• 1 Post By kohburn
  • 1 Post By silviefox
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By Cheftyler
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

cheapo chinese go-pro copy

So i didn't care a whole lot about all the extra features of current go pro or spending all that money, but I did want to have some fun with filming some rides as well as filming my commutes for legal purposes should someone decide to cause an accident.

Enter the GearBest: Online Shopping - Best Gear at Best Prices website and this particular unit for under 30$

A9 HD 1080P MJPEG 2 inch LCD IP68 30m Waterproof Sports Action Camera DVR-30.58 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

while it does record in 1080, i was not impressed with the clarity of the image and went with a lower resolution for higher frame rate and smaller file size.

here is the first sample run from my dark 5am commute (50 minutes cut down to under 3 minutes ) you will have to excuse the massive watermark, i'm still looking around for what video editing software to use if anybody has a suggestion on software please chime in.

twowheels likes this.

Last edited by kohburn; 02-01-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 09:04 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
lol thats a knock off of my knock off (SJ4000)
only thing i can say is watch out for over charging the battery, it doesnt seam to be protected (here is mine after being plugged in for about a week in the camera

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160124_121809 (1).jpg (39.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 20160124_121835 (1).jpg (39.9 KB, 55 views)
Lours_Polaire likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the heads up - i rarely leave anything charging more than overnight.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 09:37 PM

batteries are the main issue with the cheaper go-pro knock offs...either they are very limited to run time or don't last long due the charging issues mentioned...I too used the filmora software to edit a ride video...I didn't want to pay to remove the watermark either..but I did like the software...I went with the Sony HDR-AZ1 and wrist screen/controller for $245...I like it's small frontal area and it's added features like GPS tracking...one of the main things I needed was removable batteries for those all day rides...with a 64GB micro card I can also get a whole day's (up to 8 hours) ride...the knock-offs had just hit the market when i was buying and were known to be a real hit or miss proposition..but you can get 5-10 of them for what i paid...

Last edited by chadams66; 02-01-2016 at 09:50 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 10:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
thanks for the heads up - i rarely leave anything charging more than overnight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
batteries are the main issue with the cheaper go-pro knock offs...either they are very limited to run time or don't last long due the charging issues mentioned...I too used the filmora software to edit a ride video...I didn't want to pay to remove the watermark either..but I did like the software...I went with the Sony HDR-AZ1 and wrist screen/controller for $245...I like it's small frontal area and it's added features like GPS tracking...one of the main things I needed was removable batteries for those all day rides...with a 64GB micro card I can also get a whole day's (up to 8 hours) ride...the knock-offs had just hit the market when i was buying and were known to be a real hit or miss proposition..but you can get 5-10 of them for what i paid...

id recomend getting a chargeing station with extra batteries (under $20) and also if you would like here is something to help your videos
Sony Creative Software - Download: Vegas Pro 11

TheQuickZcoper - Sony Vegas 11.zip | Game Front

its what i use

yes im a guy.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

well I should have a real treat for you guys tonight.
It only took 2 days of riding with a helmet cam to get something exciting on video... a nice white tail deer decided to test my brakes this morning. I'll edit it up tonight.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 11:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
well I should have a real treat for you guys tonight.
It only took 2 days of riding with a helmet cam to get something exciting on video... a nice white tail deer decided to test my brakes this morning. I'll edit it up tonight.
glad you made it out ok, a couple years back my old roommate met a buck @ 70+mph

Oh Dear!! | PNW Riders

yes im a guy.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Silvie - would that, then, be a "buck-seventy"...?
Lours_Polaire and silviefox like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 09:52 PM

Garage
you need better lights on the front of that thing for your commute.

add LEDs for coverage of the whole highway right-of-way and a reflective range of 1 mile...you'll breathe easier.

been there.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

its brighter than that in real life - you can sort of tell in the video I started braking before the deer could even be seen in the video. I was able to see the deer as soon as it jumped out of the woodline which is only 10 feet off the road.

The brightest light is in the center of the view so the camera is darkening everything else. Not sure the correct "camera" terminology for that maybe white balance, shutter speed? *shrug*

I've got the Cyclops LED bulbs and it was a massive improvement over stock, haven't decided on which accessory lights to add yet.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 10:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Silvie - would that, then, be a "buck-seventy"...?
lol you and boy did the buck win, bent forks, dented gas tank, cracked motor mount and slightly bent frame

yes im a guy.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 10:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
its brighter than that in real life - you can sort of tell in the video I started braking before the deer could even be seen in the video. I was able to see the deer as soon as it jumped out of the woodline which is only 10 feet off the road.

The brightest light is in the center of the view so the camera is darkening everything else. Not sure the correct "camera" terminology for that maybe white balance, shutter speed? *shrug*

I've got the Cyclops LED bulbs and it was a massive improvement over stock, haven't decided on which accessory lights to add yet.
the proper camera term is exposure and contrast , (white balance is to prevent "wash" and shutter speed prevent blur)

yes im a guy.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

kohburn - looks to me that your headlight could be aligned better (higher). It took me quite awhile to get them right on both my Gen 1s, and jdrocks has some good ideas on aux. lighting.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
kohburn - looks to me that your headlight could be aligned better (higher). It took me quite awhile to get them right on both my Gen 1s, and jdrocks has some good ideas on aux. lighting.
I'm 90% sure its just the video - real world it lights up the woodline on both sides of the road and probably a half mile down on high beam.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 12:51 PM
Banned

I have the sj4000 chinese go-pro & l actually got it for free because l could not switch off the date stamp on my photos (vid is ok) so when l complained they gave me my money back & told me to keep the camera!!!
As for the batteries, l also got 2 extra batt's & a charger for under $8 on either Fleebay or Amazon.

Note; don't even leave them to charge overnight, 4hrs is usually re-charge time on mine.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 03:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
the proper camera term is exposure and contrast , (white balance is to prevent "wash" and shutter speed prevent blur)
In the video world it's iris and gain
In photography it's Aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.
silviefox and kohburn like this.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
...Note; don't even leave them to charge overnight, 4hrs is usually re-charge time on mine.
To be SURE you don't leave them connected for too long - run the charger thru a timer....
kohburn likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

good idea on the timer
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 12:35 PM

Garage
ok i got board and opened my battery up and it DOES have a managing circuit board on it but it looks like a part on mine fried, also after ordering a stand alone charger and looking into it it also has a on-board charge monitoring board so they SHOULD be safe being left in it as appose to left in the camera to charge

yes im a guy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode