52 PM

They look awesome. If they're what you want then buy them, you'll never regret owning quality stuff.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 07:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Cordura is not denim. Cordura is used for abrasion in the best riding suits.
From Klim web site:

"Woven from comfortable Cordura Denim and reinforced with DuPont™ Kevlar® in the slide zones"
chadams66 likes this.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 08:29 AM

I have a pair of Lean Angle Jeans. Lean Angle Jeans
They are fully kevlar lined, not just the knees/hips/butt, and come with Forcefield armor in the knees and hips.
They fit true to size. I've been happy with them.
chadams66 likes this.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
From Klim web site:

"Woven from comfortable Cordura Denim and reinforced with DuPont™ Kevlar® in the slide zones"
I stand corrected. Cordura is the brand name and they make different fabrics. The cotton blend denim you mentioned, and also the ballistic material used in the slide zones of high end riding gear. Learned something new.

CORDURA® Brand - Fabric Technologies

I have had various riding jeans over the years and I still stand behind the statement that they are very warm off the bike compared with a pair of wranglers.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 10:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

I have had various riding jeans over the years and I still stand behind the statement that they are very warm off the bike compared with a pair of wranglers.
Agreed. My Draggin Jeans are quite warm in hot weather but are still cooler than my cold weather leather pants over jeans.

I'm willing to put up with heat for the additional protection of kevlar-lined versus (Versys?) regular jeans that would disintegrate after sliding maybe two metres on pavement.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 01:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
From Klim web site:

Cordura Denim is a blend of cotton (denim) and nylon
Combined, it gives the Cordura Denim

CORDURA® Brand - CORDURA® Denim Fabric

LOP

Last edited by Lours_Polaire; 03-23-2016 at 01:38 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 02:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
If I wore clothing for 20-30 days before washing it I'd probably scare people with my 👃
You only have 1 set of clothing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode