Gear for everyday riding - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gear for everyday riding

I'm pretty new to riding and I live near the mountains, does anybody have any advice on the best everyday riding shoes and pants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I don't like heavy boots. I got a pair of these last year and have been very happy with them. All day comfort to walk in......TCX X-Square Evo Waterproof Boots :: MotorcycleGear.com

I prefer a mesh jacket and jeans I have riding pants but the armor irritates me. ....The link above always have great deals on stuff. I normally wear a size 13 boot but a 12.5 was perfect in these boots.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:23 PM

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I don't like heavy boots. I got a pair of these last year and have been very happy with them. All day comfort to walk in......TCX X-Square Evo Waterproof Boots :: MotorcycleGear.com

I prefer a mesh jacket and jeans I have riding pants but the armor irritates me. ....The link above always have great deals on stuff. I normally wear a size 13 boot but a 12.5 was perfect in these boots.
Alright thanks those aren't a bad price either! And I have a pretty nice jacket already
weljo2001 likes this.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:33 PM

I just picked up those boots for my dad. He hasn't had a chance to ride with them so I don't know how well they ride
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyvsSpy View Post
I just picked up those boots for my dad. He hasn't had a chance to ride with them so I don't know how well they ride

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:

Those look like wrestling boots.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 04:12 AM

i like icon superduty boots for work. i wear normal armored riding kit.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 01:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Those look like wrestling boots.

Kinda but their comfy...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 02:05 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You say you live up by the mountains.....well l did in Vegas, so are you're mountains cold & snowy or hot & rocky???

Do you have an unlimited budget, what is your style of riding, are you strictly blacktop or an avid offroader..........You need to give us more info if you want a proper answer other than people just telling you what they wear for their environment!

I get some of my budget gear from this website, but be aware that you need to order at least one size larger than you usually wear if it's not a big name/brand product within their catalogue.

Motorcycle Helmets, Gear, Parts & Accessories - Cycle Gear
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by InboundNoah View Post
I'm pretty new to riding and I live near the mountains, does anybody have any advice on the best everyday riding shoes and pants.
I planted one bike under a bus everyday riding home from work. I planted another in a deer everyday riding after a bike wash.

I'd suggest you buy the best protective gear that's comfortable enough to wear everyday. Ya never know the every day your number is up. Luck favors the prepared...
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 05:28 PM

Garage
Draggin Jeans and Motorcycle boots
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I am a big fan of four season textile adventure style of gear. It is characterized by a solid outer shell with lots of opening vents for hotter weather but adapts to cold weather with a separate interior wind water barrier that can be zipped it plus a thick insulating barrier that can be zipped it.

Suggest looking at Rev'It Sand, Olympia Transition gear, and similar gear from other manufacturers.

WRT riding boots pretty much any boot will protect you UNLESS your bike falls on your foot and drags you. In that case you need decent motorcycle boots. This is what I wear. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/d...q-tour-goretex Goretex is nice in cooler weather as the water proof barrier blocks the cold air plus they are water proof for the rain.

Last edited by twowheels; 02-26-2016 at 06:11 PM.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 06:12 PM

Climate where you live and ride plays a big role in this decision.

Warmer (above 75*F) I like Olympia Airglide pants and jacket, Sidi air boots (lighter ones like the Traffic model).

Cooler to cold weather, I like my Aerostitch Roadcrafter. New ones are rather pricey, but you can sometimes get barely-used ones on eBay for much, much cheaper. Alpinestars gore-tex boots for cold or wet are good. Mine are so old that I think they call that model something else now.

Armored gloves are nice to have during any sort of get off since your hands will almost certainly take a hit. There's a huge variety out there. These are a steal at $20 if they have your size. I got some red ones to match the '08 Versys. Really nice gloves too - Cortech Latigo RR Gloves - Sportbike Track Gear
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 07:01 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFloyd View Post

These are a steal at $20 if they have your size. I got some red ones to match the '08 Versys. Really nice gloves too - Cortech Latigo RR Gloves - Sportbike Track Gear
Did your regular size fit you Floyd or did you go a size larger than usual??

I want the black but they're out of stock.....
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
You say you live up by the mountains.....well l did in Vegas, so are you're mountains cold & snowy or hot & rocky???

Do you have an unlimited budget, what is your style of riding, are you strictly blacktop or an avid offroader..........You need to give us more info if you want a proper answer other than people just telling you what they wear for their environment!

I get some of my budget gear from this website, but be aware that you need to order at least one size larger than you usually wear if it's not a big name/brand product within their catalogue.

Motorcycle Helmets, Gear, Parts & Accessories - Cycle Gear
I'm in the mountains of South Carolina so the weather is usually around 70-80 degrees. And I'm on a budget and I'm riding mainly on blacktop. Sorry for the lack of info I'm new to riding and the site.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 07:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
I'm in the mountains of South Carolina so the weather is usually around 70-80 degrees. And I'm on a budget and I'm riding mainly on blacktop. Sorry for the lack of info I'm new to riding and the site.

Ah use to live in the Low Country. Moncks Corner, Dorchester and Yemassee...Still have a sister in Harleyville. Next time you get by some "Boiled Peanuts" have a sack for me...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

Ah use to live in the Low Country. Moncks Corner, Dorchester and Yemassee...Still have a sister in Harleyville. Next time you get by some "Boiled Peanuts" have a sack for me...
I know where that is! Everytime I pass a penut stand I have to stop get some for myself.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
Did your regular size fit you Floyd or did you go a size larger than usual??

I want the black but they're out of stock.....
Based on previous reviews, I went with the XXL even though I normally can fit into XL. In these gloves, the XXL fits me perfectly.

I would've also gotten the all black if they had them, but the red or blue look pretty good too. Courtech makes some nice gloves. I've got track school (first timer) scheduled in mid-April. Taking the V and wearing these gloves for sure.
my2wheels likes this.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
You're likely to come across temperature changes with elevation, plus surprise rain, on a day long outing. Versatility is going to be your friend.

Here we are colder in the winter and much lower humidity year round. Summer days can be hot, 90's, but dry except for the thunderstorms. So my picks may not totally transfer to your summer climate.

Anyhow, I have a First Gear mesh jacket with a zip-out windproof waterproof liner. I wear it 4 seasons without problems at all. In the winter I'll wear a sweatshirt underneath it. The Versys windshield does a good job of keeping the wind off of the body, so you don't need a crazy winter snowmobiling suit to stay warm!

I love my Draggin' Jeans for all but the coldest days. The lower fairings on the Versys also do a good job of deflecting the wind. When I tuck my legs close to the bike they even stay dry in light rain! Draggin' Jeans feel about like wearing thin long underwear under a pair of jeans, so they are a bit warm when sitting still at a traffic light on a hot summer day, but once moving they are fine. Order exactly the size you are, which means get out a fabric tape measure and measure yourself. Don't trust the size printed on your regular blue jeans!

Get an inseam that is long enough. You don't want your ankles in the breeze on a cool day. You want the jeans to touch the floor when you are barefoot.

I also have a pair of Sedici over pants. These have a mesh outer layer plus some armor. These are fine in warm weather down to 55 degrees. The zip out waterproof windproof layer has been fine for me down to 32 degrees. I've never had to install the inner insulated layer!

You'll want good protective gloves. Dress for the crash, not the ride. I like AlpineStars because of the web attaching the pinky to the ring finger. In a crash, pinkies frequently get badly dislocated and broken. That web helps prevent those injuries. Look for hard armor across the knuckles. The AlpineStars Valparaiso Waterproof are perfect from below freezing on up to 55 degrees. Above that they are a bit warm. You probably want something a bit less insulated where you live. If you've got handguards on your bike you won't need as much insulation on cooler days.

Long cuffs will move water and air outside of your jacket sleeves rather than inside. On a hot day you might prefer the air inside the sleeves, but on cool or rainy days you won't. Several different pairs of gloves make sense.

A top box of some sort is handy to stash your zip out liners, etc. I've got a Nelson-Rigg semi-soft bag which straps to the passenger seat. It holds a full face helmet when I'm at work, or holds snacks, spare sunglasses, different gloves, etc etc for a fun day ride. Nelson-Rigg | Sport Touring : CL-1060-ST Sport Touring Motorcycle Tail/Seat Bag

For boots, I suggest you watch the videos and read the reviews on a site like Revzilla.com . Because your feet and lower leg are fairly well out of the main airstream, you probably want a boot that has good ventilation rather than all leather.

Last edited by Fly-Sig; 02-27-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode