Need a stand, carport is gravel...advice? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

2Likes
  • 1 Post By silviefox
  • 1 Post By kohburn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Need a stand, carport is gravel...advice?

Need a stand for doing general maintenance, but my carport is gravel and not level. Would I be better off with something like a wheel chock than trying to do spindles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 03:35 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
get a peace of ply wood and work on top of it, it will give you flat place for stands and makes it harder to loose bolts and nuts, also nice if you add carpet to it
kohburn likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

That's smart. I found a harbor freight that doesn't require spools that looks decent.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 05:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
That's smart. I found a harbor freight that doesn't require spools that looks decent.

I still have one of these i would use with the Versys. Just run the bike on it the wheel get locked in to the chock and hop off. I still secured it with 2 tie-downs just in case. You could mount this on a piece of plywood if you wanted.1800 Lb Capacity Motorcycle Stand/Wheel Chock

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Oh nice thanks.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
get a peace of ply wood and work on top of it, it will give you flat place for stands and makes it harder to loose bolts and nuts, also nice if you add carpet to it
marine grade (treated) plywood and you can leave it outside year round. but even untreated will last a couple years out of the rain. spill enough used oil on it and it becomes water and insect proof
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 08:53 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
marine grade (treated) plywood and you can leave it outside year round. but even untreated will last a couple years out of the rain. spill enough used oil on it and it becomes water and insect proof
when not in use set up on end onto a couple 2x4s to keep it off ground and it will last forever

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
when not in use set up on end onto a couple 2x4s to keep it off ground and it will last forever
non marine grade will start to delaminate from repeated rains. keep it out of the rain and off the ground and it will last a long time. a good "oil" based stain will also help protect it
silviefox likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 12:16 PM

you can also get a couple of the 20" patio pavers from the hardware store and level a small parking/work area
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 02:38 PM

Yep... I use pavers...

I have a stack of them. I usually use them to build a ramp to get my wife's Charger up high enough to reach the oil pan, as my metal ramps are too steep to clear the frontend. I rearrange the stack when I need a platform to work on the V. It's a mild pain in the backside, but I had the pavers left over from another project.

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode