Mesh riding pants recommendation? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Mesh riding pants recommendation?

My mesh riding pants need replacing (they've "shrunk" over the winter! )

I tend to ride a lot in hot weather. I'm looking for something with lots of ventilation (above the knees) and ballistic armor.

Does anyone have recommendations for mesh pants, with pockets & side zippers to allow "boots on" putting on and taking off? Oh, and an adjustable waist.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 03:45 PM

These are excellent warm weather pants and currently on closeout at Revzilla- Olympia Airglide 3 Pants - RevZilla
twowheels likes this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

I use several brands. "FirstGear" makes good ones, as do "Tourmaster".

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 01:10 PM

I very much like my Joe Rocket 2.0 Mesh/Textile pants. I like even more that I won them new on ebay for $51.
Lours_Polaire likes this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 09:11 AM

Garage
I'ma hit this up and bring it back, hoping someone has done some shopping recently. I too am looking for some riding pants. I have cold weather insulated/wet weather pants, but its not what I need now.

I'm in Arkansas, its 90 in the beginning of June, it'll be 100+, with 80% humidity, and it won't get nicer until October, nor will we even have any rain until then. I Need MESH. White mesh. Its like no one makes one season, hot as balls, summer mesh overpants/chaps. In w-h-i-t-e. The damnation of bikers is everything is always black, black textile or black leather. In the south... where its hot...

So, who makes; white, mesh, overpants/chaps that zip up the legs, I can wear over shorts so I can ride to work and have my shorts on all day, and easily don these pants when I'm ready to get back on the bike. With NO insulation, NO wet weather proof liners, NO 3 season bs, just straight up hot miserable riding pants to offer me key protection points so I don't have to either wear regular pants/jeans over my shorts. Any takers?

I've seen a few pair, they have some of the features, like PinkFloyd said the Airglide 3s, which are close, but still too much crap (and the Airglide 4's are out btw) The JoeRocket isn't what I'm talking about either. And Tourmaster (Tracker Air Pant) has one pair that's for warm weather, but its just a dark silver/grey color. They do begin to zip at the knees, and actually turn into shorts if you want.

I did find a pair from Icon (Anthem 2 Mesh) that's close, hits all the blocks BUT full length zippers. And I might go with them, as being the closest to what I want. Also, I can do $120, and that's one major thing. Who wants to spend $400 on pants? If you keep it simple and one season, just mesh and some pads it can be cheap. And the biggest deal for me is WHITE. I mean, I guess all these companies no one has ever been in the heat, and don't understand heat, and sun, and black material... Which is why I have full white summer gear, white helmet, jacket, gloves. Not to mention its easier to see.

I think that was a bit of a rant as well, or just me whining Anyways, anyone find cool stuff? So far, all I've found close, are those Icon pants. They'd be perfect if they only had full length zippers. But as far as being picky, I'd just have to settle on them.

Or, maybe I need to begin my own summer only riding gear company

Last edited by MrSchaeferPants; 06-10-2016 at 09:27 AM.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mine are silver colored - I don't want black ones either! - and are TOURMASTER VENTURE, but I find that they do NOT pass as much air as the ones I have in AZ, tho' they do all the things you asked about....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 11:53 AM

Garage
Olympia make really excellent stuff for the mid range price point. Also check out the Israeli made, Brosh Kevlar riding cargo pants. They are cheap ($100), stylish, and fit well, and very well made although you will need to order additional armor pads. They are also very cool in hot weather, cooler than jeans due to construction. As they sit higher on the waist you will need an accurate waist measurement at the belly button. One caveat, the Cargo pant style with it's above the hips waist style may not fit well if you are on the very obese side.

I think side zippers that go all the way up to the waist, are unnecessary since no riding pants work well over jeans, especially mesh pants. They also fit better if you order your actual size rather than one size too big to fit over jeans. Most comfortable hot weather option IMO is to wear over cool max type underwear.

http://www.brosh.com/Default.asp?sType=0&PageId=92038
Sometimes you can find these on EBay with free shipping.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-10-2016 at 12:06 PM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 11:54 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i got some fieldsheer i got from an inmate here and so far i love them,

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 02:03 PM

I have these in black and really like them so far. If you can live with silver with a little black trim give them a look. One poster wanted to put them on over boots-I don't think you can do that with these, but you might with the Sliders All Season 2 pants on this same site. Have about 3 rides on mine and really like them as a combo of air flow and good armor protection.
Sliders Scaldare Mesh Pants - Competition Accessories

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 02:05 PM

Garage
All manufacturers make the mating zippers slightly different. Some have cross compatibility.

Get a pair that mate to your jacket. Eliminates jacket ride up / pants slouching, and road rash from separation in a slide.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 04:18 PM

Garage
If you ride in very hot weather, like 95+, you might want to reconsider mesh. I was just reading an article the other day (here) talking about how once the air temp is over 93 degrees, that hot air moving over your body increases your temp, instead of decreasing it. So you want to reduce the velocity of the air so that there is still enough to cause sweat evaporation, but thats all.

But I think that if you use external water, that then the additional flow would be helpful until you dry out though. This is what I've tended to do when riding in 95+ temps. Add water! I remember one ride in 100+ temps where I would stop every hour, go get water from a gas station bathroom and soak my t-shirt. I stayed very comfortable.

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/i..._62-66_Hot.pdf
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 04:49 PM

Garage
I have a pair of Rev'It Tornado pants in white/silver. I was actually really surprised at how much air they flow. Much more comfortable than blue jeans (duh). They have the full inseam zipper and come with knee armor. There are pockets for hip armor and that is about $40 more. They have them on closeout at Revzilla and I also think Twisted Throttle carries them. Cycle Gear had the same thing but they were a blend of black and white and the model number indicates that they were exclusive to CG (ironically due to the CG in the model number).

Mel

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 04:49 PM
Banned

Here's something that may interest you.............

Klim Dakar In The Boot Pants - RevZilla
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
I very much like my Joe Rocket 2.0 Mesh/Textile pants. I like even more that I won them new on ebay for $51.
I have the same pants, though I didn't get that smoking deal. I'd also recommend them. Nice, but I'm sure most of the major brand names are these days.
I won a Firstgear mesh jacket last year at the dealership and it is also fantastic.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
All manufacturers make the mating zippers slightly different. Some have cross compatibility.

Get a pair that mate to your jacket. Eliminates jacket ride up / pants slouching, and road rash from separation in a slide.
Too big a PITA for me. I buy suspenders for my riding pants. Much easier than trying to wrestle with that damn zipper behind your back when nature calls.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 05:09 PM

Garage
I have an Olympia Stealth one piece suit that is mesh.......but it isn't white. I've had it for several years and it still looks pretty good. It would look better if I'd wash it. It's silver/grey and shows plenty of dirt. I can't imagine what a white one would look like after a week of riding. You can wear shorts or whatever under it if you want......if you're real daring you could go commando I guess.

It is much cooler than my Roadcrafter or Darien in high heat and I wear it for local rides.

Zirconx is correct about temps above 93 degrees.......especially in low humidity. I wore my Roadcrafter one-piece suit out west a few years ago and it was 108 degrees and 3% humidity in Dumas, TX and I was heading to Trinidad, CO. I found myself zipping up the Roadcrafter to my chin to keep the wind off in an attempt to conserve water. It sounds counter-intuitive but it is correct. Cooling vests work well too in arid conditions. I tried mine in Arkansas when I got it.....never cooled me off and it took four days to dry out completely hanging in my garage. Humidity sucks!

With all of that said I still wear mesh riding locally without hesitation. Good luck on your search. White mesh will be difficult to find in anything other than women's apparel I would imagine.
Mike
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 12:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Too big a PITA for me. I buy suspenders for my riding pants. Much easier than trying to wrestle with that damn zipper behind your back when nature calls.
A little yoga, and weight loss would improve your quality of life.

I mean, if you can't reach around to through back of your waist...

My Versys Travels:

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
A little yoga, and weight loss would improve your quality of life.
Do they sell beer?

As you said, beside the fact that it is a PITA to diddle with behind your back, no two seem to be the same and I have jackets I wear from different mfgs, some of which don't have any zippers. Suspenders work with any of my pants and keep my pants up even if I take the jacket off and go for a walk.
FWIW, Reg Pridmore was the only guy I knew of that would allow you to do track days in textile gear. As it wasn't a big deal enough for me to go spend a grand on a leather suit, he got my money. He did require that you had to have pants that zipped to the jacket though. Not sure if he's still hustling track bucks these days though...
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 06:46 AM

Another vote for Olympia, I'm impressed with the quality and features of their stuff, even after owning the "gold standard" of textiles - the Aerostich. I actually like the looks and features of the Olympia items better.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 07:47 AM

Garage
I think every jacket, and my winter over pants have the back zipper, I think its pretty standard on everything new. I've never used it though.

As far as the cooling effect of sweating and hot temps I've read a few articles and I try to spread the word to new younger riders, as the older ones stand firm with t-shirts and no helmet. But I've done some play testing, I'm very noticeably cooler with a mesh white jacket, than a t-shirt (and don't get burned!). Likewise cooler with a mesh jacket, than a solid one. No sun on my skin, good airflow, but not enough to blow ALL of the sweat away, so I still get cooled. The article I read, and what I experienced called it creating a micro climate in your jacket. Enough moisture remains so you don't dry out, and enough gets blown around for the sweat to create its cooling effect.

But anyhoo. I have seen quite a few of these pants in my searches. I'm just being picky. I too have seen Cycle Gears white mesh pants. I have their white mesh jacket. (It can stay relatively clean ) Sedici has a ok set, it zips up the ankle a bit, probably enough to get past boots or shoes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode